I just got a Line 6 spider valve and it is amazing!! It is not very much fun to lug around though. Would installing some sort of wheels on the bottom be bad for the amp?
nope.. they are called "Casters" and you can get them at any hardware store. just screw them onto the bottom of the amp and you are good to go.

check to make sure your screws don't pass through the wood too far and that there isn't anything (reverb tank or summat) screwed to the base of hte cabinet.
Why don't you build a base with wheels? I did that using alluminium
Laura: Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Sam: Samick Stratocaster Copy (first guitar)
----
Marshall MG250DFX
----
Boss SD-1
Onerr Super Distortion
Quote by juniorlbj

and add more weight onto it? Besides it seems pretty expensive if it's just a line 6. With it being a line 6 i wouldn't worry about there being a reverb tank because it'll probably be digital delay anyway.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Quote by juniorlbj

and add more weight onto it? Besides it seems pretty expensive if it's just a line 6. With it being a line 6 i wouldn't worry about there being a reverb tank because it'll probably be digital delay anyway.

actually i thnk he means a base that you'd sit the amp on
That’s how we’ll know. This is not a test, oh no
This is cardiac arrest

Of a world too proud to admit our mistakes
We're crashing into the ground as all fall from grace
Quote by Demonic82
actually i thnk he means a base that you'd sit the amp on

That was in reply to this really i think -

check to make sure your screws don't pass through the wood too far and that there isn't anything (reverb tank or summat) screwed to the base of hte cabinet.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
yep. most music stores sell ernie ball remooveable amp casters for abo20 bucks. al lyou do its screw the female piece in . adn then you can remove/ put on the wheels whenever you want.
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Wheels/Casters are BAD for amps.

Tubes are very sensitive devices, especially today's modern production ones. If the tubes are hot when you move the amp your tubes will go microphonic for sure. Those tiny bits of metal that are near boiling are sensitive. Just the slightest movement can damage them.

Even when the tubes are cool it's a bad idea to expose them to vibration. Moving an amp across an uneven floor is just going to rattle up your tubes and ruin them. It's not a great idea to expose the rest of the amp to uneeded vibration.

I say man up and carry your amp.
Quote by kurtlives91

Haha ok, I'll start doing curls with my 15W in the morning for a workout
Quote by kurtlives91

Tubes are very sensitive devices, especially today's modern production ones. If the tubes are hot when you move the amp your tubes will go microphonic for sure. Those tiny bits of metal that are near boiling are sensitive. Just the slightest movement can damage them.

Even when the tubes are cool it's a bad idea to expose them to vibration. Moving an amp across an uneven floor is just going to rattle up your tubes and ruin them. It's not a great idea to expose the rest of the amp to uneeded vibration.

... not all amps use tubes.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
... not all amps use tubes.

?

the one we're talking about does.....
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by kurtlives91

I know you are a smart guy, but what you are proposing is preposterous.

guess what happens when you crank a tube amp on a cabinet...

it shakes, and it shakes a lot.

rolling one on the ground as opposed to picking it up and likely dropping it a bit every few times really poses the same problem as turning it up when its already hot. so im going to say that you are wrong in a practical sense.

as a note, i had my old marshall dropped and dragged and blasted with the stock tubes for 7 years, and they never went microphonc....
Quote by customisbetter
I know you are a smart guy, but what you are proposing is preposterous.

guess what happens when you crank a tube amp on a cabinet...

it shakes, and it shakes a lot.

rolling one on the ground as opposed to picking it up and likely dropping it a bit every few times really poses the same problem as turning it up when its already hot. so im going to say that you are wrong in a practical sense.

as a note, i had my old marshall dropped and dragged and blasted with the stock tubes for 7 years, and they never went microphonc....

Vibrating from certain frequencies is quite different than rolling along on the ground and getting bumped and jostled.

Dropping it a bit every few times? What does that mean? Do you just start walking with your amp and every few steps you let it drop and hit the ground.

It's not just me saying using casters on your amp is bad for it. Lots of tube amp experts such as Aspen Pittman and Gerald Weber have the same opinion.
I don't know how bad it could be because the new spider valve mkII comes with wheels on it, and line 6 is reallllllly good about replacing broken parts so why would they do something that would make them break down more?
Quote by megaironpriest
I just got a Line 6 spider valve and it is amazing!! It is not very much fun to lug around though. Would installing some sort of wheels on the bottom be bad for the amp?
Quote by megaironpriest
I don't know how bad it could be because the new spider valve mkII comes with wheels on it, and line 6 is reallllllly good about replacing broken parts so why would they do something that would make them break down more?
What are you doing? Trolling the forum? You seem to be set in your opinion, yet you asked the question anyway.

1 - If you wanna put caster on your little amp, just DO IT. Not like it really needs it. They aren't THAT heavy. And a proper hand truck with inflated tires is MUCH smoother than casters AND can also serve to move ALL your equipment. But if you want casters, go for it.

There's another issue that wasn't even mentioned here. If you use an extension cab, you can stack the combo on top of the cab when you play. This takes less floor space. If you have casters, you won't be able to do this unless your cab has "cups" in the top for the casters to rest in. Without this, the combo would be prone to rolling off the cab. Not a pretty event.

2 - If you want people to offer their opinions so you can summarily dismiss them, go somewhere else.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by customisbetter
so do you expect that every time the owner sets his amp down, that he will always set it perfectly so that the filaments do not vibrate at all?

Filaments?
Please don't get all technical on me, I cant comprehend.

Setting an amp down is fine, a light thud isn't going to do anything. Id be a bit more worried if the amp was still warm. Ever looked inside a tube? See all those tiny pieces of wire going all which ways. When a tube is "on" those pieces of metal and evertremy hot, near boiling. They are incredible sensitive, little vibrations can move the pieces and inside and damage them. So in that case I would be careful putting a warm up down.

TS, do you really think the Asian slave engineers who designed your amp think everything through? I am just saying casters aren't the best for amps in the long term. Like SYK a hand truck/cart would be much better. Notice touring artists put their amps in cases then on carts to move them around.

I still say man up and carry your amp. I own a few amps that a incredible heavy. I carry them, it's part of owning a tube amp. Are you guys taking your amps along with you on long runs to gigs or something?
impressive that the metal is "near boiling" when it hasn't even melted yet.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by kurtlives91
Filaments?
Please don't get all technical on me, I cant comprehend.

Setting an amp down is fine, a light thud isn't going to do anything. Id be a bit more worried if the amp was still warm. Ever looked inside a tube? See all those tiny pieces of wire going all which ways. When a tube is "on" those pieces of metal and evertremy hot, near boiling. They are incredible sensitive, little vibrations can move the pieces and inside and damage them. So in that case I would be careful putting a warm up down.

TS, do you really think the Asian slave engineers who designed your amp think everything through? I am just saying casters aren't the best for amps in the long term. Like SYK a hand truck/cart would be much better. Notice touring artists put their amps in cases then on carts to move them around.

I still say man up and carry your amp. I own a few amps that a incredible heavy. I carry them, it's part of owning a tube amp. Are you guys taking your amps along with you on long runs to gigs or something?

1) you are being silly.

2) difference betweena cart and casters is how great?

3) the TS is on UG playing a spider... what is the likelihood that he is a man?

... ok that was a cruel jab but i had to do it...
A cart with properly inflated tires (still with a bit of give, not rock-solid) will absorb a LOT of vibration as you move it. I've moved a lot of considerably more delicate things than a tube amp with one and never broken or spilled anything.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
the answer is sofa king simple.

anywhere from $30 to $200, depending on size and construction.
add a couple of straps or bungee cords and you're good to go.
use it on any of your gear, not just one piece.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by customisbetter
^not very "Metul"

I think you'll find they're mostly metal. Apart from some of the wheel...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by customisbetter
^not very "Metul"
so very true.

Having those nice cushy tires rolling effortlessly across broken pavement, paving joints, over entrance gratings and thresholds is so much less awesome than rattling the shit out of your amp as the puny plastic casters slam into any irregularities in the surface, if it's not smooth as glass.

But here's a ProTip for ya, junior. You really don't want those kinds of br00talz.
Save the posturing shiz for the stage. Get your gear there with ease and comfort.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
so very true.

Having those nice cushy tires rolling effortlessly across broken pavement, paving joints, over entrance gratings and thresholds is so much less awesome than rattling the shit out of your amp as the puny plastic casters slam into any irregularities in the surface, if it's not smooth as glass.

But here's a ProTip for ya, junior. You really don't want those kinds of br00talz.
Save the posturing shiz for the stage. Get your gear there with ease and comfort.

dude, its all about the image. you wanna look like a rockstar, not a mover guy.
Quote by customisbetter
dude, its all about the image. you wanna look like a rockstar, not a mover guy.
Ya wanna look like a rockstar,? No problem, Junior.
Get some roadies. Rockstars don't move their own rigs, ya big dope.
Quote by end_citizen
Just get some big friends and some beer.

It always works for me.
This ^

... but keep the beer out of their hands until AFTER the moving is completed.

Quote by customisbetter
i still have yet to see any evidence of amps that have malfunctioned or stopped operation because of the use of casters.
Right. Cuz there's a little sensor in all the parts that tells the service tech why each and every one of the failed, and none of those sensors ever indicated "had the shit rattled out of it by dragging across rough pavement on the casters."

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by customisbetter
so what you are saying is amps with casters break more often than amps without casters...
- I'm saying casters on an amp are mostly useless.
- I'm saying there are far better ways to move an amp than on tiny plastics wheels.
- I'm saying that rattling the crap out of your amp isn't something any person with more brains than God gave an earthworm would do, unnecessarily.
- I'm saying casters cause problems when stacking gear.
- I'm saying casters make it more likely your amp will shift about when in-transit, possibly allowing it to scuff or bang into other gear.
- I'm saying (once again) casters on an amp are mostly useless.

What are you hearing?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I cant believe you are still arguing this "custom". I'm in this for the long haul so bring it on.

The casters have poor long term effects on the amp. It's not helping your amp in anyway.

If your amp is heavy even more reason to not use casters, I would rather have casters on an object with less inertia.
Quote by customisbetter
how large are casters in your experience? like the diameter of the wheel...
Quit trolling, foo.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by customisbetter
not trolling. simply investigating the basis of his (well, i guess your) opinions...
How ya gonna look "like a rockstar" doing that?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411