Yeahh so I'm curious to know if there are any guitars out there with a dive-bombing tremolo. You know, like a Strat's tremolo bridge.

I know Ibanez makes one, but it's like $2,200 and I can't afford that right now.

I'm aware Strats have that kind of bridge, but I'd like a guitar with two humbuckers or an HSH combination, and Strats don't have either.

Plus I like to play more ... whatever the hell you wanna call it, post-hardcore, alternative metal, etc. I play a lot of Silverstein and Senses Fail...

I don't want a Floyd so much because I switch tunings a lot as well.
Just buy a HSH Strat???????
Budget?????

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
So you want to dive bomb on a non FR?

But I heard the Super Vee is a good alternative to a full blown FR.
Wilkinson trem and locking tuners
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Godin Freeway Classic or SA. Not cheap bit very nice.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

You can divebomb on a strat bridge?????
Xbox Live GT: A7X Dan 09

Only Playing Gears Of War 2 ATM
You can't divebomb on a strat trem. It just doesn't have the range. If you want to do that, you need a double locking trem. The only non-recessed Floyds I know of are the EBMM Axis and Charvels. But it won't be very different than a recessed Floyd if you don't want to limit your options so much.
Sterling Music Man with a one-way floyd.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Second hand Fender Big Apple Strat.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_GL256%20George%20Lynch%20LTD%20Electric%20Guitar%20Distressed%203%20Tone%20Sunburst_-1_10052_10002_-49959173?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Solid%20Body%20Electric-_-GL256%20George%20Lynch%20LTD%20Electric%20Guitar%20Distressed%203%20Tone%20Sunburst-_-EGL256XXX

Sure the relicing is a bit gimmicky, but if it gets on your nerves you can always get it refinished. Or paint over it with car paint a la Joe Strummer.

Just pop a single-sized 'bucker into the neck and you're set.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by JELIFISH19
You can't divebomb on a strat trem. It just doesn't have the range. If you want to do that, you need a double locking trem. The only non-recessed Floyds I know of are the EBMM Axis and Charvels. But it won't be very different than a recessed Floyd if you don't want to limit your options so much.

Ummmmmm......Van-Halen 1978? Lynn Ellsworth body painted black and white with a CBS style neck and a 59' STRATOCASTER TREMELO (caps for emphasis).

It is possible to do so, it's just a pain for those who don't tweak gear regularly. To make a strat trem work for those sorts of things, you need a good, cleanly cut nut, very stable (or locking) tuners, and saddles with no saddles and/or don't hang. I've used strat trems for years and owned a ton of them, so I know.

To be honest, almost all trems except a bigby can dive bomb, much of the problem is in how you set i up. Heck, I play loads of whammy-happy stuff that most say requires a Floyd Rose, and I do it on a Mustang trem.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by JELIFISH19

I disagree, you can most deffinatly dive bomb on a strat trem, I've done it thousands of times. And it stays in perfect tune. If I'm able to do Dimebag squeelys on a standard strat trem, then it can freaken divebomb.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I disagree, you can most deffinatly dive bomb on a strat trem, I've done it thousands of times. And it stays in perfect tune. If I'm able to do Dimebag squeelys on a standard strat trem, then it can freaken divebomb.

Press a strat trem all the way down to the pickguard and the note is still there. Push a Floyd a centimeter and you'll be about as far down as a strat trem can go. You simply cannot compare them. I used to think that a strat trem was good enough until I got my Ibanez. You may think you're doing whammy tricks, but you're really not. Just because you're yanking it like a madman doesn't mean that you're actually doing a lot. Staying in tune is a whole different thing. My strat always stays in perfect tune no matter what I do but it doesn't have anywhere near the range of a Floyd.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Oct 21, 2009,
^ not really, a standard strat trem has just as much travel as a floyd going down, since on both guitars, the wammy bar hits the pickguard at the same point. The benifit of a floyd is that you can also have the same amount of travel going up, and it wont go out of tune. When I press my trem all the way down(to the pickguard), I can basically take the string off the tuning peg its so loose. Either you have a strat trem thats not set up right, or you have a crappy strat guitar.
I have an American 2-Point trem on my American Deluxe Strat and an Edge Zero on my RG2550Z. You cannot make the strings go floppy on a Strat trem. The whammy bars can move the same distance, but the pitch doesn't go anywhere near the same distance. The note will be completely gone and the strings will be stuck on the pickups if you move it an inch and a half. The note will still be there if you press the bar to the pickguard on a strat trem. The benefit of Floyds is not to go up. The first ones weren't even recessed. Floyds are popular for a reason. There's a great difference in what each is capable of.

Physically, the string is shorter on FRs. They don't move behind the nut. The trems move about the same distance, but the strings hit a stopping point on the nut. Strat trems distribute the tension from the saddles to the tuning peg while FRs distribute it from the saddles to the nut. That's a couple of inches. Take a rubber band and spread it out with your hands. Your right hand is the bridge and your left hand is the stopping point (tuning peg for strats and nut for FRs). The rubber band represents a string. Now move your bridge (right) hand towards the tuning peg (left) and observe the change in tension. Return your right hand to the place it started. Now pretend your left hand is a locking nut so move it closer to the bridge (right). Now move your right hand the same way you moved it the first time and notice there's a huge decrease in tension from the first time you did it because the string length is different. That's how Floyds work. There is no way that anything without a locking nut will be able to dive as far as a Floyd. The string is just is a couple of inches shorter and everything you do will be much more drastic.
^ That's actually a pretty cool way of looking at it.

And TS, you can get a floyd, but insert a wooden block (a small one that doesn't go all the way into the cavity) on the underside, between the trem block and the wood, but under the springs. In effect making it mono-directional.

Bad explaination, but look at the back of a floyd guitar and you'll see what i mean
Fender Highway 1 Strat
Agile Septor Pro 725

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Axe-Fx Ultra

Trust me, I'm a medical student
Quote by JELIFISH19
I have an American 2-Point trem on my American Deluxe Strat and an Edge Zero on my RG2550Z. You cannot make the strings go floppy on a Strat trem. The whammy bars can move the same distance, but the pitch doesn't go anywhere near the same distance. The note will be completely gone and the strings will be stuck on the pickups if you move it an inch and a half. The note will still be there if you press the bar to the pickguard on a strat trem. The benefit of Floyds is not to go up. The first ones weren't even recessed. Floyds are popular for a reason. There's a great difference in what each is capable of.

Physically, the string is shorter on FRs. They don't move behind the nut. The trems move about the same distance, but the strings hit a stopping point on the nut. Strat trems distribute the tension from the saddles to the tuning peg while FRs distribute it from the saddles to the nut. That's a couple of inches. Take a rubber band and spread it out with your hands. Your right hand is the bridge and your left hand is the stopping point (tuning peg for strats and nut for FRs). The rubber band represents a string. Now move your bridge (right) hand towards the tuning peg (left) and observe the change in tension. Return your right hand to the place it started. Now pretend your left hand is a locking nut so move it closer to the bridge (right). Now move your right hand the same way you moved it the first time and notice there's a huge decrease in tension from the first time you did it because the string length is different. That's how Floyds work. There is no way that anything without a locking nut will be able to dive as far as a Floyd. The string is just is a couple of inches shorter and everything you do will be much more drastic.

Ooooooo... how the locking nuts come into play suddenly make sense.

Nice, I think you deserve a golf clap for the explanation... altho some paragraphing would have given you a golf clap half-stack

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
RG570 + half blocked trem = what you want? Or you could get a tremol-no and just keep it in dive only mode if you wanted something a bit more fancier then a piece of wood in the back of your guitar.