i play in a church, and i am looking to mic an amp, but i need something that will be lower volume than my 60-watt hot rod deville.

before everyone gets all crazy, the amp will go in another room, and will be mic'd. my amp will be in the mix with 5-10 horns, piano, organ, other guitars, drums, vocalists.... needless to say, i'm not going to be playing metal or anything like that, and i'm really not going to be standing out very often.

i am looking to get something that will give me a warm, tube sound (for clean and overdriven tones, with the OD from pedals), and at a lower volume (although a 5W amp is only 40% less loud than a 60W). i need the least amount of volume with a good warmth (without buying a kit).

i have been looking at 3 amps: the fender champ 600, the peavey valveking royal 8, and the gretsch electromatic G5222

the gretsch and fender look about the same. the peavey has a gain and tone knob which is nice, but i wont be adjusting either during the set. all sound changes will need to come from effects. it looks like the fender has a big following and a lot of documented mods, which i am not scared of trying (at least the easy ones).

anyone have any suggestions? i am looking at these 3 amps only (for some reason, you can ask people on this forum to help you choose between 2 or 3 things, and you'll get 9 suggestions for stuff not on your list).
Epiphone Valve Jr?

Although i'm sure someone will come along with a better suggestion

EDIT: I don't know much about those 3 you're looking at but I hear good things about the Fender
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Oct 21, 2009,
The VoxAC 4 isn't 5 watts, but 4 is pretty damn close. It gives me a great smooth overdrive through my strat, and the cleans are to die for.
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
blackheart ht-5

You mean the Blackheart BH5H Little Giant?

Its a good tube amp that takes effect pedals very well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i never ran across the Vox AC4TV. that looks like a pretty sweet amp.

i like the ability to switch down to 1W or .25W. can you get a decent distortion out of it with a tubescreamer?
Quote by AxSilentxLine
He doesn't really want a lot of gain

Yeah, a Blackstar HT-5 wouldn't be right, but a Blackheart Little Giant would fit the bill.
the blackheart is too much money. hell, the bulgera 5 watt is on sale for $100 at one of the music sites. that's almost worth compromising some tone for something that cheap.

i'd like to stay in the $150 range, but that vox looks nice too.
Quote by Sir Anonymous
Yeah, a Blackstar HT-5 wouldn't be right, but a Blackheart Little Giant would fit the bill.

Yeah i've heard good things about the Blackheart range but never tried them because they looked "gimmicky" guess I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover lol
Quote by cornercuttin
i am looking to get something that will give me a warm, tube sound (for clean and overdriven tones, with the OD from pedals), and at a lower volume (although a 5W amp is only 40% less loud than a 60W). i need the least amount of volume with a good warmth (without buying a kit).

If you want the least amount of volume have a look at the Vox AC4, it's switchable from 4 to 1 to 1/4 watt when you need it. Sounds great clean and if you can crank it it has nice OD, takes pedals well as well. And on top of that it has a 10" speaker which should sound a lot fuller than a 6" or an 8". Sorry for suggesting something else but it fits what you're looking for.
i think you guys are right about the vox. it's $250, but it might be worth getting. it seems like a sweet amp, and i haven't read a bad review of it.

thanks for the advice. now i just need to convince the wife to let me spend $100 more than planned.
My vote easily goes to the AC4TV. Best cheap tube amp I've played for cleans. I wasn't a fan of the loose OD, but with the help of a pedal like the tube screamer I'm sure it'll tighten up to a very good drive.

Just a side note, if you're a fan of Fender, check your local used market (newpaper ads, craigslist) and see if you can get a Blues Jr. I've found them (somehow, someway) in the under $300 range occationally on there. To comment on the Blackheart, I use one to play at church as well and I'm more than happy with it. You can get one used for the same price as a Vox AC4TV, and personally I find it to be more versatile than the Vox.

Without pedal help, I find the Blackheart to be more of the jack of all trades, master of one (nice thick distortion), while the Vox is more of a one-trick pony (great cleans/slight dirt).
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
My vote easily goes to the AC4TV. Best cheap tube amp I've played for cleans. I wasn't a fan of the loose OD, but with the help of a pedal like the tube screamer I'm sure it'll tighten up to a very good drive.

Just a side note, if you're a fan of Fender, check your local used market (newpaper ads, craigslist) and see if you can get a Blues Jr. I've found them (somehow, someway) in the under $300 range occationally on there. To comment on the Blackheart, I use one to play at church as well and I'm more than happy with it. You can get one used for the same price as a Vox AC4TV, and personally I find it to be more versatile than the Vox.

Without pedal help, I find the Blackheart to be more of the jack of all trades, master of one (nice thick distortion), while the Vox is more of a one-trick pony (great cleans/slight dirt).
I actually found the Vox great for heavy stuff like Maiden. Cranking the low-wattage channel provided quite a convincing metal tone. But then again, I don't play metal, what do I know?

I'd go for the AC4, or if your wife doesn't let you, go for the Bugera V5.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Vox ac4 is the best out of those.
Bugera V5 is nice also, much cheaper, but a bit darker and less chimey

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
My Betterhalf indulged me this Christmas with a Fender Champion 600. Clean is amazing. Not all that crazy about cranked but at about a 9..it sings for blues and jazz. Very responsive to your playing and GC was selling them for 100 bucks over the holidays. Just a thought that I didn't see in the thread
Beach Hound

"Time Well Wasted..."BP
FYI, the Gretsch and the Champ have exactly the same circuit.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Sir Anonymous

yes yes. for some reason i always get blackheart and blackstar mixed up. i knew it wsa a mini stack tho. 5 watts. should do great for what you need