I know there have been a lot of threads about playing speed, here and around the net, and they all say basically the same thing. Practice slow and repeat over and over until you can play it perfect, then increase the bpm and repeat.

This is fine and definitely works, however I've found that irrespective of the scale pattern or exercise, I always top out around 85-90bpm with 16th notes.

It feels like some weird max speed limit that exists for everything. So I was hoping you guys could suggest some areas of my technique to look at that could be keeping me from improving. I use strict alternate picking in my exercises. Pick grip is fairly choked up, but loose.
Music is not about how fast you can shred. If you listen to oldies likes BB king, it was all about the natural tremolo and the feel, passing emotion through your instrument. Maybe I am getting too old
is your thumb around the neck or on the back of it?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Symtex
Music is not about how fast you can shred. If you listen to oldies likes BB king, it was all about the natural tremolo and the feel, passing emotion through your instrument. Maybe I am getting too old

would that really be gettin'old? never expected myself to get old at 17 years
Quote by Symtex

I feel the same way, but I'm only 13.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Symtex
Music is not about how fast you can shred. If you listen to oldies likes BB king, it was all about the natural tremolo and the feel, passing emotion through your instrument. @@Maybe I am getting too old@@

Deffinatley not dude! That's the way music is supposed to be played, it's about feeling an emotion not speed and shred. Half of these kids are one-track minded br00tal metullz!!!
But IMHO classic rock, blues, and really emotional music is harder, any monkey can play 3 notes with legato and gain, hall half the kids on here think that you can't play a pinch harmonics on an acoustic! Just my opinion, but I feel strong about it.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
My thumb moves depending on what I'm doing. For most exercises, its behind the neck, but for bending I anchor my thumb over the neck for leverage.

I'm not into metal, and I'm not really interested in shred. However, I do find it frustrating when a lot of the songs I like I can't play because they happen to have 16th notes at 120bpm.

I'm not trying to be Paul Gilbert, but I'd like to be able to play through the Nightrain solo at full tempo.
Quote by Symtex

true, but that does him no good if he likes to play tech death like Nile or just likes to shred like Paul Gilbert because that's the kind of music he likes

just keep practicing, don't get sloppy and speed will come in time
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by westdyolf
Deffinatley not dude! That's the way music is supposed to be played, it's about feeling an emotion not speed and shred. Half of these kids are one-track minded br00tal metullz!!!
But IMHO classic rock, blues, and really emotional music is harder, any monkey can play 3 notes with legato and gain, hall half the kids on here think that you can't play a pinch harmonics on an acoustic! Just my opinion, but I feel strong about it.

i like emotion and feel in my music, but i get bored listening to music when it's not atleast somewhat difficult to play. There can be melodic shred, you know? Take Guthrie Govan for example, he shreds and his stuff is extremely melodic.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by Symtex

Or not old enough.
I might be jealous unconsciously because I can't shred. It was never my thing to begin with so my motivation is not there.
Quote by Vlasco
Or not old enough.

+INFINITY

It really pisses me off when people talk about, "only emotionial playing is true playing" and whatnot,. play what you love and love what you play. If the man/woman wants to play with speed then let him/her.

Also the idea that metal is played with no emotion at all is just stupid, in my opinion Dave Mustaine plays with a hell-ova-lot of emotion, just that he pours his emotion into powerchords and speed instead of improv and natural tremlo does not mean he is any less of a player or any less an emotional player.

and I don't care if I live or die,
because I ain't ever going to no other side,
there ain't no heaven and there ain't no hell,
but I am a sinner so it's all just as well
Last edited by OOgly bOObly at Oct 21, 2009,
I remember Shawn Lane saying he used to always play fast, even though it was sloppy. He then just started cleaning up his playing. Petrucci I think also mentioned to play at one speed with your metronome, then ditch the metronome and play the same thing you're exercising as fast as you can, even if its sloppy. Your fingers become used to playing at that speed eventually which will let you slowly be able to reach that speed with a metronome and with accuracy.
I'm not saying don't play metal, I just get tired of all the sub generes of it, like thrash black death hell metal from Satan
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Sorry but I am thinking of Pink Floyd right now

But idk if it would help, but you could get one of those one hand trainers, like the Planet Waves one.