Im looking for an amp for pure metal. I play panter, slayer, metallica, megadeth etc. I am looking for an amp that has a good amount of watts pref a stack. My budget is around 1000-1300 bucks. Again i just want the best possible metal amp i can get.

Thanks
I got a 6505+ and I use it for metal, hard rock, and a few things in between. Krank, Peavey, Rivera, Mesa/Boogie, and Deizel are some brands to start looking into. If you save a bit more, look into ENGL.
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
I like crank but there models that i can offord are all low watts like 20 watts : /
Quote by Kassuhn
I like crank but there models that i can offord are all low watts like 20 watts : /

Why does that matter? Are you planning on playing the Hollywood Bowl without any mics?
Used Boogie Mark III.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Used Boogie Mark III.

+1

Or a JCM800 from the 80s plus a boost of he wants to go more for the Megadeth type tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
unless your gonna gig somewhere really big dont worry about wattage. you might do well to save up for something better than the $1300 you have. look into marshall JCMs and old Mesa Boogies cos thats what early Metallica Megadeth and slayer were using (marshalls mostly, Metallica moved onto mesa with master of puppets), the 6505 is worth a look as well, try some of the others that have been suggested and make your own decision is probs the best idea though
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by mmolteratx
+1

Or a JCM800 from the 80s plus a boost of he wants to go more for the Megadeth type tone.

Agreed with the JCM800 or the Mark III. Alternatively, look into a Mark IV. Or, if feeling daring, a Mark V. Haven't heard how those sound, but they can't be bad.

That's another thing, if you aren't going to be playing anywhere big, then you might want to cut down on wattage. If the amp you are wanting turns out to be way too loud, but are not willing to go lower in wattage (or there is not an alternative), keep in mind you'll probably want an attenuator (THD Hot Plate for example). I use one with my 6505+, so I can crank it gigs. Love the sound I get (usually have the amp at 7.5 or 8, with the bright and deep switches on, and -8db for the attenuation), so look into that if you are really wanting a powerful tube amp.
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
kerry king and zakk wylde said that the marshall mg has crushing overdrive you should get one
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Quote by steve!
kerry king and zakk wylde said that the marshall mg has crushing overdrive you should get one

That's epic
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
That's epic

wat u mean haha?
and were should i look these up for the best deals?
soldano avenger?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well i cant really save since this is a christmas budget so im stuck about 1300 bucks
Quote by kyle62
There's your problem.

SOL. (Snort out loud)

Definitely all for the Mesa on this one, but I say get a Mark IV. USED Mark IV.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
A used Mark IV can be between 800 and 1300. I prefer the Mark III, personally.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Why the double post?

You just posted this thread asking the same damn thing a few days back.

The Krank Rev Jr Pro will give you a tone very close to the MK IV's higher gain levels.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Why the double post?

You just posted this thread asking the same damn thing a few days back.

The Krank Rev Jr Pro will give you a tone very close to the MK IV's higher gain levels.

Yea i just decided that to forget the new guitar and put all the money into the amp and wanted to see wat amps were available witha larger budget then I had.
Used Mesa Mark IV.

Doesn't get any better than that... unless you're talking about hand-wire or boutique stuff.

It'd have been easier for you to update and bump the old post than to create a new one.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 21, 2009,
Sorry im new so =(
Is the mesa IV a combo or stack btw? or comes in both?
Quote by Kassuhn
Sorry im new so =(
Is the mesa IV a combo or stack btw? or comes in both?

There's a combo and a stack version.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Kassuhn
Aww ok i found a used one for 950 how much are the cabs?

I'm not sure... many people match it up with a Recto cab

US$950?

That's fairly decent...

I think that's the lower end of the price spectrum for the MkIV.... not entirely sure tho
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Kassuhn
Yea theres one i see for 600 i should hop on that =)

Assuming that the goods are in reasonable condition, the Mk IV would be a great versatile amp you'll not need to upgrade from for a VERY long time.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Kassuhn

save up another 200 and get a chadwick or whatever they are. i heard a few demos of them and they sound sick. can deff get all the tones out of it for any of those bands. still agig worthy head as well.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
yea im going to have to see if its all in good condition first lol.
And not needing an upgrade would be great.
Quote by Kassuhn
yea im going to have to see if its all in good condition first lol.
And not needing an upgrade would be great.

One point you'll need to take note of is that Marks can be very difficult to dial in. You'll need the manual from Mesa's website if you expect to be able to dial a Mark in. That's just the downside of having an extremely versatile amp.

The Chadwick is a great amp according to MatrixClaw... and when it comes to amp opinions, it doesn't get any more experienced thatn MC's opinion.

However, for me personally... Mesa > Krank.

Don't get me wrong tho. Both companies make awesome products... but Mesa... is just better.

Krank's a funny brand. Due to their early association with Dimebag, they get more hate than is justified. Their amps are great, but inspire a very love-hate relationship. You either love the tone or you hate it, no in-between.

I personally think the Rev Jr Pro is awesome for how much it is and what it does. Krank fans literally think their amps are the best thing since sliced bread. However, an honest opinion is that they produce some awesome amps, but they aren't the top of the amp manufacturer pack yet.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Oct 22, 2009,
Ok ill definently get that manual. Nothing would be more frustrating than not knowing how to work it correctely haha.
Quote by ragingkitty
One point you'll need to take note of is that Marks can be very difficult to dial in. You'll need the manual from Mesa's website if you expect to be able to dial a Mark in. That's just the downside of having an extremely versatile amp.

The Chadwick is a great amp according to MatrixClaw... and when it comes to amp opinions, it doesn't get any more experienced thatn MC's opinion.

However, for me personally... Mesa > Krank.

Don't get me wrong tho. Both companies make awesome products... but Mesa... is just better.

i just could never get into mesa stuff. not that they are bad, just never saw anything special about them. krank sounds really good. like their image and all that jazz.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by Crohny
i just could never get into mesa stuff. not that they are bad, just never saw anything special about them. krank sounds really good. like their image and all that jazz.

Fair enough, the like-dislike thing is a preference and opinion thing. Nothing more, some like Mesa, others like Fender, some love Marshall, others like Krank, some love tubes, others think solidstates are awesome etc etc.

If you are able to get over the tone, Krank amps really are awesome. They pack tone into a value package. Sad tho that Krank gets lots of flak for their extremely early association with Dimebag, who wasn't famed for having tone that will make girls drop their panties.

If you check out their amp, they haven't actually made an amp that's worthy of hate just yet, which IMO, is pretty easy to do these days.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )