Just wondering if tube amps get better or worse as they age (apart from routine tube replacements etc.)?

This is all for a Marshall DSL401.

Actually, come to think of it, how often do tubes have to be replaced? How much do they cost? Is it cheaper to get it serviced my Marshall or a local store?

Thanks a bunch!
Tubes should be replaced (depending on the brand and usage) around every 6 months to 1.5 yeaes and cost around $20-30. Get it serviced locally.

As long as you care for a tube amp, it will last a loong time, but some people would say vintage amps are better - not because they are older, but because they "don't make them like they used to"
The DSL301 uses EL84s, which wear down pretty fast, so you'll probably need to replace the tubes within a year or so.

But an 11-year-old amp shouldn't have any other major problems for some time. After 20-30 years the electrolyte in the capacitors will have dried out somewhat, and it's usualyl a good idea to replace them. Other than that treat it well and it can last years. I've seen Plexis and Fenders from the 50s and 60s that work perfectly and have never been touched, sometimes even still using the original tubes!

And as for the 'heating issues' you mentioned, that's pretty common in the smaller, cheaper valve Marshalls. Usually a $5 PC case fan running from the filament supply will be fine, and if you don't want to fit it yourself, an amp tech will for a small fee.
Fully tube amps will last a looooooong time

Assuming they are retubed regularly, cared for and probably recapped every now and again... they will last.

I'm certain that a number of tube amps will actually survive the nuclear fallout... along with roaches, Boss pedals. Oh yeah and Twinkies... can't ferget the Twinkies.

Even if tube amps are somewhat busted up... they can be easily repaired.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
agreed with the above.

i'll also point out that a big reason for the inflated prices of vintage gear is simple supply/demand... originals aren't made anymore.

sure, you'll see the occational "made to spec" reissue, but that's more often than not a half-truth. like SAS said, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

check out this site for pretty decent info/reviews of tubes (but keep in mind the reviews are from the people trying to sell them... but they're still pretty good): http://thetubestore.com/
Some tubes, though, sound amazing even after having been left in an amp for 20+ years.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Some tubes, though, sound amazing even after having been left in an amp for 20+ years.

+1

ragingkitty - you forgot MG's and Spider III's on your list of things that will survive a nuclear fallout
Tube amps can survive EMPs, whereas a solid state amp can't.

And I'd just like to say it's not a good idea to leave a tube amp outside of a building for 20 years.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by i_am_metalhead
ragingkitty - you forgot MG's and Spider III's on your list of things that will survive a nuclear fallout

Haha... those are things... I think we all would rather forget about.

Quote by Raijouta
Tube amps can survive EMPs, whereas a solid state amp can't.

And Raijouta comes to the resuce...

I know of Mesa Mk III which still use the original tubes and still sound good.

Overall, tube amps are hardy as hell.

If the devil plays guitar... I'm sure he uses a tube amp too.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by GrisKy

Suddenly... hell doesn't seems as appealing as Little Nicky makes it out to be.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )