i've read basically everything there is to read about fingerstyle bass and guitar, and when i'm using three or more fingers I'm very fast and also when I'm using one of my fingers as a pick and alternate picking I'm very fast; however, simply using my index and middle finger, I'm SOOO slow! as in slower than someone I know, who doesn't play guitar at all, can pick up my guitar and pick faster than me, with her index and middle finger. how do i get my fingers to move faster? if anyone can help me out at all i would be very thankful.
There is no shortcut to woodshedding and practice. Scales and scale exercises using a metronome is the best way. Start slow and don't increase the speed until you can play something accurately and with good tone. As we always say here in the bass forum, speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
MAYBE you could cut of your hand and get a robotic one that would be more efficient in every way from a human hand. MAYBE you should cut off BOTH your hands and replace them with robot hands. Or you could practice.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
Sorry but Alex is right it is practice. Using two fingers isn't very natural and I found it really hard at first even now if I need fast repetitive triplets or whatever I use a pick but your going to find those fingers much faster when you want to walk around the strings.

Somehow we seem to find we have already practised rapid wrist movements!
do exercises. particularly ones that may cause finger confusion.
start at 80 BPM (for example) and when you can play the lick 3 times in a row flawless, kick it up 4 more BPM. do that until you're satisfied with the tempo you reach.
well i've already practiced an insane amount, and this is just playing one note, not actually playing anything. like i said i'm pretty fast if i use more fingers, so i just think that i'm doing something wrong or my fingers are just slow. i can play everything, no matter how difficult. i just can't play it fast if i'm using only two fingers. i just don't know what i'm doing wrong.
Last edited by eddievanzant at Oct 21, 2009,
It comes down to muscle training and memory. I used to hook (use one finger) and could play decently that way and it took a few months before I could train my plucking hand to use two fingers effectively. You have to break a way of doing something that you do without thinking and now retrain doing it a completely different way. That takes time.
I wrote a lesson similar to this that's pending approval at the moment, actually. Here's a trick that isn't used commonly.

For using two fingers for triplets or sixteenths at fast tempos, flick your finger across the string as you are moving it back to the original position from which you first hit a note. You will be able to play twice as fast and it's rather simple to do fast as your fingers will move back and forth quite easily as opposed to down, move back and then down again, and so forth.
1) get a metronome
2) set it to a tempo 60 bpm
3) play straight 8th notes
4) after getting those good and consistent for awhile, increase the tempo a little bit
5) repeat.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
1) get a metronome
2) set it to a tempo 60 bpm
3) play straight 8th notes
4) after getting those good and consistent for awhile, increase the tempo a little bit
5) repeat.

6) Go back to playing at the slower tempos often, as practice should be half development, and half maintenance.
Quote by Steve08
I wrote a lesson similar to this that's pending approval at the moment, actually. Here's a trick that isn't used commonly.

For using two fingers for triplets or sixteenths at fast tempos, flick your finger across the string as you are moving it back to the original position from which you first hit a note. You will be able to play twice as fast and it's rather simple to do fast as your fingers will move back and forth quite easily as opposed to down, move back and then down again, and so forth.
yeah, that's one of the things i do to play faster. i'm just annoyed that i'm so slow with mimi
Quote by Deliriumbassist
6) Go back to playing at the slower tempos often, as practice should be half development, and half maintenance.

that's a really good point. i actually do have trouble sometimes at really slow tempos because of that.
#DTWD
i can already use all four fingers, but i think tape is really going to help me with imim too so thank you very much in advanced lol it also seems that i can really work my fingers by alternating snapping my fingers into my hand while also bringing my other finger back into position quickly
as important as it is to start slow and make sure youre playing evenly, I find it very beneficial to jump into crazy tempos and play along to some fast music for a while, it doesnt really matter if youre not super tight (or rather you obviously wont be but itll push you). when you then return to the point where you before struggled to keep up, it should now be fairly easy (and tight).
buy one of those planet waves varigrip things..i'm pretty sure they are meant to make your fingers stronger
Quote by roundwoundsound
buy one of those planet waves varigrip things..i'm pretty sure they are meant to make your fingers stronger

and cause carpal tunnel.
If you want strong hands, milk a couple cows every morning.
If you want faster fingers, get a metronome and use it as directed above.
Quote by anarkee
and cause carpal tunnel.

Stretching before and after will help against that though. And should be done before and after playing.
Quote by bolivardogman
as important as it is to start slow and make sure youre playing evenly, I find it very beneficial to jump into crazy tempos and play along to some fast music for a while, it doesnt really matter if youre not super tight (or rather you obviously wont be but itll push you). when you then return to the point where you before struggled to keep up, it should now be fairly easy (and tight).

i wish i could just go faster, even if it was sloppy. how fast can other people imim? i'd think after ten years of playing i'd be able to at least play something sort of fast