i was wondering what the sound difference/feel would be between acoustic-elec/ elec acoustic. Recommenations? Thanks

EDIT: I play mostly alternative/acoustic style I already have a guitar that can handle distortion, but it would be nice if this one could to.
Last edited by WinterEagle5 at Oct 21, 2009,
uh, what?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Like a hollowbody vs reg acoustic that has an output like Nirvana's unplugged acoustic.
Ok now i understand a hollowbody will feel and sound much more like a solid body electric, and a elctro-acoustic will sound and feel much more acoustic like.
a hollow body electric guitar is NOT a "elect-acoustic"...its just a hollowbody electric guitar.

and the difference is that the hollowbody sounds weak and tinny unplugged, yet great through ELECTRIC amps. The acoustic-electric sounds great unplugged and depending the electronics in it and the EQ job that you do the acoustic-electric can also sound great plugged into a PA system or acoustic amp. Doesnt sound so great through an electric amp.

EDIT: this is kinda obvious though and its as easy as picking up a hollow body and playing for a minute and then picking up an acoustic and playing for a minute.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Last edited by Bright Light at Oct 21, 2009,
Im an idiot thats why you dont get it. I forgot the word hollowbody.

How much more is it like a solid than an acoustic? like no diff or in between?
are you asking how much an electric is like an acoustic electric?

if so, depends on the guitars. acoustic guitars are not all the same - different neck sizes and body sizes, materials and how they're made mean different feel and sound.

the martin that kurt cobain played isn't much like an electric - even a hollow body electric. i think part of the sound you're talking about is more about the amp than the guitar. an acoustic electric ovation is probably much closer in some ways.

Quote by WinterEagle5
Im an idiot thats why you dont get it. I forgot the word hollowbody.

How much more is it like a solid than an acoustic? like no diff or in between?
Last edited by patticake at Oct 21, 2009,
Im just wondering differences between Hollowbody and Acoustic electric in aspects of sound feel and playability, and some recommendations for the styles above. Thanks.
i don't find them very similar. as far as recommendations, what's your price range?

Quote by WinterEagle5
Im just wondering differences between Hollowbody and Acoustic electric in aspects of sound feel and playability, and some recommendations for the styles above. Thanks.
Quote by WinterEagle5

hollowbodies in general are gonna be easier to play than a cheap-ISH stock acoustic that hasnt had its action adjusted. Of course this isnt true for more expensive, very well built acoustics like Taylors, Gibsons, and some Martins.

Also, some acoustic pickup systems do rely on magnetic pickups and sometimes with a combination of body sensors (Taylor ES for example), the LR Baggs M1 is also magnetic. I'm not a big fan of piezo's, but I do love the ES and there are other "multi-source" type of systems out there from other brands that are very good and some better than the ES.

I guess I'd have to say that hollowbodies and acoustics dont sound very much alike since hollowbody electrics were designed to depend on the pickups, while acoustic guitars are designed to be played unplugged (and the addition of electronics is an afterthought to the acoustic's natural sound) and have body resonance, volume, tone, depth, and a complete feel of their own.

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce