I just bought this:

Http://www.rondomusic.com/product2794.html

And this:

Http://www.rondomusic.com/baritonecase.html

I am too excited to wait for it to get here. Haha

It comes with 10-46 strings and tunes to CFA#D#GC or BEADF#B. I was planning on going lower. Ideally, I would like to be a full octave down. The tunings above are 3rd major and perfect 4th down. I have NO idea what this means, but if the tension is close to right with these two tunings, then I shouldn't have to go way to big to get to low E standard.

Has anyone experimented with this? It is only a 27" scale baritone, so maybe it isn't possible.

I was also thinking about an all-wound set , however keeping tension reasonable with all wound is hard if not impossible.

I do not mind huge strings either BTW (have seen baritone sets with a string as large as .09x)

Thanks again, gods of guitar knowledge.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
So you want to go to A if I am hearing right, it's a baritone so I think you could use 10s. I used 11s on my regular guitar to A and it didn't feel like spaghetti but it wasn't poppy so I think 10s on a baritone would work.
I don't know mang. I don't know. I want to be lower than standard E, but tuned EADGBE.

Is that bass tuning? I have never played bass outside of goofing around. Is this an impossible notion on a 27" scale? Sorry if I am just being stupid.
Agile 2800 Baritone (Crunchy Rail bridge/Fat Pat Neck) or Douglas WRL 590 -> MXR Super Comp -> -> MXR M108 EQ -> Peavey 5150 212 (Eminence Redcoat Gov) or Bugera V5
An octave lower than guitar EADGBE is bass EADG.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Ok. Yeah. So looks like that is too low. Sorry, nothing to see here. The strings would have to be far too big (ie, bass strings)
It IS a huge way down, it's the same amount of tones/semitones that would suffice to drop from E standard do G# standard on normal guitar. G# standard. Don't see it around very often, eh? And that's the problem. Dropping the baritone to E octave below is probably impossible, due to the scale shorter than the bass scale you'd have to buy strings much thicker than for bass guitar, this would mean nut modification as well etc. Pretty much impossible, go buy a bass.

Sorry if my grammar sucks, it's 1:20AM here.
Schecter Hellcats are tuned down an octave down to bass.

I recently used a bass/guitar pack of strings on my guitar (I had none spare as I was waiting for two pack I ordered that didn't arrive at that time). 85-24 they were.
The lowest string was really out of notation, or whatever the right word is. Because there was too little space for it to be fretted. Unlike bass guitars which have lots more room on the fretboard.

The first 4 strings were fine.

I've used 58s on my Telecaster. They can achieve G#. Considering I have the nut sanded for 13s to be used in Standard.
Last edited by ctb at Oct 21, 2009,
No grammer police here man.

Thank you very much. I played in drop G with a custom set of strings (largest was 70 IIRC) on a Dean Vendetta XM (normal guitar scale.)

If it will require strings larger than a bass, or even close to a bass, screw that. I will get a bass. It was just an idea because the friend I play with plays E standard and is just learning (isn't ready/willing to learn drops and such.)

I will just capo and stop being silly. I didn't realize bass was only one octave lower. Sorry for the worthless thread.
It's worth a try anyhow

Getting to G# is more than doable on a standard scale length, just stick on some heavy gauges and give it a try. At the end of the day all you have is just a large set of strings and some tuning if it doesn't work
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by ctb
A full octave?

You want to be in 'bass standard'?

get you one of agiles 8s with a 30" scale (if thats still an option) and you might be able to go below bass standard!

nice barry by the way. id like to get one but i dont know what body style or even make i want.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

That ibanez is pretty sweet. Haha

This baritone is only a 27" scale, so super big strings aren't needed. I am using Dean Markley Blue Steel 12-54 (probably going to a 56-58 on the big string for drop tuning. We'll see tomorrow! )

I am so very excited! I am going to start with drop B and walk down until I find the guitar tone I want, then I have to figure out what tubes to be running in my Blackheart 15 watt.

That is for another thread though. I am so very excited!!!
Quote by PimpSmurf
That ibanez is pretty sweet. Haha

This baritone is only a 27" scale, so super big strings aren't needed. I am using Dean Markley Blue Steel 12-54 (probably going to a 56-58 on the big string for drop tuning. We'll see tomorrow! )

I am so very excited! I am going to start with drop B and walk down until I find the guitar tone I want, then I have to figure out what tubes to be running in my Blackheart 15 watt.

That is for another thread though. I am so very excited!!!
If you like open-drop tunings, AEADF#B is nice, with a 27" scale 6-string guitar. Or you can simply go for a standard B. BEADF#B

I wouldn't recommend going any lower than that. It's a Les Paul shaped body, it's going to get very muddy. And how good it sounds also depends on what amp you are using. If you have a starter amp, it will sound like crap.
Quote by Tedward
You should have bought this instead...

I asked before I bought it and no one made any recommendations. $600 wasn't in my price rance anyway.

I like that other guitar too, but I wanted a shorter scale. 27-28 is enough for me! heh
****ing UPS' slow mother ****ing ass.

HURRY UP! I got places to go! Arpeggios to fail!

jeez. bored and staring out the window makes for bad bumps.
Quote by hot4teacher
wow just wow, dare i ask for clips

It wasn't mine to keep unfortunately. Surprisingly good playability for such a low tuning and heavy strings. Felt really natural actually if you can imagine such a thing.