i looked thru all the lessons and there is no lesson on trem picking. There is 2 actually but it blows. WHats a good tech and how can i get good at it?Drills? etc and technique ty
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
TremOlo picking.

And you get good by going up and down on one fret over and over and over and then throw in come scales and it turns into alternate picking.
Quote by enselmis
TremOlo picking.

And you get good by going up and down on one fret over and over and over and then throw in come scales and it turns into alternate picking.

No it doesn't, the two techniques are unrelated.

Tremolo picking is a specific technique that gives a particular sound, you play multiple instances of the same note at high speed to achieve a whirring, blurred effect.

Alternate picking is a technique used for playing individual notes where you alternate your pick strokes up and down for each note. That makes it easier to keep in time and also is inherently faster than picking in one direction because you're making use of all your movements.

You don't learn to alt pick by tremolo picking and spazzing your left hand fingers at the frets in an attmept to keep up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
No it doesn't, the two techniques are unrelated.

Tremolo picking is a specific technique that gives a particular sound, you play multiple instances of the same note at high speed to achieve a whirring, blurred effect.

Alternate picking is a technique used for playing individual notes where you alternate your pick strokes up and down for each note. That makes it easier to keep in time and also is inherently faster than picking in one direction because you're making use of all your movements.

You don't learn to alt pick by tremolo picking and spazzing your left hand fingers at the frets in an attmept to keep up.

Who are you trying to kid here. How can tremolo picking be unrelated to alternate picking Tremolo picking IS alternate picking.

TS: I'd suggest less of an ''exercise'' to improve tremolo picking but more of just working on your picking technique as a whole. On everything you pick, analyze your picking hand/attack/motion at very slow speeds. Make sure you are using a very minimal motion, one that is only large enough to get you to the other side of the string then back. Use only the tip of your pick, and experiment with angling your pick attack, it'll give a different sound/feel the more (or less) you angle it.

In other words, read the stickies/lessons around here and keep practicing efficiently.
Quote by steven seagull
I reckon it works in reverse though - you can learn to tremolo pick by learning to alternate pick, then when you reduce it to a single note for tremolo picking you can speed it up as you're not fretting any extra notes, so fretting/picking coordination isn't a limiting factor anymore.
well this is the way I learned it: loads of practise :p
if u want to do it right, your not gonna want to build speed but accuracy.
I suggest doing something truly boring as playing your open e string with alternative picking, preferably with a metronome and slowly building it up.
it sounds best when you keep a constant speed, and it will sound faster and tighter then incredibly fast but inaccurate tremolo picking.

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by fixationdarknes
Who are you trying to kid here. How can tremolo picking be unrelated to alternate picking Tremolo picking IS alternate picking.

TS: I'd suggest less of an ''exercise'' to improve tremolo picking but more of just working on your picking technique as a whole. On everything you pick, analyze your picking hand/attack/motion at very slow speeds. Make sure you are using a very minimal motion, one that is only large enough to get you to the other side of the string then back. Use only the tip of your pick, and experiment with angling your pick attack, it'll give a different sound/feel the more (or less) you angle it.

In other words, read the stickies/lessons around here and keep practicing efficiently.

It's a different kind of picking though and alt picking is as much about syncronising both hands as it is about the picking itself. You're main aim is to maintain timing and note separation and keep things consistent.

When you trem pick you want the opposite, you almost want the notes to blur together when you transition between them - the left hand is less of a concern because exact note counts aren't always an issue.

Granted if you get really fast at alternate picking then that's automatically going to enable you to trem pick with ease, but equally you can learn to trem pick even if your general picking speed is fairly modest. There seems to be an misguided belief that trem picking=fast playing that crops up fairly frequently, that you somehow have to master trem picking if you want to play fast when in reality it's another of those niche techinques that's great for adding colour and contrast but not necessarily something you rely on for the majority of your playing.

Unless you're Dick Dale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^^^^^

I agree with Seagull. The two techniques are separate techniques and as such should be treated as separate. Otherwise you're going to end up playing in a sloppy manner when you want to alternate pick if you try to 'tremolo pick' ordinary licks. Look for songs where it is applied and see how it is used. It is exactly as defined above as "...you play multiple instances of the same note at high speed to achieve a whirring, blurred effect."

To practice it id suggest starting with just open strings and a metronome. Also, a heavier pick will help quite a bit here so get one if you don't already have one. Dont try to go too fast too soon. It will only result in teaching your hand improper technique and in locking up your picking hand wrist and a hell of a lot of tension. Work slowly to get the motion correct then start increasing speed.
ty u for all the post. It seems each player has a special way they hold there pick when they do it. Joe sat,eddie van halen and others all have diff ways of holding it. 1. How do i find my way of holding it. See i can alternate pick but is it just a faster motion? I agree with seagull with the whurling effect.
With alternate picking ur going up and down in equal motions. Is tramilo picking the same ? Just faster?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
work on every different way to pick, with your thumb bent up, down, holding the pick between two other fingers, throw in a hybrid pick (down up pluck down up pluck), learn how to pick with elbow movement, forearm rotation, translation, oscillation, finger movement, thumb movement, scalpel picking, circle picking, and then once you have a feel for all those, go back and work on your attack, do them again playing really short staccato notes, and then legato notes, and then learn how to pick with the guitar in front of your arm instead of behind your arm, then learn how to fingerpick, learn how to alternate pick with your thumb, and index finger, then learn tresillos, then give up
The way I was taught didn't center on how to hold the pick, but more in how to hold and move your wrist.

I keep my wrist away from the strings and move my wrist like I'm shaking out a match.
Holding the pick properly is key.

As soon as I changed my pick grip, I was able to tremolo fairly fast (Misirlou fast) pretty clean with ease.
Just fukin giver. Blast into All That Remains- Six. Its pretty easy pick each note 4 times a peice. Start off kinda slow to keep accuracy high but not so slow that you lose interest cuz it dosent sound good. ****Make sure your picking is from the wrist. If its not your gonna be hella sore!!!****. Miserlou is also a pretty easy song to learn trem picking although bits of it gave me some hassles. (six is easy, just dont expect the solo to be)

edit: UG has really crappy tabs for six. Buy the tab book or read my comments on the best rated song and go from there.
Also try bits and peices of DragonForce. The intro to TTFAF is rediculously easy and trem picked (elec, not the acoustic intro)
Last edited by DimebagZappa at Oct 21, 2009,
all played on B string with palm mute.

13t 16t (trem pick 13 with 16 (also trem) thown in.
13t 20t same
13t 18t same
13t 16t same.

If ya heard the Ttfaf intro this should suffice to learn it. If not its gonna be useless.
The 20t can also be played at the 15th fret on the high E string.
The t is just trem picking dont tap it.
Quote by steven seagull
It's a different kind of picking though and alt picking is as much about syncronising both hands as it is about the picking itself. You're main aim is to maintain timing and note separation and keep things consistent.

When you trem pick you want the opposite, you almost want the notes to blur together when you transition between them - the left hand is less of a concern because exact note counts aren't always an issue.

Granted if you get really fast at alternate picking then that's automatically going to enable you to trem pick with ease, but equally you can learn to trem pick even if your general picking speed is fairly modest. There seems to be an misguided belief that trem picking=fast playing that crops up fairly frequently, that you somehow have to master trem picking if you want to play fast when in reality it's another of those niche techinques that's great for adding colour and contrast but not necessarily something you rely on for the majority of your playing.

Unless you're Dick Dale.

I know what you're getting at. It's just that how are you supposed to efficiently practice ''tremolo picking'' itself? Really you just need to work on your picking in general, and when I say alternate picking I mean the actual picking part of it, not left-hand sync. I don't feel that sitting in your chair for hours picking in an attempt to blur notes together is efficient In fact it makes young guitarists think they should spaz out their whole arm/shoulder/body in order to achieve the effect. You should still pick in the same method you do when ''alternate picking,'' only that you're not worrying about left-hand.
If you are capable at alternate picking (it's natural, you don't have to think about it), then tremolo picking will just take a little extra work. Make sure you are using a pick you are comfy with, heavier gauge picks are easier to tremolo pick with (I feel).

Also take into consideration the angle of your attack as you pick each string. Hitting the string at an angle allows the pick to slide off it easier, thus for me I find it easier to tremolo pick while standing since the guitar is at an angle.

This was a very difficult thing for me to learn, and even now I struggle with it at times when I first start playing each day (until my fingers warm up and wake up).

Practice practice practice!
By the way, tremolo picking is generally actually measured evenly against the beat - there's not many contexts where I'd not bother encouraging people to keep their transitions clear and smooth.

Even where tremolo isn't noted as a specific rhythmic division in classical music, the actual teaching traditions and techniques used will often lead to specific rhythmic divisions.

In short, even though they are different techniques as in they are used to create different colours and are used in different idioms, the physical approach should pretty much the same.

In short, TS, get your metronome out and start playing licks really well, removing tension from your playing and working from very slow upwards. And read the stickies.