Page 1 of 2
After playing for about 3+ years how would the guitarist's body change from practicing guitar. For example, my friend told me that piano players get much more noticeable veins on the top of their hands. I already know that guitar players get better grip, so what others are there?
fingers are much stronger and can be moved faster.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Calluses on ends of fingertips
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
I've found that I have much more noticeable veins on my wrists, especially when I've been playing for a while, and when I'm in a really warm room.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
i can move my fingers faster... thats about it.
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by loudog93
raw skin on the wiener from all the fellatio.

lulzy lulz right der
I would say the veins around your wrists start to pop out more, better grip, and of course stronger fingers.
There's a muscle between your thumb and your index which usually gets stronger (aka better and stronger grip). Finger independence. Faster wrist movement, mainly in your picking hand.
can't say much about my veins as they've always been clearly visible and huge

I spose those that like to slouch , start to slouch more :P then again I'm a sloucher so I slouched alot before anyways - combined with 9 more years of slouching with a weight strapped over my shoulder while slouching....that's a lot of slouching.

and we all know our bodies look smexier with a guitar strapped on, now don't we
Oh yeah and my calluses start to wear away, and my fingers are used to it. My skin on my finger tips is really thick now.
Generally if you play metal your muscles deteriorate and you grow longer hair everywhere.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Depends on the guitar and style.

Of course if you play barre chords on an acoustic for 2 hours a day, you're going to have a pretty strong fretting hand.

If you just play sweep arpeggios every day on an Ibanez with .09's - you're fingers are going to get more dextrous and quicker but not much stronger.

If you quickly alternate between barre chords and sweep arpeggios on an acoustic every day for at least 2 hours straight...you'll add more girth to your penis, your voice will get deeper and you'll grow a beard of which Odin would be jealous...
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
I think the most noticeable thing is the calluses. And if you play regular gigs, move around a bit, carrying all the gear, I'd say you'd get pretty fit too.
After playing for 45 years, I am sure of the following.
Stronger left hand - great for opening those really tight pickle jars.
Faster Right hand and fingers - You are probably too young to appreciate this, but she isn't.
Weak shoulders and back. - But I played a Black Beauty for a year.
Very long arms - Thank you Fender Twin Reverb
Short strong legs - Hauling a Goliath around.
A tendency to fall forwards a lot - Badly balanced tube head
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Guitartist

If you quickly alternate between barre chords and sweep arpeggios on an acoustic every day for at least 2 hours straight...you'll add more girth to your penis, your voice will get deeper and you'll grow a beard of which Odin would be jealous...

Oh! That explains it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

i've also found that my forearm has changed in size
also i can use both hands now but i'm not sure if thats a blessing coz now it doesnt feel like someone else is doing it and a lack of circulation to my knob
Quote by Lurcher
Weak shoulders and back. - But I played a Black Beauty for a year.

That's hogwash!

If you're in good shape and have good posture, playing the guitar won't change it. If you already have bad posture, playing guitar can make it worse and you can develop problems....or you'll just notice them more....

I've been playing a non-weight-relieved Black Beauty for the past 6 years and have no back or shoulder problems (at least not because of the guitar...).

Stop scaring the kids.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
my fat belly is slightly less fat on the right side where my guitar rests
Guitarist... I literally LOL'ed for at least a minute. Your comment has made my day. Shot!
The only change I have noticed is that the veins on my hands are more visible, and I don't lift weights, so...who knows, it could just be my imagination.
Quote by Junior#1
Gilbert mutes with both hands. Palm muting and left hand muting. As for anchoring, he doesn't. He doesn't need to. After all, he's the creator of life, the universe, and everything.
Quote by Lurcher
Faster Right hand and fingers - You are probably too young to appreciate this, but she isn't.

This is usually the sort of response I give when people ask how guitar playing helps me

Can't think of much else besides calluses to be honest...
once you've mastered the brutality of death metal your body grows a third nut that drags behind you as proof from the gods that you are tr00......

really though its all basic human biology. any part of your body that gets stronger has the veins push closer to the surface for several reasons. obviously your forearms will become a little more muscley and your bones will get stronger. the skin in that area will lose fat and become more trim. its funny because im a little overweight but my forearms look really trim
Quote by Lurcher

I'm a lefty so I treat her like a pickle jar.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Guitartist

I got a good laugh out of that, just simply because I do exactly that (well sans the sweeping part, but the arpeggios definately) and I had a beard just like that, till I shaved it all off 2 days ago...now I miss it so and wish I didnt do that...Odin is laughin at me somewhere stroking his beard
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
The nails on my right hand are longer....

LOL@Lurcher.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Seriously? You guys don't play guitar all that much.

My right thumb is longer and my left hand fingers are longer. ****ing bone-level changes, foos.

And I know a classical guitarist who has a medical paper written about the way his hands have adapted to the instrument - apparently the development of specific small muscles is incredible compared to the average person.
Quote by Freepower

My right thumb is longer and my left hand fingers are longer. ****ing bone-level changes, foos.

And I know a classical guitarist who has a medical paper written about the way his hands have adapted to the instrument - apparently the development of specific small muscles is incredible compared to the average person.

what? ok ok ok, i'll buy that for the rest of these people in here but i've been 1-2 hours a day for the past 15 years and honestly about 4 or 5 years of that was closer to 8 hours a day. my bone structure has never changed, but obviously my muscle structure is different. i broke my pinky on my left hand when i was 22 or 23 and it grew back jutted out to the side, great for getting an extra fret out of a stretch.

that being said im sure my bones and muscles grew differently than what they would have had i not played guitar
Quote by Freepower

I was about to post a skeptical "pics or it didn't happen", but then on closer inspection of my own hands, it seems like I've got the same thing, there's about a millimeter difference
Last edited by Beserker at Oct 22, 2009,
if you play with good technique and warm up properly and if you play cold with shitty technique youll get, arthritis,tendonitis torn ligament and muscle tissue. SO it isnt always positives
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by z4twenny
what? ok ok ok, i'll buy that for the rest of these people in here but i've been 1-2 hours a day for the past 15 years and honestly about 4 or 5 years of that was closer to 8 hours a day.

Quote by Beserker
I was about to post a skeptical "pics or it didn't happen", but then on closer inspection of my own hands, it seems like I've got the same thing, there's about a millimeter difference

I can't believe this hasn't happened to more people - when I act that cocky I'm usually joking. Anyway, pics or it didn't happen.

You think that's crazy, there was a guy at Freak Guitar was 6' 8" and his left hand fingers were about 15mm longer than his right. Holy crap, eh?
^ jesus ! im looking at your picture and doing the same thing and thought i saw it but then questioned if maybe my hands weren't perfectly level all the way across. i know for a fact your forearm muscles get a good build and tone. i can actually flex my muscles in my forearm and everybody else i know has wimpy forearms.
Page 1 of 2