Page 1 of 11
Atheist organizations have purchased a month-long campaign that will place their posters in busy subway stations throughout Manhattan.

Or at least that's what a coalition of eight atheist organizations are hoping, having purchased a month-long campaign that will place their posters in a dozen busy subway stations throughout Manhattan.

The advertisements ask the question, written simply over an image of a blue sky with wispy white clouds: "A million New Yorkers are good without God. Are you?"

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/10/21/new.york.subway.ads/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Thoughts? Opinions? Will it make any changes, piss people off?

The difference between London's "there's probably no god" to these guys' more... abrupt style is quite interesting.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yeah, it's going to piss people off, but without good reason. There are religious ads all over the place, so how is this any different. I'm a Christian but eh, I don't really care. I didn't realize there were "atheist organizations" though .

EDIT: ^Why, indeed. They're not advertising anything, they're just paying to put up a statement somewhere. If I had the money, I could do this but saying "Bacon is awesome", even if I wasn't selling bacon.
Last edited by Avedas at Oct 21, 2009,
If they bought it they can put these messages there, it's not really different to christian's continually advertising.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jGnTQDQj4&feature=PlayList&p=A6D9C4C17424F29E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

That's on Australian TV now, so I think if Christians can do that, why can't atheists do the same. I went to a Christian school and constantly got this shoved down my throat. I honestly don't understand why people who don't believe can't voice their opinions too.
I'm very much an atheist, but I don't exactly support this decision. I don't have anything against Christians (it's against the religion, not the people), but I hate it when they preach and try to turn me into one of them. Atheists trying to turn Christians into them isn't much better.
Athiests shouldn't be silenced from their opinions - I see adverts all the time on tv about some pastor trying to sell his book of motivation about how to better serve God and Jesus. Christians have so much say in politics too - people love using this argument against me, since I openly express my distaste for Christianity: "Well you shouldn't talk about your opinions because the majority does not agree with you.". People who think they're correct with how they guage life and death are going to express how they feel and argue why it is better than the alternative, it's just how it goes. Equally annoying, but both should get equal rights about representation.

Although that banner in particular I don't think is persuasive enough, tbh.
Last edited by Z_cup_boy at Oct 21, 2009,
It's about f*cking time!

Seriously though, I support the idea. I see like 200 ads a day for whatever religions, and none for atheism, which is unfair. I mean, since when does being right mean you aren't allowed to advertise it?
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
Quote by fretsonfire74
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-jGnTQDQj4&feature=PlayList&p=A6D9C4C17424F29E&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=9

That's on Australian TV now, so I think if Christians can do that, why can't atheists do the same. I went to a Christian school and constantly got this shoved down my throat. I honestly don't understand why people who don't believe can't voice their opinions too.

That's the ad I was talking about
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Athiests shouldn't be silenced from their opinions - I see adverts all the time on tv about some pastor trying to sell his book of motivation about how to better serve God and Jesus. Christians have so much say in politics too - people love using this argument against me, since I openly express my distaste for Christianity: "Well you shouldn't talk about your opinions because the majority does not agree with you.".

That's like a huge flashing sign saying "Don't argue with me, I'm obviously a tool."
This is good.

But they need to make it more brutal.

Like a slayer album cover.
I am a postmodern vegetarian, I eat meat ironically.
Quote by Kensai
That's like a huge flashing sign saying "Don't argue with me, I'm obviously a tool."

Oh good fvcking lord I hear it all the time. I get discriminated against badly for not accepting christianity. Bleh.
I saw one once somewhere that said

"There is no god, arn't you happy now? Enjoy your day"

Or something along those lines
Atheists are always complaining about getting religion shoved down their throat. IMO they're trying to do exactly the same thing right now.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Oh good fvcking lord I hear it all the time. I get discriminated against badly for not accepting christianity. Bleh.

Pull out some albert einstein quotes, yo.

Quote by Green_Jelly
Atheists are always complaining about getting religion shoved down their throat. IMO they're trying to do exactly the same thing right now.

Not really. Atheism isn't a religion
This could will probably rub some theist's vaginas the wrong way.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Kensai
Pull out some albert einstein quotes, yo.

Not really. Atheism isn't a religion

It could still be considered a doctrine that could be shoved down someones' throat. But whatever, people are always going to express their beliefs and reasons. It's just how people are.
I think this is a cool story bro. Give those religious zealots a taste of their own medicine.
There is no god.

there is no point in talking about god.

the subway ads are retarded.

that is my opinion.

it's just to create unnecessary controversy. Lets not let atheism turn into what Christianity has turned into.
Quote by Norphin
Atheists trying to turn Christians into them isn't much better.

I think it is, partially because religion is fairly unnecessary now, a lot of it is just used for money grubbing and stuff particularly in the United States. I doubt they'll convince many people though, such posters usually don't.

I think this is good because it raises awareness. Atheists aren't exactly the most loved group in the United States and that's mostly out of ignorance and/or religious propaganda.

I have personally gotten sick of seeing those Jesus All About Life Ads on TV. Mostly just because it seems to ALL be about Christianity these days. Despite being atheist myself, I wouldn't mind seeing "Allah is awesome" posters and stuff just for a break from the incessant Christian stuff.
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by Z_cup_boy
It could still be considered a doctrine that could be shoved down someones' throat. But whatever, people are always going to express their beliefs and reasons. It's just how people are.

It's not very close to a doctrine
Quote by WastedxYears
it's just to create unnecessary controversy. Lets not let atheism turn into what Christianity has turned into.

They're trolling?
why is this needed? Atheism isn't a real organization like christianity. It's not about money.
If people think they will have a good life when they put their hands together and pray to 'god' then let them do that. Chirstianity is a manipulating religion imo. They want more christians so they have more money as you can sometimes see in those ridiculous tv shows 'donate money to proof that you love god'. And people actually do that.
Atheism is a choice you make when you stop and think for at least 2 seconds.
So i don't know why these adverts are needed
Quote by Kensai

The difference between London's "there's probably no god" to these guys' more... abrupt style is quite interesting.

First advert I saw on the side of a bus when I moved into London
Quote by Kensai
It's not very close to a doctrine

They're trolling?

It's a concept that doesn't accept religious idealogy. You can still "indoctrinate" someone with that concept.
They're just expressing their opinions though. Some might take it as indoctrination, but I don't.
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches" - The guy on your hundred.

They should banner that
With all the religious crap and misinformation deliberately spread by religious groups, it's hardly anything to get worried about. Although there'll be some theists that are going to go fucking nuts as all hypersensitive, misinformed idiots do.

A bit like that.

Although a bigger priority is Kensai's avatar change back to Frusch with the santa hat. Abnormal observation ftw!
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by Athabasca
I think it is, partially because religion is fairly unnecessary now, a lot of it is just used for money grubbing and stuff particularly in the United States. I doubt they'll convince many people though, such posters usually don't.

I think this is good because it raises awareness. Atheists aren't exactly the most loved group in the United States and that's mostly out of ignorance and/or religious propaganda.

I have personally gotten sick of seeing those Jesus All About Life Ads on TV. Mostly just because it seems to ALL be about Christianity these days. Despite being atheist myself, I wouldn't mind seeing "Allah is awesome" posters and stuff just for a break from the incessant Christian stuff.

Ooh! Ooh!

I saw a 1800-Why-Islam billboard just the other day!
I don't think that theological ideas should be advertised. People should come to a conclusion based on life experiences rather than what is thrown at them.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Remember seeing a revue at the Fringe about the Alpha Course.

"The Alpha course - it's great! It's not really so much of a course as, well, church."
Last edited by webbtje at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by breadstick
I don't think that theological ideas should be advertised. People should come to a conclusion based on life experiences rather than what is thrown at them.

People usually develop their opinions on what is thrown at them though.
*cough*propogandainthenews*cough*
Whats the point of advertising a belief?

I understand Religious folk doing it to generate more people and get more money. Atheist don't have anything to gain other than saying "we are not bad people".
Waste of money. Buy a ****ing boat or something.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by dann_blood
Although a bigger priority is Kensai's avatar change back to Frusch with the santa hat. Abnormal observation ftw!

I like it

Awesome pic btw, really sums it up

Quote by Ledforthehead
Whats the point of advertising a belief?

I understand Religious folk doing it to generate more people and get more money. Atheist don't have anything to gain other than saying "we are not bad people".

Well that is quite alot to gain. Plus more atheists = less theists. Which in turn leads to less creationism, which makes my pants glow with happiness.
Quote by Kensai

Which in turn leads to less creationism, which makes my pants glow with happiness.

DANGER DANGER

HIGH VOLTAGE
Trolling real life. They're getting no gain at all, so what's the point?
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
Quote by Kensai
I like it

Awesome pic btw, really sums it up

Well that is quite alot to gain. Plus more atheists = less theists. Which in turn leads to less creationism, which makes my pants glow with happiness.

That statement would be win minus the last part.
Quote by breadstick

That would be a strange world.

Quote by webbtje
DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Oh there's high voltage. Ifyouknowwhatimean.

Quote by Z_cup_boy
That statement would be win minus the last part.

Right, riight