Hey guys, long time no thread heh.

I am currently acquiring a new bass setup and have been looking into signal processing / rack effects.

To get to the point, is it worth running a DBX 266XL compressor and DBX 215 equaliser in my setup? I'm running a Warwick Profet 3.3 head and I'm aiming for a nice metal tone. I typically play in lower tunings (Machine Head, etc).

Will this gear be useful to me?
Try it out and see for yourself if you think it would be worth it?
I dont have any rackmount gear myself but I do alot of recording with rackmount equipment and always run my bass through a compressor.
The 15 is a two channel EQ right? If so, do you need two channels? Are you using two basses? Also, why not save up and get the 31 band instead? They also make that in two channel versions.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
The 15 is a two channel EQ right? If so, do you need two channels? Are you using two basses? Also, why not save up and get the 31 band instead? They also make that in two channel versions.

I can't actually find a decent single channel EQ, and 31 band seemed a bit over-kill.

That said, I have no money issues with buying a 31 band EQ, I just didn't think it was necessary, is it worth getting the 31 band EQ ?

I'm a big fan of "do it once, do it right" so its ok to be straight.
the more bands, the more control. if you combine it with a simple(r) head, you have the ideal, as far as I'm concerned. fast dialing main unit, slight adjustments on the main unit.

I want a 31 band myself. run that through a Mesa Carbine M6 and a few 10's with a big loose 18... yum.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I shall get the 31 band EQ then hopefully I can try to find a single channel version though :P .
why not a 2? one for the cleaner songs, one for the distorted headbangers! Carvin has a really nice one for cheap.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

there are switches, my good sir. I didn't try to figure them out, I just screwed with the top one.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Heh nevermind, I have found a switching pedal :P

Gonna stretch the budget a littllle with the pedal + cables + 266XL + 231, all for a good cause though :P.

If I wish to add a 15" cab to my setup later down the track, should I get a PA power-amp or just another head with enough wattage to power the cab and jack into it's power-amp in?
what? how many cabs are you running? you shouldn't need more than 2.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

if you have a direct out on the warwick, then you can use the preamp on that, and put it straight into a power amp, to power extra cabs. I dont know much about those kinds of setups though, to be honest
Quote by the humanity
what? how many cabs are you running? you shouldn't need more than 2.

I'm running a half-stack, only have a 4x10 4-ohm cab.
^i dont know much about the impedance of power amps, but usually if you are running two cabs, they are both 8ohm, not 40hm, as not many amps go to an impedance of 2ohms.
Yeah I know that's why I'm wondering about the feasibility of getting a power-amp to run the second cab, because the Profet 3.3 doesn't do 2ohm, only 4 and 8. Thus having another amp power it would solve that problem, but I'm not sure if it would destroy the tone?
there's only one output?

that is truly dumb. use the line out to a power amp I suppose...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
there's only one output?

that is truly dumb. use the line out to a power amp I suppose...

What do you mean?

My current head has Speaker-out (powered), DI Out, Effect send/return, tuner out, headphone out. However it is only 300w, which is only enough to power the 4x10 4-ohm cab I originally bought for it.

What I'm saying is, is it possible to DI-out to another power-amp, which has another cab hooked up to it, without destroying the tone?
Quote by Mr_Pleb_Mgoo
Yeah I know that's why I'm wondering about the feasibility of getting a power-amp to run the second cab, because the Profet 3.3 doesn't do 2ohm, only 4 and 8. Thus having another amp power it would solve that problem, but I'm not sure if it would destroy the tone?

Well, if you are going down the route of a power amp, it would be easier to run both cabs off the power amp, rather than one off each. Also, from what i know of these kinds of setups, the tone comes from the Pre-amp, and poweramps are built to be as transparent as possible, and to do nothing but amplify the signal, so most of the tone is still coming straight from the pre amp of the warwick preamp, so it should have little to no effect really

That's my understanding of it at least
^exactly thus.

power just does power.

an extra wheel you shouldn't need, one you need nevertheless.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yess unfortunately it just the result of buying the gear I have in the wrong order, thanks for all your help though guys .
The behringer europower and Crown power amps go to 2-ohm and don't seem particularly bad. I know the reputation Behringer has but as far as PA systems go, they're not too bad.

Picked the gear up this morning

^jealousy, I only use the one on mac nowadays...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Yamaha and BBE make single channel 31 band eq's, what your looking for right. A compressor is always good but only and defiantly only if used right, compressors can really ruin your sound if you dont know what your doing. Everything useful but only if you need it, dont buy stuff for the sake of it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Yamaha and BBE make single channel 31 band eq's, what your looking for right. A compressor is always good but only and defiantly only if used right, compressors can really ruin your sound if you dont know what your doing. Everything useful but only if you need it, dont buy stuff for the sake of it.

Welcome to the second page of this thread.

Playing in lower tunings, the compressor will be handy for sustain purposes
And getting rid of dynamics.....

Yes i didnt read the whole thread.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^and volume evenness between notes. and adding punch. every bassist should at least try a compressor.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ from what im thinking you implying

I think compressors are great yes, i want a dbx160a when i have the money, but unless used right they suck, And with low notes boosted to high, they will get rid of everything, especially as you might turn it up a bit more to even out the higher notes but as you get to the lower notes having it compressing that much will destroy distinction.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
^ agreed. I like my compressor, it's almost idiot proof. 3 knobs.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i recomend NADY power amps over behringer.

another rackmount effect you might wanna look into is the sansamp RBI. and the BBE sonic maximizer.

do you already have a rack to put all your stuff in? cuz they are EXPENSIVE
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Emergancy Exit
i recomend NADY power amps over behringer.

another rackmount effect you might wanna look into is the sansamp RBI. and the BBE sonic maximizer.

do you already have a rack to put all your stuff in? cuz they are EXPENSIVE

Racks cost crap all, $200 for a 30RU stand. It's road cases that are expensive, and yes the roadcase is coming soon and I don't plan on using my gear without it.

As for compression, you're talking to someone that self taught themselves quite a bit of mastering stuff. The reason I asked here is due to my unfamiliarity with compression + live sound. I don't mean to sound like a know it all but I do know what compression does, how to ruin things with it and how to make things better with it.

Poweramps are further down the track (at least a few months) so I'm not worrying about them at the moment.

I'll pass on the BBE, I don't need a glorified maximizer with some EQ settings at the end of my effects chain. The RBI is something I'll look into if I ever decide I don't like the tone from my Warwick head .
Last edited by Mr_Pleb_Mgoo at Oct 25, 2009,