Cheaper Ibanez guitars? like $300-400 range? Im kinda liking the look of some of these. I would probably replace the pickups, depending on how they sound.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG350EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518909

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481915

Im looking for a guitar that can do stuff like Killswitch Engage, and stuff like August Burns Red. I plan on upgrading to a Peavey 5150 amp or a Bugera 6262 soon. How well do these guitars hold up? Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
Last edited by minchew at Oct 21, 2009,
These and most Ibanez guitar will hold up great. Can't go wrong with an Ibby for the style you are wanting to play.

Also, if you get one with a floating trem there will be no need to replace the tunning machines. The stock PU's are ok, but an upgrade would make it sound a way better
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by minchew
Cheaper Ibanez guitars? like $300-400 range? Im kinda liking the look of some of these. And yes, I would plan to replace the tuning machines and possibly pickups.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG350EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518909

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481915

Im looking for a guitar that can do stuff like Killswitch Engage, and stuff like August Burns Red. I plan on upgrading to a Peavey 5150 amp or a Bugera 6262 soon. How well do these guitars hold up? Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

I find that Ibanez guitars tend to be pretty good value at almost any price point but in terms of the lower and they really do stand out... at least to me anyways.

I'd say go for the RG321, without a trem, as the low-end trems tend to be a bit naff.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ignore the edge 3 trem haters.

do you want a trem or not particularly bothered.
easy guitars to upgrade/mod....gotoh tuners and dimarzio pups are the normal mods
try a S model. my s320 already fell once, takes extreme whammy abuse and keeps in tune very well
Not hatin on the trem, but the rumour is they blow ass
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
I would like something with a trem, as none of my other guitars have one. And about the S series, how are the trems? Can it do all the wild divebombs and harmonic squeels? I don't have any experience with Ibanez electrics so help would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses so far guys.
Quote by Sean-Man
Not hatin on the trem, but the rumour is they blow ass

Rumors.....don't believe everything the internet tells you

The Edge III on my RG has been flawless since I've had it, which has only been 2-3 years now, but like I said I have never had an issue with it.

You just have to know how to set it up properly and it will treat you right.

It's not the best trem out there, but it is pretty decent considering the price you are paying for the guitar. Same guitar with a OFR would prob be 2-3 hundred more dollars.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
IF you are getting one with a trem theres not much point in new tuners, but good pickups would definately do it justice. Ibanez are great value at pretty much any price level
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by minchew
I would like something with a trem, as none of my other guitars have one. And about the S series, how are the trems? Can it do all the wild divebombs and harmonic squeels? I don't have any experience with Ibanez electrics so help would be appreciated. Thanks for the responses so far guys.

Yeah, the ZR can do all the stuff that a normal trem can, I have a lot of trouble getting mine to flutter but I have been told that's more to do with teh setup than anything else.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The RG321 is great, but if I went for an RG it'd definately be one with a trem.
Now, the 350 is great, but the trem is awful, blocking it, or replacing it would render it a great guitar.
That RG4EXFM1 is a similar story to the 350.

Though overall, I'd suggest, the similarly priced S320. Better trem, but you may not like the thin-ness (or mahogany tone).

Out of the three, if you're not planning on blocking/changing the trem, the RG321 definately.
thanks for all the responses guys. Now, if I do end up changing pickups, could someone suggest a good combination? Im looking for something besides the generic EMG 81/85 set. I know Dimarzio are a common replacement but I dont have experience with these so...suggestions?
the ibanez rg4exfm1 is a great guitar, i have it... the trem never goes out of tune if you have the common sense to tune it right.

as for pickups, the emgs really are a nice set, you shouldn't avoid them because they are commonly used. id say getting two active hums, 81/85 (emg) and an active single pickup for your middle pickup would suit you well. (if you choose this guitar)
Well, I would get EMGs, but I have them in two other guitars. Im looking for a little variety I guess. Sorry I didn't say that to begin with.
Quote by minchew

The ZR trem is SUPER stable. I have a Prestige S 1625, which is a bit different than the S's in your price range, but the trem is the same. I dive on it frequently, and it stays in tune. The thumbwheel is also handy if experimenting with different string gauges, or to change the feel/spring tension without removing the backplate.

As far as Ibanez in general in that price range, they are well built instruments. The fit and finish is great for the price - you can tell that they filed the frets properly, and I don't generally notice any slop in the craftsmanship across the entire Ibanez line, even the lower priced stuff.

I would ditch the pickups ASAP, whether they are the V pickups, the IBZ's, or whatever it ends up coming with. I find Ibanez pickups to lack in the high end usually. Great for rhythm stuff, but difficult to get pinch harmonics to pop out, and difficult for the FOH guy to get you into the mix with the Ibanez pickups. Otherwise, great guitars for the money.
Quote by minchew
thanks for all the responses guys. Now, if I do end up changing pickups, could someone suggest a good combination? Im looking for something besides the generic EMG 81/85 set. I know Dimarzio are a common replacement but I dont have experience with these so...suggestions?

I have DiMarzio Evo PU's in my RG370DX and they are great. I have had guitars with 81/85 combo and they are good but the DiMarzios blow them out of the water. Seriously.

As for the middle PU you don't have to replace it. I just took mine out and filled the space with a PU cover so it looks like a PU is there, but all that is really hooked up are the 2 EVO humbuckers. What I did to still be able to have a single coil sound was I had a coil tap installed so I can split my humbuckers, also installed a 3 way switch since I didn't need the 5 way anymore.

I can get some really heavy sounds and the mids and highs are just the best I have ever heard from a PU, and they have great harmonic qualities as well as great dynamics. You will be surprised at how different a high output passive is from a high output active.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Sure they can, just turn the bass up on your amp...

I play metal (CoB, Cannible Corpse, Black Dalhia Murder, etc..) and those PU can handle it so IMO they are a very versatile PU. When they are split they sound really close to a strat.

The thing with the EVO's is they made the EVO and EVO2...the EVO2 is a little less aggressive compared to the EVO.....

Go to guitar store and look for a Vai model with the EVO Pups and plug it in...you will see that you can get a good metal sound with them
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Last edited by srob7001 at Oct 22, 2009,
Thanks. Those are more along the lines of music I'm probably gonna use it for. I just haven't heard many metal players using EVOs so I wasnt sure. I'll look into them when I go home. There's a store there that deals with a lot of Ibanez guitars. Problem is, I'm 100 miles away at college and the store here is pretty much a Fender dealership...maybe you can see my problem.
I bought a 321 and only replaced it because I got a good deal on a 2EX1, which is basswood, which I prefer. I'd suggest either the 321 or the 2EX1, whichever sounds/feels/looks better to you.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I feel like there are at least 3 threads a day asking for a ibanez in the $300 to $500 range.
For the money, they're not bad.

Better than the Epiphones and Squiers out there.

For shredder options, you can't go wrong.
Bogner Ecstasy 101b
Sampson Era Bad Cat Black Cat 30R
1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier
Gibson Les Paul Custom (ebony)
Gibson SG Faded (brown)
Rickenbacker 650D
Eventide Timefactor
Diamond Memory Lane 2
Keeley Compressor (2 knob)
Korg Pitchblack