I am curious about building my own pickup. I was thinking of making a pickup for my violin (I am not satisfied with the sound of piezos). I'm kind of drawing inspiration from arch-top guitars - the pickup will be a separate piece of equipment that I would attach to the violin's body.

Does anyone know much about building pickups? If so, is anyone willing to help me make one?
ever heard of a thing called electric violin? Learn from there I guess...
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I have one. The pickup is too shrill with my amp. I've adjusted the EQ to the following:
Treble: 2
Mid: 7
Bass: 10
Gain: 0
It still sounds like a dying cat. I know it's not my playing (my playing is fine and we're talking about holding a single note to judge the EQ, not playing anything flashy). The piezo pickup hates my amp (I know it's a Spider, but still....). Hence, I am considering making a pickup that more resembles a humbucker for my violin.
If you make a fuzz pickup for your violin, you will get points from me at least.

On topic: I've been wondering how to build a pickup for some time now. To Google!
Hey look, a stoner/doom album.

GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

E-father of TheSPillow/Sam
E-brothers with Entity0009
Yep, google will show you much.

It's pretty easy with a string winder, but since you have to buy that, and all the parts for the pickup body, then the wire, it would almost ALWAYS be quicker, cheaper, and easier to find a custom pickup builder to make one for you.
Who makes custom pickups? After that, who makes them well? And for violins? I was thinking I would have to do it myself.
Quote by Geldin
I have one. The pickup is too shrill with my amp. I've adjusted the EQ to the following:
Treble: 2
Mid: 7
Bass: 10
Gain: 0
It still sounds like a dying cat. I know it's not my playing (my playing is fine and we're talking about holding a single note to judge the EQ, not playing anything flashy). The piezo pickup hates my amp (I know it's a Spider, but still....). Hence, I am considering making a pickup that more resembles a humbucker for my violin.
Piezos are naturally shrill. They're a capacitive device. The higher the frequency, the better they work. It's not just your amp. Piezos tend to be brittle sounding as a general rule.

Two choices here:

- Build a better preamp to shape the frequency response of the signal, before it gets to the amp.

- Use a magnetic pickup(s). But there is a big problem here. The strings on a violin are arranged in an arc. The radius is very tight. A guitar-style pickup has the coil in a flat plane. The outer string pair would be close to the pickup. The inner pair, much farther away. This would make for a horrible disparity in volume between strings.

How would you address that? One way would be to have separate coils, one for each string. That way you can position them equidistant from the strings.

I should also mention, strings for a violin with a magnetic pickup MUST be made of a material that is easily magnetized , such as a nickel alloy.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What type of electric violin do you have? Is it acoustic with just a piezo bridge or a solid body one?
Fender Thinline Tele 69' RI --- Gibson SG Special --- Epiphone Dot with Bigsby --- Squier Custom Tele II P90 --- Saga LP kit --- Yamaha FG-403MS acoustic