Hey all!
My birthday's coming up & I was thinking of asking for a new amp, or money towards an amp (or possibly pedals), & I had thoughts of getting a Bugera 333XL

But I won't need that kind of power for a while, as at the minute I'm only practising at home but trying to find a band.

I play metal & have a couple decent guitars for what I play, at the minute I have a Peavey Bandit which is still too much power for home practise.

Any reccomendations of other tube amps, that aren't quite so powerful??
Or maybe a cheap attenuator of some sort?

Thanks!
Don't worry about it. It'll still sound great at lower volumes. Hell, 120W is too loud for anyone these days.

That kind of amp isn't really designed to be cranked, as most hard rock/metal tones come from preamp gain, not the power section. The high wattage is simply there to give you lots of headroom, and therefore clarity. Thus an attenuator is pointless too.
Blackstar HT-5 is the standard answer, though I've never personally played one, the reviews are glowing.

EDIT: Unless of course you go for the Bugera and keep the master volume down ^
Obligatory gear list
Guitars
Ibanez SZ4020 w/BKP Miracle Man set
Cort X-11 w/EMG 85+81
Tanglewood TSB58 HB w/BKP Nailbomb & Cold Sweat
Epiphone SG Prophecy w/Seymour Duncan/Ibz
Basses
Indie Swamp 4
Ibanez BTB 775 PB
Amps
Engl Screamer 50
Last edited by lyonk55 at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Don't worry about it. It'll still sound great at lower volumes. Hell, 120W is too loud for anyone these days.

That kind of amp isn't really designed to be cranked, as most hard rock/metal tones come from preamp gain, not the power section. The high wattage is simply there to give you lots of headroom, and therefore clarity. Thus an attenuator is pointless too.

Maybe I'll just get the Bugera then
Wish I knew more about amps &, well... Everything!

EDIT:
Quote by lyonk55
EDIT: Unless of course you go for the Bugera and keep the master volume down ^

Will it still sound good though?
That's my only worry, really
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Oct 21, 2009,
don't worry about it. the whole "amp is too loud for bedroom practice" is often not really true. there's a reason these amps have volume knobs, you should be able to get a good metal sound out of it without cranking it. people might tell you to get the blackstar HT-5, but it's not like you'll be able to crank 5 watts of tube power anyways
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
don't worry about it. the whole "amp is too loud for bedroom practice" is often not really true. there's a reason these amps have volume knobs, you should be able to get a good metal sound out of it without cranking it. people might tell you to get the blackstar HT-5, but it's not like you'll be able to crank 5 watts of tube power anyways

Don't judge, that famn dother mucker can get loud...

I have a 6262, at 1 through a 4x12 my family still isn't bothered by it much at all. It could be because my grandparents are practically deaf and couldn't hear an angry bee if it lived in their frickin' ear, but I don't even feel it to be that loud.

However, don't you dare put that thing on 6 unless you're home alone. While that was one of the greatest hour jam sessions of my life, I still proceeded to make the Mckully Culkin face.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
^im not saying that they can't get loud, im just saying that out of a good amp like this one you shouldn't worry about having trouble getting good tone at low volume
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well sounds like I'll be getting a Bugera in a month or so

One more thing that concerns me... The 333XL doesn't have seperate reverb for clean & either drive channel, does it?
Could anyone reccomend an amp (preferabley with 3 channels, but not necassary) with seperate reverb controls??

Mainly because I don't like much reverb on my drive channels, but like a reverby clean tone, but might be able to get reverb pedal for efficiency of switching channels, etc.
Last edited by _-Joey-_ at Oct 22, 2009,
If the 120 watt amp has a master volume then you have nothing to worry about.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
If the 120 watt amp has a master volume then you have nothing to worry about.

+1
Well, if you turn it down, the fact that its a great amp will ensure you get a reasonable tone from it i guess. Also its good to buy an amp such as that now cos it will last you a long time without being superseded. If it becomes too low quality, then you clearly need a pretty good amp IMO.
If you crank it, it will surely blow your head, and the wall behind you, and the wall behind that, and the walls in the corner shop at the end of your street, very far away. They arent designed to only come alive at full volume, so you'll be fine.
people don't get 120 watt amps to push all the way into power tube saturation range, that is rediculous. this misconception is what makes people believe that 100+ watt amps are useless.

people get amps with 100+ watts because they DON'T want power amp saturation. this is advantagous when playing with lots of gain or with slack tunings, it helps avoid the mud tone problem. and as also mentioned above, these amps do come with master volume knobs.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by _-Joey-_
Well sounds like I'll be getting a Bugera in a month or so

One more thing that concerns me... The 333XL doesn't have seperate reverb for clean & either drive channel, does it?
Could anyone reccomend an amp (preferabley with 3 channels, but not necassary) with seperate reverb controls??

Mainly because I don't like much reverb on my drive channels, but like a reverby clean tone, but might be able to get reverb pedal for efficiency of switching channels, etc.

the foot switch has a reverb on/off button...

EDIT:
I think you should go with a reverb pedal in the loop tbh. The onboard reverb only has one option and you cant really experiment with it.
Woot! New Zealand...
Last edited by espguitar// at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by espguitar//
the foot switch has a reverb on/off button...

EDIT:
I think you should go with a reverb pedal in the loop tbh. The onboard reverb only has one option and you cant really experiment with it.

Thanks! Forgot about the footswitch sorta, thought it might just be between channels! (but now I read that it's a 4-way footswitch, my bad for not reading thoroughly enough!)

I'll probably go for this then, & then get some more money for pedals/guitars for christmas

Thanks everyone for helping!
Quote by kyle62

+1

Although, I wouldn't say it sounds "great" at low volumes. Put it on 8 o'clock and you're getting somewhere. It's solid at any volumes, yeah.
i got a 120 watt bugera (1990) and it sound's great at lower volume's..to get a full rock sound i put it on 2 which isn't that loud, and if you have to play lower it will still sound good....now cranked is insane, i got it up to 8 once for a few second's but it was so freiken loud i swear most people on this forum could have heard it regardless of which state they live in