Ok, I'm sorry to make a thread about this, and I'll probably delete when I get an answer, I just didn't know where to post this:

Can you run a pedal before a Vox Amplug? I know the line level of the pedal isn't much more than the guitar alone, but it is more... So would this damage the AmPlug?

Edit: I know this will work, but my question is long-term could it be damaging.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Sounds like it would work ok.

These things are supposed to work with active pickups, which have a much higher output than passive pups and even a HEAVY boost, so I think you're safe.

Your eardrums, on the other hand...

Just keep the headphones to a reasonable level!
Quote by tubetime86
Ok, I'm sorry to make a thread about this, and I'll probably delete when I get an answer, I just didn't know where to post this:

Can you run a pedal before a Vox Amplug? I know the line level of the pedal isn't much more than the guitar alone, but it is more... So would this damage the AmPlug?

Edit: I know this will work, but my question is long-term could it be damaging.

Not sure sure. Is it made to accept a line-level input? If not, you could toast the thing. That's what happened to my old interface when I attempted to use a line-level device on the instrument in
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Not sure sure. Is it made to accept a line-level input? If not, you could toast the thing. That's what happened to my old interface when I attempted to use a line-level device on the instrument in

Hrmmm, I'll read the specs to see. This is what I was worried about.

Rutch: I thought of that... Active pick-ups are probably damn near the output of a pedal, right? So that may be the answer to my question above.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 21, 2009,
you badass, wanting to b00st an amplug

i have no idea if it's safe or not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you badass, wanting to b00st an amplug

i have no idea if it's safe or not.

No, I want to use the Amplug to test out my new Memory Boy.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I doubt the model is built to handle being boosted the way a real tube preamp section would...but I can't imagine it would physically damage the unit. Unless you used CorduroyEW's infamous 25K, neodymium 'Beefbucker' pickup, anyway.
Quote by tubetime86
No, I want to use the Amplug to test out my new Memory Boy.

you badass
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kyle62
I doubt the model is built to handle being boosted the way a real tube preamp section would...but I can't imagine it would physically damage the unit. Unless you used CorduroyEW's infamous 25K, neodymium 'Beefbucker' pickup, anyway.

I guess I should have clarified in the OP:

I don't want to boost it, I want to use delay and modulations with it... ie. Memory Boy

Quote by Dave_Mc
you badass

Actually quite the opposite. I figure I'm going to be spending at least an hour or so playing with settings on the MB, and don't' want my roommates to have to listen to 2 hours of weird noises...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Oct 21, 2009,
yeah, i'm only joking. As i said, I don't know whether it's safe or not EDIT: captain obvious to the rescue, perhaps, but have you considered emailing vox?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i'm only joking. As i said, I don't know whether it's safe or not EDIT: captain obvious to the rescue, perhaps, but have you considered emailing vox?

Captain Obvious and I don't talk much... No I haven't. I will now... Thanks, I will post back their response, for posterity's sake.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
cool, thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It works fine with my wah pedal, should be fine.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Why are your pedals line level? I adjust my pedals so the volume in bypass is near the volume with the pedal on. That makes the pedal instrument level. Regardless it shouldn't harm the amPlug.
Quote by fly135
Why are your pedals line level? I adjust my pedals so the volume in bypass is near the volume with the pedal on. That makes the pedal instrument level. Regardless it shouldn't harm the amPlug.

Wow, excellent post. I do the same thing, I just didn't know that actually brings the current down to instrument levels. Thanks.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It will be just fine. I run a boost in front of my AC30 amplug all the time and have even used a preamp line out from an amp to boost it. If it can handle EMGs, it can handle pedals.
see colin's a badass, b00sting an amplug.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
see colin's a badass, b00sting an amplug.

**** yeah! I'm gonna run 3 tubescreamers in front of it and RAWK!!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
br00talz
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Vox finally got back to me:

Quote by Vox
Guitar effects pedals generally process instrument and line level signals. Unless the pedals you are considering feature headphone outputs, you will need to plug the guitar into your effects pedals first, then plug the AmPlug itself directly to the output of the last pedal in the chain so that you can hear the resulting sound through headphones.

Doesn't exactly answer my question, but by suggesting I do it, he must mean it is OK...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
yeah... strange. unless he thought you were asking about whether to plug the amplug into the guitar and then plug the pedals after the amplug...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah... strange. unless he thought you were asking about whether to plug the amplug into the guitar and then plug the pedals after the amplug...

Ya I think that is what he was thinking... Oh well though, I've been doing this all week, so it must be OK. I just mind the old eardrums, especially with run-away-delays...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Yeah, if you want to run reverb, delay, chorus pedals then you would put them after the amPlug. You would need a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter and you'd be fine. Since the output of the amPlug is designed for headphones, the volume control on the amPlug should be kept fairly low. Highly unlikely you'd get any damage from having it too high. Just some clipping and harsh tones. Experiment and have fun. I have a couple amPlugs but never gave much thought about plugging them into my pedals.
Quote by fly135
Yeah, if you want to run reverb, delay, chorus pedals then you would put them after the amPlug. You would need a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono adapter and you'd be fine. Since the output of the amPlug is designed for headphones, the volume control on the amPlug should be kept fairly low. Highly unlikely you'd get any damage from having it too high. Just some clipping and harsh tones. Experiment and have fun. I have a couple amPlugs but never gave much thought about plugging them into my pedals.

Why would you run time based effects after the amplug? I ran my whole pedalboard before the amplug, then put the amplug on the last pedal of the chain, like the Vox guy says... That worked fine.

It works out great, I use the amplug to play with my board at night, and that way I get my levels all set up and settings where I want them for the daytime... I have to make the most of the time when I have the house to myself, which is tonight!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Most people prefer to run time based and modulation FX after distortion. If you're using an AC30 amPlug and keeping the gain low just to use it as a clean headphone amp then what I said doesn't apply.

I guess I'm confused by the last few posts. I thought the Vox guy did answer your question by saying it's ok to run pedals in front.
Quote by fly135
Most people prefer to run time based and modulation FX after distortion. If you're using an AC30 amPlug and keeping the gain low just to use it as a clean headphone amp then what I said doesn't apply.

I guess I'm confused by the last few posts. I thought the Vox guy did answer your question by saying it's ok to run pedals in front.

Oh, ok ya I see now. I don't really turn up the gain much on that thing, though it actually sounds pretty good, I prefer clean or fuzz.

After re-reading my question to him, he thought I was wondering if the output of the Amplug would damage my pedals, not the other way around... I was pretty clear, but I can see how he thought that. Anyway like I said, him explaining how I would run the Amplug AFTER the pedals tells me that it must be OK. If not, I got documentation that he told me to...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Ya I think that is what he was thinking... Oh well though, I've been doing this all week, so it must be OK. I just mind the old eardrums, especially with run-away-delays...

yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?