I have question guys... is it better that riff follows solo... or just to improvise solo from my mind (by this i mean that solo is very different from riff) ? im rather new in improvising...
What we play is life...
One more question... since i am writing in GP my stuff... i have problems with drums on solo... i have listened to many song about the drums in solo... but i cant get the idea... should i slow the drums down... or just continue the beat with them as in riffs or something else?
What we play is life...
Quote by h0ly_danc3r
I have question guys... is it better that riff follows solo... or just to improvise solo from my mind (by this i mean that solo is very different from riff) ? im rather new in improvising...

It's better when you play what sounds good to you, and not worry about what your "supposed" to do.

if your not sure what sounds good to you, spend some time learning solo's that you like. If you have the background, study the solo's from a theoretical perspective (what key it's in, what scales are used....ect)

Learning to solo is something you develop over time.
shred is gaudy music
most important things when soloing:
1 - feel the music
2 - listen to the rythm guitar/bass/'play' the riff youre soloing over in your head + listen to yourself.
Last edited by dogmax at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by h0ly_danc3r

well that's a rather broad question. You always want to play from your head and not your fingers, although whats in your head might not be adequate/ not able to translate it easily enough yet. What is important is that you train your ear constantly, and that will dictate what you play, always. Learn some chord and scale theory to help you as well.
Quote by h0ly_danc3r
One more question... since i am writing in GP my stuff... i have problems with drums on solo... i have listened to many song about the drums in solo... but i cant get the idea... should i slow the drums down... or just continue the beat with them as in riffs or something else?

could you please rephrase that?

It's a little hard to understand?

Are you talking about what the drums do during a solo?
For this, just don't do anything that will draw too much attention away from the soloist. Keep it steady, or it will sound out of time. A bit of a crescendo and some fills toward the end of the solo generally leads into a nice chorus or verse.
What i meant was... for example... when chorus ends... On some songs drums... slow down (so to speak) and then comes solo (and this slow tempo continues trough out the song)... while in others... the drum continue its rhythm on the solo as well... but as i think this through its just depends on me whats suits me what not (i was just looking for some pointers) and what else to say then, thank you guys this helped me a lot
What we play is life...
If you're new and if its a major riff/song go up an octave to the minor relative of that scale and do some improv their using pentatonic or blues form. this should give u a basic poppy sound.