Page 1 of 2
I was checking the VMNT from dean and thinking.... woah a cool V guitar from a cool man, Dave mustaine, so I continued lookind and I found that he´ll relase a NEW signature and I think.... OMG a FLOYD rosed version o an improved V or a Radically new design..... but I only see Hetfield-esque guitar....Check this out

http://www.iheartguitarblog.com/2009/09/news-more-info-on-dean-zero-dave.html
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
Eh, that's pretty ugly IMO. I don't know what it is but any Explorer copy just comes off incredibly tacky to me, I make the occasional exception for Kellys but that's it.

God I wish that he would just go back to jackson, if he did and wanted a explorer style he could of got the sexy Kelly.
Quote by Adrian89
I was checking the VMNT from dean and thinking.... woah a cool V guitar from a cool man, Dave mustaine, so I continued lookind and I found that he´ll relase a NEW signature and I think.... OMG a FLOYD rosed version o an improved V or a Radically new design..... but I only see Hetfield-esque guitar....Check this out

Dave, I am disappoint.
Guess I'm the only one who likes it >.>
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Quote by chrisa123
Guess I'm the only one who likes it >.>

no...i like it too
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Quote by Adrian89

James is not the only person to own an explorer, ya know.

EDIT: I like the guitar and it looks awesome. For the people that are like "OMG I'm dissappointed!" You're an idiot. God for bid a guitarist changes a different shaped guitar after about 2+ decades.
Last edited by The Arsis at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by zakky_s
no...i like it too

As do I. But that said, it looks like a string-thru Dean EET FUK copy minus EET FUK, and with Livewires. Dave may say he's over being kicked from Metallica, and I sincerely hope he is, but even if only subconsciously this pretty clearly shows he wants to be James.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
As do I. But that said, it looks like a string-thru Dean EET FUK copy minus EET FUK, and with Livewires. Dave may say he's over being kicked from Metallica, and I sincerely hope he is, but even if only subconsciously this pretty clearly shows he wants to be James.

So If I use a Jackson Rhoads V does that mean I want to be Randy Rhoads?
Quote by The Arsis
So If I use a Jackson Rhoads V does that mean I want to be Randy Rhoads?

And if I buy a Herman Li sig does that mean I wanna be asian?
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
I think it would look better if it didn't have that headstock on it. I don't think that headstock shape suits the explorer body.

Also...........Lawlz for Dave Mustaine using an explorer.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Quote by whytefyre_hawk
I think it would look better if it didn't have that headstock on it. I don't think that headstock shape suits the explorer body.

Also...........Lawlz for Dave Mustaine using an explorer.

Ummm so what...Why is it funny that he uses an explorer...Xplorer = more metal then LP imo which bjorn from in flames uses if im not mistaken. And if you're referring to metallica, good job on beating a dead horse.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by The Arsis
Yes.

Accordding to necrosis1193.

There's a difference between being a kid buying a signature guitar and being Dave Mustaine commissioning a guitar that reminds easily of one of James', or at least for me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by chrisa123
Ummm so what...Why is it funny that he uses an explorer...Xplorer = more metal then LP imo which bjorn from in flames uses if im not mistaken. And if you're referring to metallica, good job on beating a dead horse.

I never mentioned anything about an LP being 'unmetal'. Really I don't think it matters what kind of guitar you use for any certain kind of music. There are plenty of bands that use Les Pauls that are plenty 'metal'. As long as it sounds good, use it.

And yea I'm referring to Metallica. Wasn't that the point of the TS calling Mustaine crazy? I just thought it was a little ironic that Mustaine would use an explorer when Hetfield is known for using one.

In all actuality it really doesn't matter what he uses, I just thought it was a little humorous that's all.
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Jeeze, just let Dave play what he wants to play weather it reminds you of "EET FUK" or not. After all, it's his guitar. For all we know it just came out that way as David may have seen this and that, and put it all together and though "this looks good" not thinking about any similarity to hetfield.

I know how it is to be on the receiving end of this argument on a much smaller scale. I can see a proof of sheep-herder-like marketing having an affect on some.

And what if Dave did it because of James....who the hell cares. It's still David's guitar. Plus, did'nt James Explorers have black hardware, not gold.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
I kind of like it. I prefer it to ugly Deans, anyway. But I tend to prefer what I see as classy. A matte finish with a non-distracting finish is perfect for me. Those custom graphics are just silly, IMO.
headstock does that "explorer" no justice.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
THIS is what you use as confirmation about Mustaine being crazy? What about the tons of stupid crap in the press over the years? lol.
As an unbiased party in the metal world, I must say that this guitar does not appeal to me. Just looks tacky.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by a7xplayer
Doesnt look bad to me. But why does Dave need so many signature guitars anyways?

why does Hetfields signature esp or whatever the hell he uses cost over 9 grand? a lot of shit doesnt make sense, but it puts more money in their pocket so theyre not bitching.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Sooo.. just because Hetfield mostly plays with explorers and Dean is releasing a signature explorer from him makes him crazy? Odds are it has nothing to do with what he really prefers but moreso with the market. He probably would have gone along with it for the money.
Or if anything, call me insane.. maybe he enjoys explorers himself, but just don't strictly use them.
THIS is what you use as confirmation about Mustaine being crazy? What about the tons of stupid crap in the press over the years? lol.

Playing a dean that is almost identical to EET **** is plenty provocative... and pointless, at least he want to play more confortable when sitting down
TH3 G3Ar
Wow, that's kind of nice. I usually hate explorers too.

Now, who the hell is Dave Mustaine?

I seriously didn't know who he was before I read this topic, don't kill me!
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Now, who the hell is Dave Mustaine?

I seriously didn't know who he was before I read this topic, don't kill me!

Megadeth's lead singer and rhythm guitar
TH3 G3Ar
Personally I think V's and Explorers are about the ugliest guitars on earth. Well, almost...

Personally I think V's and Explorers are about the ugliest guitars on earth. Well, almost...

basically, you kill my fav. guitars
TH3 G3Ar

Leave Mustaine alone!

..that's all i seem to be hearing from a lot of the people who are blatently trying to look away from the shocking similarity that is; this new signature model and Hetfield's old explorer. Distressed finish? Almost as if it has been played for years? Like a certain explorer? Owned by a certain old enemy of Mustaine? How odd.

As for the actual guitar, not bad but the reduced lower horn makes the top left of the guitar look huge. Or maybe vise versa..
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

Last edited by ILuvPillows? at Oct 22, 2009,
Not a bad looking guitar but I wonder why mustaine decided to stray from the v. A lot of his play style depends on the v shape where he kinda tucks it in between his legs and plays certain solos with his left thumb doing some fretting on the high b and e strings.
Schecter C-1 XXX (with SD Dave Mustaine Livewire Actives)
Roland Cube 60
Be nice James Hetfield, share white explorers.

It's a bit hard to say that Dave is copying Hetfield, he's not the only one with an old looking white explorer is he?
And with relic guitars being so popular lately and with one of Dean's opposition, ESP, making some distressed guitars, it's only natural that a distressed guitar would pop up in the Dean roster, hell I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson released a relic soon (if they haven't already).

It's a mixture of, a completely rational shape and colour choice, mixed with a known popular marketing scheme.
Just because there's a whole "Metallica/Megadeth" thing, it doesn't mean that Dave Mustaine, Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield base their lives off the whole argument does it?

It may look similar to Hetfields, but Stevie Ray Vaughan had a distressed sunburst strat, Rory Gallagher had a distressed sunburst strat...did one copy the other? No.
It's natural that people would compare what Dave will do/has done to Metallica with their dispute, but it's a bit farfetched in some cases =/

I sound like such a "Baw Dave Mustaine" ***** don't I?
It may look similar to Hetfields, but Stevie Ray Vaughan had a distressed sunburst strat, Rory Gallagher had a distressed sunburst strat...did one copy the other? No.

SRV fender was pretty customized... rory's one no.... but seriously, this dean is a DEAN EET ****, being created by mustaine or by Anyone, its an EET **** copy just for Th3 LuLz of Mustaine thinkin' about's hetfield's face seeing it
TH3 G3Ar
Quote by Adrian89
SRV fender was pretty customized... rory's one no....

SRVs number one had the SRV lettering a black pickguard and a different bridge.
Rory's was pretty much stock.

EET FUK had was a standard gibson which had EET FUK on it.
This Dean has a different bridge, a slightly different shape and a different headstock.

All very small differences really.

but seriously, this dean is a DEAN EET ****, being created by mustaine or by Anyone, its an EET **** copy just for Th3 LuLz of Mustaine thinkin' about's hetfield's face seeing it

So, what you're saying by "being created by mustaine or by anyone" a white explorer which is distressed, IS an EET FUK copy?
A bit of a lax argument here.

The whole basis for "Dave is copying Hetfield" is simply "James Hetfield used a white explorer one time".
but you know, if you like football imagine if two rivals team get a very very similar t-shirt.... wont be weird???
TH3 G3Ar
Quote by Adrian89
but you know, if you like football imagine if two rivals team get a very very similar t-shirt.... wont be weird???

I understand yeah, I can even see why you think it's a EET FUK copy, however, the t-shirt metaphor doesn't really work.
Jimmy Page uses a sunburst les paul, Slash uses a sunburst les paul, at no point has anyone said Slash has copied Jimmy Page. It's the relationship with Hetfield that Mustaine has that's formed this comparison more than anything.
Page 1 of 2