Page 1 of 4
I was just thinking about what the iconic songs of the 00's will be. It doesn't matter what genre the song is or whether or not you like it. It's just what you think some of the most popular songs of the decade were.

70's had Stairway to Heaven, Free Bird etc.

80's had Welcome to the Jungle, Livin' on a Prayer etc.

90's had Smells Like Teen Spirit, Baby One More Time etc.

And yes, I know there's going to be a lot of people who say "None, because music sucks nowadays".

I say Drive by Incubus and Vertigo by U2.

EDIT: Just thought of another one. Can't Stop by RHCP. I think everybody has at least heard the riff.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
Last edited by maidenfan15 at Oct 21, 2009,
System of a Down - BYOB
Tool - Schism
A Perfect Circle - Judith

for the early 00's anyway those ones come to mind for me
Eh, those two weren't really that popular. I hardly ever hear Drive on pop stations anymore, and I've only heard Vertigo once or twice on the radio.

None really come to mind at the moment tbh.
My Humps - Black Eyed Peas

It defines a generation
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
RHCP - Dani California
Kid Rock - All Summer Long

Those songs were commercially stellar.
Dani California - RHCP
Viva la Vida - Coldplay
maybe Vertigo - U2

With the introduction of online filesharing and the general increase in the number of bands there really aren't any single iconic songs that represent the entire decade.

Edit: Or Beautiful Day - U2
Last edited by samick007 at Oct 21, 2009,
I Kissed a Girl

Really opened my eyes to the type of world we are living in.
UG Republican

Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.

Quote by xyz66
YES!!!

And I enjoy Katy Perry's music.

I swear to god nobody better sig this or else imma kill them
Quote by Xenogis
System of a Down - BYOB
Tool - Schism
A Perfect Circle - Judith

for the early 00's anyway those ones come to mind for me

--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Rap is gonna be what defined this decade anything from 50 cents candy shop to Soulja boys crank that...yes its a sad decade for music.
seven nation army- white stripes
It's always the last day of summer and I've been left out in the cold with no door to get back in
all of the music today is too bland to have anything that is considered "iconic". Especially in comparison to Stairway, or SLTS.

If I had to answer though, it'd definitely be some kinda rap. Or Fall Out Boy/ Green Day.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
I love One Armed Scissors and Sleepwalk Capsules by ATDI but they weren't really famous

EDIT: And I thought Octavarium by DT is one of the greatest songs of all time let alone of this decade
Last edited by KileManA7X at Oct 21, 2009,
Well the most iconic songs are usually one-hit wonders with stupidly large sell-out gigs. So who's sold out the biggest arenas this century? Those are your commercially successful "iconic" songs. But our decade has become an umbrella, you can put the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's into genres by commercial success, i.e. Classic Rock/Psychedelic Rock with the sixties, going Progressive Rock come 70's as well perhaps the start of Rap groups, then 80's split into metal bands of many assorts inspired by prog, but also created a lot of Synth Pop, and the cult bands at the time were doing the jangly Marr stuff. 90's had a massive wave of mainstream grunge, you know, Cobain. As for the 00's... It's hard to really define a genre... Perhaps the pop music that we know now? We can't even say that we're the indie generation because there aren't any "Iconic" anthems by indie bands.. You know, otherwise they wouldn't be Indie.

I know bands like Foo Fighters and Muse (whom I'm not really a fan of) have played really big sell-out gigs recently, I know that there's a lot Hip Hop music that's popular with people but I dunno about the size of their gigs.

Personally I don't think we have our iconic songs. Oh well.

Edit: I'm looking up some songs, Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes has had a bit of notoriety, perhaps that might make a candidate?
Last edited by Terastr at Oct 21, 2009,
Knights of Cydonia?
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Wow our generation really sucks now that i think about it

Edit:

Quote by voleurz
Good charlotte!

or nickleback

those guys kill it

YES!!!

lol
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
viva la vida. i cant stand it but theres no denying it is an amazing song
-JBSwreckfest
Quote by Terastr
Well the most iconic songs are usually one-hit wonders with stupidly large sell-out gigs. So who's sold out the biggest arenas this century? Those are your commercially successful "iconic" songs. But our decade has become an umbrella, you can put the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's into genres by commercial success, i.e. Classic Rock/Psychedelic Rock with the sixties, going Progressive Rock come 70's as well perhaps the start of Rap groups, then 80's split into metal bands of many assorts inspired by prog, but also created a lot of Synth Pop, and the cult bands at the time were doing the jangly Marr stuff. 90's had a massive wave of mainstream grunge, you know, Cobain. As for the 00's... It's hard to really define a genre... Perhaps the pop music that we know now? We can't even say that we're the indie generation because there aren't any "Iconic" anthems by indie bands.. You know, otherwise they wouldn't be Indie.

I know bands like Foo Fighters and Muse (whom I'm not really a fan of) have played really big sell-out gigs recently, I know that there's a lot Hip Hop music that's popular with people but I dunno about the size of their gigs.

Personally I don't think we have our iconic songs. Oh well.

In the UK, I'm sure this is true. But in America they're actually not that iconic. Though I fear they're starting to...

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
With all of this bullshit about "What is everyone gonna remember about this decade lololololol?" I feel like the Pit has turned into VH1.

Who cares? We'll find out when we're not still in the damn decade.
Seven Nation Army - The White Stripes
American Idiot - Green Day
Dani California - RHCP
Beautiful Day - U2
Chop Suey - System of a Down
Because we seperate... it ripples our reflections.
.snoitcelfer ruo selppir ti...etarepes ew esuaceB
Quote by archangels666
With all of this bullshit about "What is everyone gonna remember about this decade lololololol?" I feel like the Pit has turned into VH1.

Who cares? We'll find out when we're not still in the damn decade.

Only two more months dude, even if a new album came out, it would really be accepted as a 2010 thing by this point anyway. (From an economic pov it makes sense too)
Wasn't Me- Shaggy
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

dani california
bat country
feel good inc
viva la vida
drops of jupiter
all solid candidates, i believe.
-JBSwreckfest
All the Small Things

Anyone who says that they don't know at least one line of that song is lying.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
All the Small Things

Anyone who says that they don't know at least one line of that song is lying.

90's?
Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Speakers
i believe in a thing called love- the darkness
seven nation army-the white stripes
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Quote by slash4114
Wasn't Me- Shaggy

it wasnt me
I even had her in the shower!
Page 1 of 4