well i'm not even gonna act like i know any theory...because in reality i know such a miniscule amount it basically counts as 0.

so basically i have this riff that consists of a C#m a Bmaj and an Amaj

it would be like

C#m->Bmaj->Amaj->Bmaj->then it starts over.

see with my lack of knowledge i couldnt even tell you what key this is in..(i have trouble reading the circle of 5ths) so my first question is what exact key am i in, and what would be the reletive minor?

and my second question is what would be good scales to use over this, mostly rock type stuff, but preferably away from the pentatonics since i want to broaden my playing a little and i seem to only stick to those and it would be beneficial to learn other things that would go well, and of course why it goes in.

i appreciate the help!

thanks a ton!
It's in E major and the relative minor is C#m because it's the sixth note in the E major scale. So the Chords in the scale should be
1. E
2. F#m
3.G#m
4. A
5. B
6. C#m
7. d# dim
pretty standard minor progression in C#m dude.

Same progression as All Along The Watchtower and the climax of Stairway to Heaven except in a different key.

i - bVII - bVI - bVII -repeat.

EDIT: (C#m scale)
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by ilsagilm
It's in E major and the relative minor is C#m because it's the sixth note in the E major scale. So the Chords in the scale should be
1. E
2. F#m
3.G#m
4. A
5. B
6. C#m
7. d# dim

does that scale have a name? or is it just somethin thats there? (weird way to white a question but i just don't really know how else to write it...)

**i would plea to not be good at english...but im American **
Quote by 20Tigers
pretty standard minor progression in C#m dude.

Same progression as All Along The Watchtower and the climax of Stairway to Heaven except in a different key.

i - bVII - bVI - bVII -repeat.

EDIT: (C#m pentatonic)

oh i mean i deff know its a common progression but i was just messing with it...and kinda wanted to write some licks over it just for the heck of it but didnt really know where to start!

and thanks for the C#m scale ill wank around in it for a while!
Last edited by SunDrop at Oct 21, 2009,
There's a reason it's common - it's awesome.

It's in C# minor. Use a C# minor scale.

EDIT: There's something about C#minor too that just sounds good.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by 20Tigers
There's a reason it's common - it's awesome.

It's in C# minor. Use a C# minor scale.

EDIT: There's something about C#minor too that just sounds good.

very very true. now i just need to find out a good way to solo over it!
Can anyone elaborate on how they figures out the key of this progression or direct me to a place where I can learn this? Any help is appreciated