So a couple weeks ago my Epi LP standard fell to the floor and the headstock snapped off. Anyway, i have a good bit of money in the bank and I'm gettin 250 euro for insurance on the guitar so I'm looking into getting a new one.

Basically at the moment I'm looking at either of these.

1. Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded 50s neck:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74602

or

2. Fender Stratocaster Standard American:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75218

I'm in a band and the other guitarist and I have agreed that we need to have a les paul available in the band for our sound. I'm getting my epiphone repaired either way and if i got the strat it would provide versatilty in terms of tone. That gibson looks pretty sweet though!

Any advice is appreciated.
Last edited by Black__Dog at Oct 21, 2009,
If you get to try them out at your local musicstore or at a friends or something first would be best, to see if the tone fits your style and liking, and also that you like how it feels when you play it.
Quote by nigeltheginger
Now that, to anyone else who is reading, is METAL

When moshing during my own gig instead of playing guitar
I say get a HSS strat but mexican. American is not worth it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I say get a HSS strat but mexican. American is not worth it.

And I'll argue the opposite; American makes all the difference. None of us can tell you which guitar to get; it's up to your tone palate. I have an MIA Strat, and I love it. Very versatile for me. Note, I don't play metal or anything of the like.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
They are very different guitars.
Go play them both and decide which one sounds and feels best to you.
Don't decide based on what anyone here says.
They are both great guitars.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by adhuv
- Sorry, to TS, they are very different guitars. So it's not easy to tell you which one to get. Play them and see which you prefer. Also why must you have a LP in your band. That sounds silly. Surely diversification is no sin...?

Just that distinctive dirty tone the les paul offers adds so much to our sound. It's not a "must" but just to have one available is prefferable.
Ye i know they're very different and if get the epi fixed that would attract me to the fender just for the versatilty. There's something about Gibson LPs tho. Also the faded is a reasonable enough price by Gibson's standards.
The fadeds, to me, are toys. Chambered, light, lower sustain and mediocre finish.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
The thing is, when you're playing live in your band situation, no ones really gonna tell the difference between a HSS Strat and a Les Paul that easily, soundwise anyway.

If you like the Fender, seriously think about this. You aren't gonna be in that band forever, so getting an LP just for the sound of the band would seem kinda pointless. If you prefer the feel of the Fender to the Gibson, get the Fender, and vice versa.

Or you could get another Epi Les Paul Standard and a Fender MIM Strat, and you could be set that way, but a HSS MIA would be more worth it in the long run.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
try both of them out since they are tow different guitars.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
Quote by Black__Dog
Just that distinctive dirty tone the les paul offers adds so much to our sound. It's not a "must" but just to have one available is prefferable.
Ye i know they're very different and if get the epi fixed that would attract me to the fender just for the versatilty. There's something about Gibson LPs tho. Also the faded is a reasonable enough price by Gibson's standards.

you could recreate that tone with something else. it is silly to say "we need an LP in this band". Just play some guitars and see what you like. Don't **** about with this band bollocks.

You'll always be paying for a brand with the Gibson. If people like them then fine, i was just chucking in my two pennies on my problem with them.
Fenders are lighter and play better while Gibson s are heavier and play slower. Gibson does offer some good sounds but are ridiculously overpriced