Hi,
i have a 6505 and wanna tighten up the sound, maybe get a bit more bottom end, but just tighter in general if ya know what i mean, i was thinking either an EQ or OD, which do you think would be more beneficial? or if you have any other suggestion to help me that would be great
You'd definitely benefit from something like a tubescreamer. Gain all the way down, level up high.
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Tube screamer?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Leave the gain at about 4, put a decimator in the effects loop

Keeps the soiund gainy enough but without sounding too distorted

that's what my band di on these recordings on our site:

www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth

EDIT: Use the "normal gain" input
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
i have a boss NS-2 running out front and in the effects loop, if i put my gain at 4 it really seems to lack in something :S
Quote by jamesy_pwd
i have a boss NS-2 running out front and in the effects loop, if i put my gain at 4 it really seems to lack in something :S

i have my 6505's gain at 2.5 and i boost it with a tube screamer with the gain on 0 and the level on 10. this is plently of gain for me, a bit lessthan the usual 6505 user but it gives me a tight clear and defined sound.
try dialing back the gain and bosting the amp, you will hear marvelous results
EDIT: i play all kinds of metal and sometimes hardcore with these settings. even death metal, it can be done.
Last edited by samlocke14 at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by samlocke14
i have my 6505's gain at 2.5 and i boost it with a tube screamer with the gain on 0 and the level on 10. this is plently of gain for me, a bit lessthan the usual 6505 user but it gives me a tight clear and defined sound.
try dialing back the gain and bosting the amp, you will hear marvelous results
EDIT: i play all kinds of metal and sometimes hardcore with these settings. even death metal, it can be done.

yeah? what type of tube screamer? like what brand?
The DigiTech Bad Monkey is literally the best boost pedal on the cheap. It's pretty transparent (unlike a regular Tubescreamer) and has a bit more gain on tap than a regular Tubescreamer. It runs about $50 or $60.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The DigiTech Bad Monkey is literally the best boost pedal on the cheap. It's pretty transparent (unlike a regular Tubescreamer) and has a bit more gain on tap than a regular Tubescreamer. It runs about $50 or $60.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Digitech-BAD-MONKEY-Tube-Overdrive-Pedal_W0QQitemZ300356503068QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Instrument_Accessories?hash=item45eea4861c#ht_1474wt_941

like that one? (thats aussie so thats why its $100) do you reckon they could compare to something like a Maxon OD808/9?
Maxon OD-9 for sure. i tried about 4 different ones and this one really tightened up my sound. a bit pricey, but definitely worth the $$$
My Band: Throat Hammer (Blackened Thrash)

BLACKSTAR* BRIGADE

AMT ARMY- SSG SLAUGHTER

Blackstar HT100 & 4-12-Fulltone O.C.D./AMT P1-Jackson RR24RM (EMG 81 in bridge)-Ibanez RG321/SD Blackouts
Quote by rugbyguitargod
Maxon OD-9 for sure. i tried about 4 different ones and this one really tightened up my sound. a bit pricey, but definitely worth the $$$

did you try the bad monkey? price is definetly not on my side
Quote by jamesy_pwd
did you try the bad monkey? price is definetly not on my side

if price isn't on your side, then yea Bad Monkey with a Keeley Mod, if possible. that would bring you up on a semi-comparable level. i personally liked the way the Maxon sounded over a Keeley modded Tube Screamer. personal preference when it comes down to it tho.

my .02
My Band: Throat Hammer (Blackened Thrash)

BLACKSTAR* BRIGADE

AMT ARMY- SSG SLAUGHTER

Blackstar HT100 & 4-12-Fulltone O.C.D./AMT P1-Jackson RR24RM (EMG 81 in bridge)-Ibanez RG321/SD Blackouts
What I did was run the ps-5 that I just had into the pocket pod that i just had into the roland i just had on rectifier setting and yea its pretty tightened up. If you can stereo is a good thing to try.

edit: Im only saying this because it looks like you haven't updated your equipment, so I don't know what you have.
Last edited by maverick_137 at Oct 21, 2009,
Start by lowering the gain and boosting the mids a bit. If that doesn't help, have a look at some kind of tubescreamer/OD Pedal like a maxon OD808 or an ibanez TS808.
Top lel.
Quote by eyebanez333
if you're on a budget...the Bad Monkey is probably your best bet

except that the bm lacks the freq frown that's essential to tightening up a 6505.

TS, look into standard ts-type ODs (maxon, ibanez). they're a little more expensive than a bm, but they also actually do the job right the first time = cheaper in the long run.

what tubes are you using (maker)? how's you bias set? what cab are you using? what speakers s it loaded with?

looked into mods yet?

an EQ un your loop will work wonders for shaping your overall tone and will help tighten things up when used effectively. failing that, look into a sonic maximizer. i have yet to hear a sm on a 6505 that hasn't sounded amazing.
Quote by fwibble
Leave the gain at about 4, put a decimator in the effects loop

Keeps the soiund gainy enough but without sounding too distorted

that's what my band di on these recordings on our site:

www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth

EDIT: Use the "normal gain" input

You have a sexy vocalist

"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Fwibble, your bands recordings are killer! Epic tones man, would kill for that sound
Top lel.
Actually, tightening the sound doesn't mean more bottom end. It means lowering the gain and bass some and raising the mids a bit more. Just try lowering gain and raising mids some first. When all else fails, get a Danelectro Transparent Overdrive or a EQ pedal.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I can't believe only one other person has asked what speaker/cab you're using! New tubes could really help too.

Sure, you could use a pedal to work around the problem, but tweaking your existing rig will get to the root cause and give overall better results.
Quote by the memory
Fwibble, your bands recordings are killer! Epic tones man, would kill for that sound

Cheers dude,

the settings for guitars we used were:

Gibson Les Paul (EMG 81/85) ----> TS9 (all at 12 o'clock) ---> Peavey 6505 through a Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12 cab (angled)

Peavey settings:
Normal Gain input
Pre-Gain: 4
Bass: 6
Mids: 8
Treble: 7
Post Gain: 3
Resonance: 8
Presence: 7
ISP Decimator in effects loop (can't remember exact setting at time of recording)

Bottom right speaker of cab was mic'd using an SM57 and some AKG mic I can't remember the model of right now.

That's pretty much how we setup live as well, gain is slightly lower though and we use different guitars to what's on the recordings

Hope this helps
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
Last edited by fwibble at Oct 28, 2009,
Quote by the memory
Start by lowering the gain and boosting the mids a bit. If that doesn't help, have a look at some kind of tubescreamer/OD Pedal like a maxon OD808 or an ibanez TS808.

This man knows the score, I salute you!
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
Quote by Raijouta

Great advice sir.
Quote by jamesy_pwd
Hi,
i have a 6505 and wanna tighten up the sound, maybe get a bit more bottom end, but just tighter in general if ya know what i mean, i was thinking either an EQ or OD, which do you think would be more beneficial? or if you have any other suggestion to help me that would be great

Well there are a few things you can do.

1. EQ in the effects loop. Cut some of the lower frequecnys a bit and boost the ones you like, and add some mids. This will be huge for your sound. It's going to add noise though

2. a OD I personally like Tubescreames and SD-1's for tightening amps low end. Run the gain all the way down and level all the way up and put the tone at about 9:30. It will tighten it up some but make it a little muddy also

3. I'm not sure what cab you have BUT if you're running something like Green back clones or T75's in a Marshall 1960 style cab you NEED to change it. neither of the speakers have a very tight low end. I suggest you try Celestion Vintage 30's for a tighter low end (beware of the high mid spike in these)

4. Pickups. what do you have for pickups? If you are using a Les Paul or something similar with non active pickups or something even remotley PAF style it is going to be hard to get a tight low end. EMG's are a very popular high output pickup.

I personally suggest a EQ it's much more versatile then an OD and can be super helpful for more than just low end. your speakers are making a huge difference also.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by fwibble
This man knows the score, I salute you!

I'd love to try those settings out but I don't know how I'd need to alter them for the 6505+
Ideas?
Top lel.
Considering the 6505 is already a pretty middy amp I'd stay away from things with big mid boosts like Tubescreamers. The Bad Monkey has a mid boost too, but it's not as intense as a Tubescreamer.

Try them both out if you can and see what you like.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Like others have asked, what cab and pickups are you using?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Lower your mids.

There's a lot of other good advice too, but less mids make it "tighter" to my ears.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by the memory

I'd love to try those settings out but I don't know how I'd need to alter them for the 6505+
Ideas?

Give em a try, I think the 6505+ is more gainy right? Just a case of turning the gain down to compensate i would imagine.
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
Its got less gain, not enough to really make a difference but its a little "tamer" and smoother sounding i guess?
Top lel.