Poll Options
View poll results: you should
Get a non-music related job
18 41%
Do whatever you can to live off what you love
26 59%
Voters: 44.
Page 1 of 2
If being a hardcore rock god fails ( the odds are against me)

WHAT THE **** DO I DO.....

im talking job wise; do you

find a new love in something non-musical?
find a decent paying job in the music field?

just feels like all of my time in guitar will be in a sense wasted if i become a mechanic or something stupid.

thoughts?
Washburn / Boogiestreet guitars boogiebolt 2 w/ blackouts
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
squier bullet w/ebony board
ibanez weeping demon
Become a music teacher.

Have a back-up plan.

I'd recommend the second one.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
how about get some job stabability before you begin thinking of becoming a 'rock god'
erm, study music theory for years, teach it music to elementary kids.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
I hardly see how years of playing is a waste of time. If you only started because you wanted an easy source of income you may as well quit right now. I love playing but I'll probabaly find a better job than something music related, and I plan on still playing for the rest of my life. (Or until I develop some flesh eating disease that causes me to lose all my limbs)
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by genghisgandhi
recording techniscion

i thought of this
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Music teacher, instrument teacher, band director.

Sound tech, recording tech, mixing engineer, perpetual roadie.

Studio musician, though honestly, with that talent, go for ROCK GOD .

Defeat Jack Black in a rock-off.

Be a Music Suit, that is, a dude in the industry, but always work toward finding a decent label to work for, rather than one that anally rapes the artists with a barbed-wire condom.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

If i dont become a rock god, im going to be a Materials Engineer.

Or a race car driver.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
Quote by SteveHouse

Be a Music Suit, that is, a dude in the industry, but always work toward finding a decent label to work for, rather than one that anally rapes the artists with a barbed-wire condom.

omg i love you, would owning/working at a recording studio be a sweet idea?

then you could get some discounted studio time for your band..
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by SteveHouse

There are record companies that don't do that!?
i have a friend who lives off of all around teaching, playing in several different jazz groups, a heavy rock band, all kinds of stuff. if you study theory and maybe practice a bit of jazz, it'll be easier to make money then from just being in a rock band and expecting to become a god.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by allskillage
omg i love you, would owning/working at a recording studio be a sweet idea?

then you could get some discounted studio time for your band..

I would love to work in a studio. Owning one sounds like a bad idea unless the economy/credit market takes a huge upturn.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Well how about you grow up a little more before you start thinking about this? If you're really only 14, you don't even know who you are, let alone what you'll want to do for decades of your adult life. There's no reason why you won't or can't pick up any other interests besides music within the next few years which may point you in a clearer career direction.
I also want to be a rock god, but I'm a pussy and have no respect from anyone so that won't happen, and if I did it would still be impossible. I really want to be a music producer if that doesn't happen (I mean when it won't happen). As for a non-musical job, I want to be a scientist (I have interest in many fields)
Do you really love music? Really?? Really really?
If you answered yes to three or more of these questions, then find a musical career.
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?
Find something else that interests you?

It really urks me when people are all like "OMG muSAk is MY LYFE BRO!!" I tutored a few students who seem to have that enthusiasm when they start only to find out that it no longer interests them.

Gotta have a back up plan for everything in life. I enjoy music, I enjoy martial arts, I enjoy psychology. I want to be a addictions therapist when all my schooling is done.

You're also 14 dude. Just enjoy your childhood. You're not going to realize how much you're gonna miss it until you're my age.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Do what you have a passion for if you can. You should look into film and TV editing studios and offer them soundtracks if you are a good composer. I did one for a Tourism Alberta TV commercial back in the early 90s, it was scored and recorded by an orchestra, I did it Midi on a DOS version of Cakewalk (there was no guitar) and it was picked out of 6 submitted by big studios. It was kind of a rip-off of "The Mission", but totally original melody. Anyways I made $7,000 but never tried anything since.

EDIT: I didn't see you were only 14, disregard my comments for about 7 more years.
Last edited by Tempoe at Oct 21, 2009,
Quote by HarrisonB
Do you really love music? Really?? Really really?
If you answered yes to three or more of these questions, then find a musical career.

i do love music... its basically my only hobby besides track and field.

yet, i do have other interests... like trying to save this doomed planet.

my science teacher said to start thinking about the basics because with everyone living/farming on the coasts, and sea levels rising... we're ****ed
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by Nelsean
Find something else that interests you?

It really urks me when people are all like "OMG muSAk is MY LYFE BRO!!" I tutored a few students who seem to have that enthusiasm when they start only to find out that it no longer interests them.

Gotta have a back up plan for everything in life. I enjoy music, I enjoy martial arts, I enjoy psychology. I want to be a addictions therapist when all my schooling is done.

You're also 14 dude. Just enjoy your childhood. You're not going to realize how much you're gonna miss it until you're my age.

+one billion million....zillion
yeah i guess i am 14 lol.... but it helps to know what field your going to be aiming at. ( so you can take the right courses/clubs ect )

i just dont want to turn out like my 22 year old drop out brother who never knew where he was going in life... and still doesnt.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Well what im doing is working my balls off saving my money, and recording an album at the same time. When the album is released i'll start doing alot of shows, and depending on how well it's recieved i'll quit my job and hit the road ;P

But yeah you always need a job, how are you going to live on your own with a job?
Gigs can be few and far between.
Day after day, love turns gray. Like the skin on a dying man.

I, feel

Cold as a razor blade
Tight as a tourniquet
Dry as a funeral drum

PSN: Allshalperish
Steam ID: Fiesal

Check out my band!
Quote by allskillage
yeah i guess i am 14 lol.... but it helps to know what field your going to be aiming at. ( so you can take the right courses/clubs ect )

i just dont want to turn out like my 22 year old drop out brother who never knew where he was going in life... and still doesnt.

Make sure that he's not your only influence in life, you know. If you're living your life with the sole purpose of "not being like Bro" he's still ruling your life.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

There's plenty of jobs in the industry. Production, engineering, teaching, etc. You can still do what you love for a living.
If you want to do something in the music industry that actually involves music (not an engineer or similar jobs) that isn't being in a band, I highly recommend learning to read music (if you haven't already).

From what I've read, that is a pretty important skill to have if you wanna make it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
my list in order of preference goes:

"Rock God" to put it in your words
Producer
Engineer
Instrument store owner/Teacher/Record store owner

Seeing as I have all the necessary qualifications and skills, I'm pretty much assured a job in the music industry, albeit it could be at the bottom of the pile.
engineer is something i'll look into.
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by slipknot5678
I quit my last band because they only wanted to play songs by Bullet For My Valentine.

wana trade?
#10/50

Jackson DK2S
Randall RG100 G3 Plus
ibanez weeping demon
Quote by rockingamer2
If you want to do something in the music industry that actually involves music (not an engineer or similar jobs) that isn't being in a band, I highly recommend learning to read music (if you haven't already).

From what I've read, that is a pretty important skill to have if you wanna make it.

Very true. Learning Musical Notation is a biggie for being a hired session guitarist for big name artists.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
There are many viable paths in the music industry and career. It's unfortunate that most of you think being signed to a record label is the only measure of success in music.

Being a professional musician is being an entrepreneur of your own business: you. As both the owner and product, you need to be able to find multiple revenue streams stemming from your talent as a musician. Examples of these streams are:

-Performance royalties from being a member of ASCAP/BMI/etc
-Teaching
-Gigging performances for both live and studio settings
-Publishing income from your works
-Arranging, orchestration, and notation editing jobs
-Working as the member of a music-related organization

I am surrounded by many musicians who, while aren't billboard famous, are not in a bad place. Like any business, it takes focus, organization, and discipline on what your goals are. If you stay on that track, money shouldn't be an issue.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by slipknot5678
That's my plan (I'm fourteen too :p I mean later), but like I said before, everyone wants me to kill myself and hate it when I do anything musical (or anything at all for that matter),

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
*pic*

If that means I suck, I know I suck at everything, but people beg me to kill myself when I do stuff non-musical related too, and I'm pretty sure it's because I don't play scene kid music.
both
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by slipknot5678
If that means I suck, I know I suck at everything, but people beg me to kill myself when I do stuff non-musical related too, and I'm pretty sure it's because I don't play scene kid music.

Ok, we get it. Everyone hates you and you want to die. That's great. Quietly whisper to yourself about it in the corner.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Ok, we get it. Everyone hates you and you want to die. That's great. Quietly whisper to yourself about it in the corner.

I don't want to die. I will just get the **** away from everyone now
Page 1 of 2