Hi,

was just practicing some solos. I did a full bend, heard a little pop noise and went out of tune. While tuning i noticed that the nut had slid about 1/8th of an inch towards me, and was no longer flush with the sides of neck. I pushed it back into place using my thumb, but after a while it slid out again.

So I took the strings off to see what the hell was going on, and the nut fell straight out of its groove.

What should I do? Just put on new strings and tune back up? Wood glue?

If it helps, the guitar is a Godin Freeway with a maple neck, and i've just moved to dry Brisbane (days of around 5 - 10% humidity in the last few weeks), from the tropics (around 60 - 80% humidity every day).

Also, I've noticed slight intonation problems in the last few days, could my neck just be ****ed all together?
I have no idea what condition your neck is in without seeing it..

But the nut is an easy fix. You could use some wood glue, some super glue, hell, even elmer's glue probably.. Just something to help hold it in it's right place. Then string it up, and string tension will hold it down as well. Just make sur eit's perfectly level.

I think that should do the trick.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
the big change in humidity is going to be difficult on your guitar for a while. Chances are good your neck is warping a little, but it's most likely fixable with a truss rod adjustment, unless it's twisting.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
do not use super glue -.- you want to use a glue that when warmed up will loosen so if you ever need a new nut you won't tear off half your fretboard
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
I suggest a few dabs of Titebond Original, but that's just me.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Thanks for the suggestions,

I put a few dabs of wood glue on the nut, as it can be undone if need be. Left it to dry for a few hours, and strung up my guitar.

Came back in the morning, and the nut had moved by itself!
Sounds like your neck might be a little warped. The strings should have clamped and centered the nut when you brought them to tension. Does it keep sliding to the same direction? If like, for example it keeps sliding to the right then your neck might be twisted or bent that way. The strings are always going to follow the shortest path between the bridge and the tuners, which means if your neck is straight there will be equal force from both sides, centering the nut. If the neck is not true, it will pull to one side.

This is just my opinion though, I am by no means a luthier and hopefully someone with more knowledge of the situation will chime in.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
ATLstang, you make sense. It's sliding in the same direction every time.

Had a close look at the neck just now. Looking from the bridge towards the nut it seems that it isn't all straight, it twists slightly right around the 8th fret.

Is there a way to fix the warp? I'm quite keen to try my hand in building a new one if there isn't.
Quote by DPinky
ATLstang, you make sense. It's sliding in the same direction every time.

Had a close look at the neck just now. Looking from the bridge towards the nut it seems that it isn't all straight, it twists slightly right around the 8th fret.

Is there a way to fix the warp? I'm quite keen to try my hand in building a new one if there isn't.

I'd take it to a good luthier. I really don't know what to tell you as far as fixing it, and to be honest you'd probably be better taking it to someone who knows what they're doing. This is a little more complicated than replacing pickups, I don't thing there's an internet tutorial for this kind of thing. I feel for you though, that really sucks.
Gear:
1998 PRS CE 22-10 Top Natural Finish
MIM HSS Strat-Electron Blue
Vox AC4TV
A shame that happened on a Godin. They're Canadian-made, so it makes me doubly sad to see one messing up. I love their velocity series.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.