I am looking to get an acoustic bass because I have always wanted to learn bass as well as guitar and want a bass I can just pick up and play. I also play almost entirely acoustically (don't even own an electric guitar) and think an acoustic bass would accompany that well. I don't want to spend a lot of money and I saw a bass made by a company I have never heard of which is Michael Kelly Guitar Co.

Has anyone ever played one of these? The reviews on guitarcenter and musicfriend were positive but I want another opinion. Would hate to buy something that isn't worth what I'm paying. I would go play it myself but I can't find one in a store around here.

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/firefly.html
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Firefly-4-String-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-512270-i1147657.gc

^^^^Links

I am the King of Carrot Flowers

Last edited by JezuzFingerz at Oct 21, 2009,
I think I played a guitar from them once, but not sure...
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
They are one of the better acoustic basses IMHO

However that is not saying much, i find electric basses compliment acoustic guitars much better because the tone of an acoustic bass blends in too well with an acoustic guitar, becoming inaudible. Your best bet is to buy and electric and experiment with flatwound strings
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Double Basser
They are one of the better acoustic basses IMHO

However that is not saying much, i find electric basses compliment acoustic guitars much better because the tone of an acoustic bass blends in too well with an acoustic guitar, becoming inaudible. Your best bet is to buy and electric and experiment with flatwound strings
I agree that makes sense about the sounds blending. However I love the portability of acoustic instruments, not fun carrying an amp around everywhere. I'm not going to doing gigs or anything of that sort, just playing with friends.

I have never played bass before. If I enjoy playing it, I will probably save up and buy an electric bass also. Can't have too many instruments in my opinion.

Last edited by JezuzFingerz at Oct 21, 2009,
In that case i recommend you look at something cheaper then the Micheal Kelly.

The important thing though is to play acoutsic basses before you buy them, i've played ones that were $200 that sounded better then a $700 Micheal Kelly, but then played another of that brand and it was hopeless.

Btw i'm in Australia
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
I played two acoustic basses at guitarcenter. They were both Deans and I didn't like them very much. I have however played an acoustic bass I did like but it was a Breedlove and far too expensive for my price range. I'll look around a bit more and see if I can find a store that has a Michael Kelly bass, I agree that it is important to play any instrument before you buy it.

yeah deans are shoddy as, try and find a Cort if you can, played one the other day and it wasn't bad
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
I'd suggest looking at/trying a low end Ibanez bass. The $200 one I found quite playable, at least compared to the Michael Kelly's and Deans I've played. Try it out first of course, but just thought I'd add another option
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be making another trip downtown soon so I will see if I can find some Ibanez's or Corts. Might as well try everything, I'm in no rush to decide.