Page 1 of 2
Looking for a Marshall Head/amp that can give me a Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads and early Van Halen tone. If anyone has any suggestions or feedback about any amps I would really appreciate it
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
Wai Marshall?
Budget?
Can you go used?
Gear that you have?
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Why does it have to be a Marshall?

EDIT: ^beaten
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Oct 21, 2009,
And a Marshall... why?
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Wai Marshall?
Budget?
Can you go used?
Gear that you have?

+1

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Look at the jcm 800. You might be able to do better price-wise, but if you want the marshall go for it. Youll get those tones. Plain and simple
I wanted to get an amp with the classic Marshall tone that all my guitar heros had.

As for budget, lets leave it open ended to see what suggestions I get. I absolutely can go used and have used gear.

As for gear I have Jackson RR1T, Ernieball Axis, Jackson RR TN-02, and a bunch of pedals (MXR ZW OD, MXR Distortion +).
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
Which edition of the JCM 800, I know there are alot of versions like the 2203x or the 2204. Is there any specific one that you suggest VRAerosmith2 ?
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
What's your budget?
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Your best bet is a Modded JCM 800. ZW and RR both used them, and many of the classic tones your are looking for reside in that 2000 dollar amplifier.

I have seen some old JCM hot rods in the 1200-1500 range on consignment, as they dont go new. A stock 50w JCM 800 head will do you fine though, a good OD in front and voila, you have ZW esque "Tonality".

Theyre not cheap, and your definitly gonna have to go used.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
My budget is open ended I would be saving up for it anyways.

I would really appreciated any information about any specific amp ( number of channels, rough estimate on price, tonality, etc).
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
no budget? trainwreck
Much Moar brutal Marshall? Rivera KR, Baron, Soldano,Splawn etc.
"real" Marshall? JCM 800, 900, OLD Sig Series,Jubilee
feel free to add me
i agree with the moded 800, but there are a number of amps that are based on moded 800 designs as well. you actually have quite a number of parallel options
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I would prefer to spend under 2k for a good marshall head, but I thought I would leave it open ended to see what answers I would get as a suggestion.
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
I hear good things about the JVM, but I hear mixed reviews about the reliability of that Marshall Amp.

Gumbilicious what other options would you suggest in addition to the Jcm800? I just want to have a good amount of options to check out
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
Quote by O00Coolzero00O
I hear good things about the JVM, but I hear mixed reviews about the reliability of that Marshall Amp.

Gumbilicious what other options would you suggest in addition to the Jcm800? I just want to have a good amount of options to check out

Dont get the JVM. its meh sounding an overpriced outside of europe
feel free to add me
As for the JCM 800 is it an all tube or valve amp? I really don't know the difference, if there is any so if any one could educate me on the topic it would be greatly appreciated =D
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
tube = valve
feel free to add me
Gracias. WTF is a TAB, you really didn't like the JVM series? Any reason in particular why?
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
Quote by O00Coolzero00O
As for the JCM 800 is it an all tube or valve amp? I really don't know the difference, if there is any so if any one could educate me on the topic it would be greatly appreciated =D

Er yes, it's both of those.

Truthfully, I suggest you read up on guitar gear before asking for any more advice, at the moment it's just 'I want a Marshall because everyone uses them' (ie: because Marshall pays them better than other other amp makers).
You'll be much happier with the results if you really think things through first and take the time to really read up on things.

Quote by O00Coolzero00O
Gracias. WTF is a TAB, you really didn't like the JVM series? Any reason in particular why?

The Cleans were decent but the High Overdrive Channel was HORRIBLE.

and that is wat the JVM was mainly built for.... High gain... and i took a look at the price tag
feel free to add me
Quote by kyle62
Er yes, it's both of those.

Truthfully, I suggest you read up on guitar gear before asking for any more advice, at the moment it's just 'I want a Marshall because everyone uses them' (ie: because Marshall pays them better than other other amp makers).
You'll be much happier with the results if you really think things through first and take the time to really read up on things.

I know my guitar gear its just that one aspect that was rather confusing to me. I've owned my fair share of amps, Laney Gh100Ti and at the moment my favorite head, a Peavey 5150. I've read up on some reviews for some marshalls, I just thought I would ask the UG community what they thought and then move from there to investigate other heads other than the JVM.

I didn't know if a valve amp meant it was a hybrid amp that was partially solid state with a pre-amp tube or power tube, other companies have called their amps valve amps (ex. randall with the V2 ninja).

I more so want a marshall because that british crunch and beautiful cleans with a solid distortion. I wanted to get something different in comparison to my 5150. My guitar heros are a bonus.
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
If you want a ZW tone, get a JCM800 and slap an OD in front. You need EVM 12Ls, I haven't heard anyone get close without them. For VH tone, a stock Plexi or good clone turned all the way up. For RR tone, a later model Alumi front JMP with cascaded gain stages and no master volume turned all the way up. If you want iany of them without a Marshall, I've heard Splawn come close.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I just want a marshall with a good amount of diversity and able to hit the tonality of other marshall amps in addition to the plexis and JCM 800
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
with this forum you ain't gonna get any real marshall reviews, there seems to be some awkward hate for everything marshall here.

The jvm is a very good amp. For the tones you want the jcm 800 is what you want.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by O00Coolzero00O
I just want a marshall with a good amount of diversity and able to hit the tonality of other marshall amps in addition to the plexis and JCM 800

talk to Trace Davis at Voodoo Amps... tell him what you want... ask about the Hex Dual Lead.

also, +1 to early 80's stock JCM800's, modded JCM800's, and Splawn... seveal of their models.

EDIT: woohoo! 1,000 posts!

EDIT 2: also pretty sure zakk uses 6550's.
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 25, 2009,
Just buy the RR sig head and cab ....
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I dig my jvm205h, the red channel is thick and heavy and the orange has a very good ac/dc crunch and the green has a surperb clean with a strat for sure! they use a few jj type tubes in the amp that darken the sound and some chinese one also. I switched a couple around to get my tone. This amp can do a lot of tones, 6 diff. tones per 2 channels. You have to try it you self to see what you like best, the 800 is a very popular amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzxpBwsUpBw&feature=related
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Last edited by ksmc at Oct 25, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Wai Marshall?

Quote by eyebanez333
Why does it have to be a Marshall?

Quote by chimpinatux
And a Marshall... why?

If someone came in here asking what Fender they should buy to get Michael Bloomfield like sounds, I bet none of you would ask "why does it have to be a Fender."

Anyway on topic...

The JVM is a good amp, and like most amps out there, it can sound very good if you tweak it and EQ it right and it can also sound very bad if you EQ it wrong.
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 25, 2009,
Wylde uses boosted JCM 800s.
Rhoads used Plexis modded to be more like a JCM 800, with an MXR Distortion + in front.
Early EVH used Plexis, probably boosted.

The two main differences between the 800's and the Plexis is the master volume and a cascaded tube. I would suggest going to Ceriatone or Metroamp and have them build you a Plexi with a master volume and a cascade mod switch (like Rhoads had) and have them build it for you, or get a JCM 800 with an un-cascade switch. Or, you could get a used JCM 800 or Soldano Hot Rod. All great amps.

As far as cabs, get a used Marshall 1960, an Avatar, or a Vader.

If I confused you with the cascaded tubes, this video explains them well.

Thank you al112987. It means alot to have someone back me and understand. Thank you for the advice on the JVM as well. I just want a sort of all solution amp to get me all those tonalities. I heard good things about the JVM, and heard some good clips of them as well, I just thought I would get some feedback on some marshalls regardless.

Thank you EMGPWNS, for your suggestion as well, as well as for the link to help explain things as well. It really is appreciated.
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
I forgot to thank ksmc as well. Sorry and thank you so much for the link and your feedback on the JVM, the link really helped out as well. =)
Good dealings with:
Vash_08
Madsjc
jdr94
Delanoir
creativlogic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8

That's a JVM right there, and it sounds awesome. I'll never truly understand the Marshall hate here, it's kind of like the Gibson hate, it's only on this forum that it's so bad. Would I personally buy a Marshall myself? Maybe an amp like a JVM or VM or something but I'd leave vintage amp reissues to clones and boutique makes. I find that a lot of Marshalls have some inherent issues but not really anything that most other mass manufacturers don't have. Marshalls are just disliked here for some odd reason, like I said, if you asked "which Orange" I assure you that no one would ask you "why does it have to be an Orange."
I didn't care for the JVM the 3 or 4 times that I've played it. I just didn't care for the drive tone or quality feel. Love the older Marshalls though. Splawn amplification is out of North Carolina and hand builds Marshall clones. Plexi and hot rodded JCM 800 tones in one box.

Used somewhere between $900 and $1,400.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by al112987
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8

That's a JVM right there, and it sounds awesome. I'll never truly understand the Marshall hate here, it's kind of like the Gibson hate, it's only on this forum that it's so bad. Would I personally buy a Marshall myself? Maybe an amp like a JVM or VM or something but I'd leave vintage amp reissues to clones and boutique makes. I find that a lot of Marshalls have some inherent issues but not really anything that most other mass manufacturers don't have. Marshalls are just disliked here for some odd reason, like I said, if you asked "which Orange" I assure you that no one would ask you "why does it have to be an Orange."

i get what you mean, and i honestly think it comes from the johnny-come-lately's inability to understand there's a difference between an mg and a jcm800 (i exaggerate, but you get the point). then there's the "it's not br00talz ENuF" crowd that thinks it's shit without being modded (most of whom have likely never heard even one modded marshall). mixed in there, you have a handful of guys that actually know what they're talking about who might occationally suggest splawn (or whatever) for a specific TS's needs (kinda' like this guy's thread... sounds like he's looking for more "umph").

as far as the JVM goes... i don't like it, but that's not because of how it sounds, it's because of the sticker price. way to expensive vs. sound quality. i could find an early 80's 800 for the price of a new JVM... maybe not as many features, sure, but i'll take an early 80's jcm800 tone over features any day.

EDIT: 311, you snuck in while I was typing and made exactly my point! (for those of you new here, he's a guy that knows what's up)
Last edited by GrisKy at Oct 26, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy

EDIT: 311, you snuck in while I was typing and made exactly my point! (for those of you new here, he's a guy that knows what's up)

ha ha...Thanks! There are others here that are far smarter on gear than I am.

Well, at least here in the States a new or used Splawn is a better alternative to a JVM. $1,900 for a new JVM head is way too pricy for what you get.

In England, this situation is reversed and the JVM may be a better value. Tone...well that is subjective so I'll leave it it that. TS is in New York and Splawn is practically in his backyard. At least add it to your list with used 80s JCM800 or maybe something like a Laney Pro Tube.
I agree with you, Splawns are great amps and probably one of the best amp for the price kinds of deals out there, but in the end, in any case, with any style amp, a boutique amp is probably going to be better than their mass produced equivalent, so this is going to be the same regarding amps like say... Allen amplifiers or Victorias and Fenders, and yet if someone were to ask about Fenders here, no one would be saying "why does it have to be a Fender." It's really just Marshall that gets all the heat.

and Grisky, you're 100% right, it is backlash from all the kids running amok associating MGs with JCM800s, but let's be real here, is that backlash really helpful in the end? This thread is the best example I've seen, first three responses, I face palmed after every single one of them. Guy likes artists who use Marshalls and wants a sound like theirs, I really don't see why there is any problem with why he wants a Marshall. Like I said, if I came in here asking what amp should I get if I want something similar to Michael Bloomfield, I'd expect people to recommend Fenders. Hell if the TS had not even asked "what Marshall" simply "what amp would be best for _____" people would be recommending Marshalls anyway. Thus, it's easy for me to
Last edited by al112987 at Oct 26, 2009,
Page 1 of 2