So, can you play through the head of the amp only, or do you need a cabinet for it to work?
The head PROCESSES the sound, the cabinet PRODUCES it. Think of it like a computer setup: The computer does all the calculations and creates and sorts through all the data, but you cant see any of it without a screen. You need a speaker to hear anything.
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Quote by The_Future_Soon
The head PROCESSES the sound, the cabinet PRODUCES it. Think of it like a computer setup: The computer does all the calculations and creates and sorts through all the data, but you cant see any of it without a screen. You need a speaker to hear anything.

Good analogy - though it's worth noting that your PC won't get fried if you turn it on without a monitor.
Depends if it is Tube or Solid State. You can hook headphones up to a solid state head and play through it just fine. Tube amps need a speaker load or they'll blow.

This does not work
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by chimpinatux

This does not work

How the hell do you do that whe you already have a cab? That had to be intentional.

/captainobvious.jpg
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by Flying Couch
Good analogy - though it's worth noting that your PC won't get fried if you turn it on without a monitor.

Yes, very worth noting. Love the avatar, btw.

To the guys complaining about that old picture of the mic'd head: notice that it's all packed up. And that it CAN fold down. It was most likely lifted up like that during storage to make room for some shorter package that was squished up next to it. No biggie.

EDIT: In fact, notice that the container to the left of it is just the right size to fit in front of it as long as the mic is raised up like that. Now, if it was on STAGE like that... that would be another story...
Quote by CarpUK
Beat the recession by soldering your strings back together! What's more, the extra metal vibrating back and forth will add to your tone... and what could be more metal than more metal!?!

Quote by biga29
Plz uz reel wurdz bcoz wen u tipe lik this its hard 2 red.
Last edited by The_Future_Soon at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by Zacher
Depends if it is Tube or Solid State. You can hook headphones up to a solid state head and play through it just fine. Tube amps need a speaker load or they'll blow.

I thought the same principal applied to both...no speaker load=BAD for transformers and such. Besides...very few amp heads have headphone jacks (there are exceptions).
Quote by Zacher

Nah. In the long run you'll ruin your output transformator IIRC.
I stand corrected. You would think that if a solid state head has a headphone jack, they would configure it in a way that would not harm the power section. I guess that comes down to individual amp design? Like maybe some have a small headphone amp that powers just the headphones? I'm no expert when it comes to things like that. I just said that because I have a Crate Powerblock that I sometimes use with no speaker attached for headphone practicing. It has been working well for a long time but maybe I am not realizing that it does long term damage.
That old Mic'd head pic is a shoop, anyway.
The guy had the cab mic'd, too, you can see where the mic cable just stops in front of the cab, and the "head mic" was just put there as a ready-to-roll back-up.

The guy who did it is a forumite, but he may have been over at HC, I remember that pic when it first starting getting around!
Quote by Rutch
That old Mic'd head pic is a shoop, anyway.
The guy had the cab mic'd, too, you can see where the mic cable just stops in front of the cab, and the "head mic" was just put there as a ready-to-roll back-up.

The guy who did it is a forumite, but he may have been over at HC, I remember that pic when it first starting getting around!

Haha, you are definitely right!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
well if an amp has a headphone jack, it CAN be run without a speaker load... there is circuitry that disconnects the main speaker as soon as you plug headphones in... I used to have a spider III, and it had a headphone jack that i would use occasionally.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes