Tomorrow I'm going into GAK in Brighton and looking for a Some kind of overdrive to boost my Solos and lead playing live.

I gig in a pop punk band if that helps, I want something to bring out any octave 'chords', any lead, and solos. I just wana cut through rhythm guitar more when I'm not strumming too. I did use a boss ds-1, but its abit poo for what i want it for.

My Rig is

Prs Custom 22

DD6, CH1, DS1

JCM2000 (100watt): Presence: 5 Teb: 4 Mid: 6 Bass: 7 Gain: 3-4

I do play Metal, Classic Rock, Blues and a lil bit of country too.

I need a Pedal with balls. But under £80.

Also, whats the difference between an Overdrive and tube screamer soundwise?

Thanks.
---------------------------
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
Korg Pitch Black, MXR Carbon Copy.
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Quote by acdcrocks0323
A tubescreamer is a type of overdrive, with a prominent mid boost.

I'll might get a TS7 then. Specially if its gonna boost mids.
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
Quote by stueey
I'll might get a TS7 then. Specially if its gonna boost mids.

I'd get a TS9, they are more easily modded to TS808, which you may want to do down the road.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
hey man, i have your exact amp and had your exact issue... i was recommended an EQ pedal, and thru my travels and experience i found that the MXR 10 band EQ pretty much ended this issue for me. i set exactly how much louder and gainyer (sp?) and also can tweak the eq of the sound in general. so for solo's i just kick this thing on (i put it in the effects loop)
an eq pedal or a clean boost pedal(with either flat response or with a little extra treble) are awesome when going after the amps original tone with just a little more ability to cut in the mix. that is what they are made for. if you want a little more gain than that then go after a transparent od, i find the 2 channel fulltone od is quite transparent. if you want a little more cut in the mix then a good tubescreamer copy or something like my addrock will do quite well. if you are really after a particular effect then i recommend trying all these options before commiting
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by rkmad
hey man, i have your exact amp and had your exact issue... i was recommended an EQ pedal, and thru my travels and experience i found that the MXR 10 band EQ pretty much ended this issue for me. i set exactly how much louder and gainyer (sp?) and also can tweak the eq of the sound in general. so for solo's i just kick this thing on (i put it in the effects loop)

Then guy bought the amp offer a year ago did that.

But he used at as a second boost. Tube screamer 1st, then Boss eq 2nd.

I starting to think TS7, I want TS9 but I don't think I can afford to go that extra.

If I use the the TS as a boost for now, I can used it to drive my amp from a clean or slightly crunchier channel to a different sounding overdrive, then an EQ for solo. Obvisouly If I dont like it after a month or till I get paid.
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
you could try the tonerider one, far as i'm aware it's like a true bypass ts9, but is £40 cheaper- I've got their chorus, it's very nice, I assume their overdrive is similarly nice. I've been hearing good things about that monkeyfx valvesporker too, on another forum i go to, but I haven't tried it. It's exactly £80, which is pretty decent value for something as complex as it appears to be which is made in the UK.

I don't think you'll find either of those in gak, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why not look into an MXR Micro-Amp or a EHX LPB-1 Power Booster. These will bring up your gain and saturation to cut through the mix and give you more sustain without changing your overall tone.

i use an LPB-1 and it works great, I've been wanting to try out the Micro-Amp but I'm still wondering if it's worth twice the amount for the EHX. I'll tried using an eq to boost my signal but that always adds more noise & changes my tone.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
Why not look into an MXR Micro-Amp or a EHX LPB-1 Power Booster. These will bring up your gain and saturation to cut through the mix and give you more sustain without changing your overall tone.

i use an LPB-1 and it works great, I've been wanting to try out the Micro-Amp but I'm still wondering if it's worth twice the amount for the EHX. I'll tried using an eq to boost my signal but that always adds more noise & changes my tone.

I've watch videos of both of them, I'm really liking em. Its like pushing a 'more' button!
Main gear
Prs Custom 22
Gibson LP Junior
Marshall DSL 50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12
Trex OD, MXR Super Comp
PedalTrain 2 (soft case)
You should buy online mate, you'll be able to pick up a second hand Tubescreamer for 50 quid or so without having to buy a TS7. I'd also suggest the EQ idea. They are really excellent for what you're after. You can drive the amp a bit harder, boost the volume and kick up the mids at the same time.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay