Page 1 of 8
tancanada
crapcore
2,467 IQ
Searchbarred, no results
http://www.myspace.com/ofmice
Some of you might recognize the screamers voice...
Personally I think this might be one of the best post-hardcore acts out there at the moment, theyre pretty damn talented at what they do. Austin's screams are completely unique, Jaxin does great vocals and the guitars are pretty swooping in some of their songs. Discussssss
love is love // return to dust
Okeefe Is Legit
1,415 IQ
Was one of the first to add them on myspace
and the first person to upload 2000 miles and for what? onto mediafire.

/pretentious douchebaggery

The stickam show they did a few months back proves they're going to be a shitload better than attack attack. Looking forward to seeing them on the Atticus tour.
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
how can you say that guys scream is even remotely unique? this band blows just as much as attack attack if not more. swooping guitar? i kind of get what you are saying but many bands have done this and do this a thousand times better. this band is far from talented
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Valderama
CxC
1,315 IQ
I think Austin is such a good guy, and a talented screamer.
I shall be keeping a close eye on this band, i like them alot.

edit: I predict that this thread will turn into a discussion where bored / lonely people start bashing AA!

heh.
Last edited by Valderama at Oct 22, 2009,
tancanada
crapcore
2,467 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
how can you say that guys scream is even remotely unique? this band blows just as much as attack attack if not more. swooping guitar? i kind of get what you are saying but many bands have done this and do this a thousand times better. this band is far from talented

Austins screams are impossible to imitate, just ask anyone who screams. And they have nice guitar lines, just go listen to YGD?!, there's a solo or two
love is love // return to dust
Valderama
CxC
1,315 IQ
Quote by Manos15
Oh wow a band named after a book who does an ironic cover of a pop song. How original . . .

Who else matches this description?
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
Quote by tancanada
Austins screams are impossible to imitate, just ask anyone who screams. And they have nice guitar lines, just go listen to YGD?!, there's a solo or two

well i just asked the vocalist of my band and he says that scream has been used for years and it has been. im going to listen to one of their songs so i can show you why this band sucks.

the first thing i thought when i heard his scream was a less ballsy poison the well type scream. and countless other bands. I don't know what else to say. if you honestly think his scream is unique, you are retarded. not to mention the enormous amounts of compression and distortion you can tell were used on his vocals.

now onto the song. seven thousand miles or whatever. it starts off with a lame very uninteresting intervallic synth part. Then a breakdown comes in at an ENTIRELY different tempo with no warning. that is just bad song writing. not to mention of course the breakdown is generic as shit. the we hear the same boring heard it a million times before two step riff over some more terrible vocals with massive amounts of reverb this time. then we get an underoath chorus thing but you can't even hear the guitars this song is mixed so terribly. then we get that stupid breakdown with the half step dissonances that i swear is an underoath riff. oh thats another thing. the vocalist also sounds like a weaker underoath vocalist. then we get an interlude that again hauntingly reminds me of underoath and when the double bass kicks in i just laughed at how terrible it sounded. then the song ends with another generic breakdown. i see absolutely nothing notable about any of the guitar playing

i can't even believe i listened to that whole thing it was terrible haha. I don't get how people still like this music. don't you feel like you've heard the same thing a million times?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
-tempest-
hi, my name is matt.
751 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
*tl;dr this band sucks*

this. the breakdown after the synth intro was soo bad. the transition was painful to listen to.
Valderama
CxC
1,315 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
*wall of text that few people will read*

I'm not going to attack your opinion about it, but when you were talking about the song-writing, you are basing the judgements you make about it on YOUR own morals of what songwriting should comprise / sound like. Who cares if theres no "warning" before a tempo change, it doesn't matter, IMO, it's pointless having a go at a bands songwriting; if THEY (by they, I mean those who wrote the song) thought a transition or a tempo change or the start of a new section was bad then im sure they wouldnt keep it in the song, it's all about artistic license.

As for "do we ever get bored of hearing the same things?" - No, never. Ever.
It's as if you want every band in the world to scour the music industry, looking for a band they are very similar to just so they can find a way to differ themselves from the other band. If i hear a riff that sounds similar to another band / song, I just think "cool, that sounds similar to another band I like." Its impossible to be totally unique, so instead of trying to escape "genericness" just embrace it.
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Well, you don't have to be unique..but when I can guess the general outline of the song before I listen to any of it something is wrong. And I don't mean the simple verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus, I mean: breakdown - 2step - clean sung chorus - smaller breakdown - 2step - solo? lol usually not - end br00tal breakdown
Valderama
CxC
1,315 IQ
Quote by technicolour
Well, you don't have to be unique..but when I can guess the general outline of the song before I listen to any of it something is wrong. And I don't mean the simple verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus, I mean: breakdown - 2step - clean sung chorus - smaller breakdown - 2step - solo? lol usually not - end br00tal breakdown

Well it's possible to guess the outline of a song in 95% of all genres of music, it's unavoidable, and I dont think there's anything wrong with that.
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
Quote by Valderama
I'm not going to attack your opinion about it, but when you were talking about the song-writing, you are basing the judgements you make about it on YOUR own morals of what songwriting should comprise / sound like. Who cares if theres no "warning" before a tempo change, it doesn't matter, IMO, it's pointless having a go at a bands songwriting; if THEY (by they, I mean those who wrote the song) thought a transition or a tempo change or the start of a new section was bad then im sure they wouldnt keep it in the song, it's all about artistic license.

As for "do we ever get bored of hearing the same things?" - No, never. Ever.
It's as if you want every band in the world to scour the music industry, looking for a band they are very similar to just so they can find a way to differ themselves from the other band. If i hear a riff that sounds similar to another band / song, I just think "cool, that sounds similar to another band I like." Its impossible to be totally unique, so instead of trying to escape "genericness" just embrace it.

that is not an opinion. you can't just do that in a song. it shows that you have little concept of musicianship and how the flow of music goes. Im sure they didn't say "hey guys we know you aren't supposed to do this here but we are going to doing it anyway" it was more along the lines of "lets make this breakdown slow!" without any regards to the previous tempo. guaranteed they didn't even know that did it.

I get the same argument from you people all the time. you always fail to acknowledge the trends that bands like these are following that will be gone in a years tops. Yes it is impossible to be totally unique. but this band, for one thing, sounds exactly like attack attack, and numerous other "synth-core" shit bands. Its one thing to copy something legitimate, but those bands and genres are not because they are all about the image and the money and not the music. If they were about the music, they would focus less on what their myspace page looks like and how their songs are written.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Valderama
CxC
1,315 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
that is not an opinion. you can't just do that in a song. it shows that you have little concept of musicianship and how the flow of music goes. Im sure they didn't say "hey guys we know you aren't supposed to do this here but we are going to doing it anyway" it was more along the lines of "lets make this breakdown slow!" without any regards to the previous tempo. guaranteed they didn't even know that did it.

I get the same argument from you people all the time. you always fail to acknowledge the trends that bands like these are following that will be gone in a years tops. Yes it is impossible to be totally unique. but this band, for one thing, sounds exactly like attack attack, and numerous other "synth-core" shit bands. Its one thing to copy something legitimate, but those bands and genres are not because they are all about the image and the money and not the music. If they were about the music, they would focus less on what their myspace page looks like and how their songs are written.

Sorry but, yes, it is an opinion. There is no correct way of writing a song. To even try and enforce that is quite narrow-minded.

Lets look at it from the other end of the spectrum; let's take a "True Hardcore" band, think of whichever one you want, i can guarantee they use the same chord progressions, same vocal style and same song structures as numerous other bands in the genre / sub-genre.
I know exactly what trends bands like that are following, is it wrong for people to enjoy those trends, merely because you think they wont last a certain amount of time? Trends aren't supposed to be permanent anyway, otherwise they will cease to be trends, they will simply become protocol (until their inevitable end).

You can't possibly say that all bands like that are in it for the money or whatever. It's quite simple; with fame / popularity, comes money. You are acting like it's taboo to even mention money, for fear of being considered "sell-outs" or "not as cool as Converge" among Hardcore fans.

Eugh, you've complained about the Myspace page before; so wierd.
It doesnt make sense, they are two separate things. It takes 5 minutes to create a myspace layout, it's not like the two things coincide
"Hey dude, shall we finish writing that song for the next 3 hours?"
"Nah, im going to change our myspace layout for 3 hours, cya!"
Besides, Myspace is a bands primary form of self-promotion, it's done nothing but good things for the music-industry.
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
There is no correct way of writing a song but there are many things that make a trained musician's ear go "ouch". whether it is right or wrong or it doesn't matter, that isn't something a musician would do.

Do I have to again put this out there? I thought i said this enough in the last attack attack thread. Yes hardcore is mostly the same. But it has been around for 20+ years and is still alive and kicking. Bands like these capitalize on the things that kids like to hear nowadays, like breakdowns, and water the music down so it is accessible to anyone. That is why it angers us. Not only is the music, if you can call it that, terribly written, but the motives behind it are stupid. Hardcore isn't about how many breakdowns you can have or how many scene chicks you can get to love your band by playing the most trance sing along parts.

No self respecting musician would write music like that and not be doing it on purpose, to make money. If they are actually amazing but writing music like this to get popular and make money, all the more power to them but that is not the case. they are writing terrible music that follows trends. you act like there is nothing wrong with following a trend. The reason its called a trend because it dies out. why would you want to dedicate yourself to something that is fake and temporary? The only reason would be to make money and get bitches.

i really don't know what else to say. i've told you all this a thousand times already and you still don't get it. If you really can't tell that this band cares more about their image then their music i don't know what to say. you just don't get it yet.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
The Spoon
You can't bend The Spoon
1,452 IQ
I like his scream. It's not like i'd be able to recognize him if i were to hear it somewhere though.

This band definately kicks AA's ass, but that's not that hard to do.

It's catchy. I would rather hear kids listening and obsessing over this band than AA. That's understandable at least.

But I SWEAR i thought it was a cover of a song the first 30 seconds. Not trying to bring them down, but that's exactly what i thought.
Last edited by The Spoon at Oct 22, 2009,
Valderama
CxC
1,315 IQ
It's not that I don't get it (which you pointed out multiple times lol).

I just view it differently.

Stop being afraid of popular stuff.
PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Bookstore Core
1,107 IQ
Book genuinely made me cry. This band also came close. Not in the same way.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
MustangMan311
Cody
2,113 IQ
Quote by Valderama

Stop being afraid of popular stuff.

While there's a lot of this going on in the hardcore forum, where people are afraid to like anyone who's remotely successful and have a young fanbase, with this band, that is simply not the issue.
Lappo
High Inquisitor
740 IQ
John Steinbeck is cursing in his grave right now.
breakdown123
Hates his user name
892 IQ
They sound interesting, but im saving my opinion til i hear more stuff. Im not going to judge them off some shitty quality live videos, and like 2 demoes.
Okeefe Is Legit
1,415 IQ
Quote by Lappo
John Steinbeck is cursing in his grave right now.

For all you know he could have enjoyed this band, which makes the whole "in their grave" saying retarded.

and if you guys haven't noticed, the beginning synths is the main melody in "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga.

And Pmeg, if you think that was a strange transition, you obviously don't have a trained ear. A trained ear has the ability to easily adapt to different styles/approaches to music. For once, I wholeheartedly agree with Valderama.
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit

and if you guys haven't noticed, the beginning synths is the main melody in "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga.

I thought I heard that somewhere before.
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
For all you know he could have enjoyed this band, which makes the whole "in their grave" saying retarded.

And Pmeg, if you think that was a strange transition, you obviously don't have a trained ear. A trained ear has the ability to easily adapt to different styles/approaches to music. For once, I wholeheartedly agree with Valderama.

lol ok i dont have a trained ear sure. if you honestly think that transition is fine and normal you are the one without a trained ear. you cannot just change tempo without anything leading toward it. no drum fill, guitar fill, or vocal idea was present, and the tempo takes a measure or 2 to actually settle in once you realize what they are trying to do. stop trying to defend this band by saying they approach music differently because they obviously don't. saying that would be saying this band is innovative, unique, and knew what they were doing, which is obviously not the idea. Again i don't know what else to say, you people really just don't see it. It just sounds like they needed a slower breakdown or it wouldn't be heavy so they just played it slower.

my ear is trained to adapt to many styles of music. i just don't consider this style of music "music". because its just a bunch of cliches thrown together for the pop culture.

and no i haven't noticed, sorry i don't listen to lady gaga, why the hell would i?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Girvo
21 IQ
They remind me of Poison The Well, with more synth, except shit.
catalyst329
157 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
There is no correct way of writing a song but there are many things that make a trained musician's ear go "ouch". whether it is right or wrong or it doesn't matter, that isn't something a musician would do.

Do I have to again put this out there? I thought i said this enough in the last attack attack thread. Yes hardcore is mostly the same. But it has been around for 20+ years and is still alive and kicking. Bands like these capitalize on the things that kids like to hear nowadays, like breakdowns, and water the music down so it is accessible to anyone. That is why it angers us. Not only is the music, if you can call it that, terribly written, but the motives behind it are stupid. Hardcore isn't about how many breakdowns you can have or how many scene chicks you can get to love your band by playing the most trance sing along parts.

No self respecting musician would write music like that and not be doing it on purpose, to make money. If they are actually amazing but writing music like this to get popular and make money, all the more power to them but that is not the case. they are writing terrible music that follows trends. you act like there is nothing wrong with following a trend. The reason its called a trend because it dies out. why would you want to dedicate yourself to something that is fake and temporary? The only reason would be to make money and get bitches.

i really don't know what else to say. i've told you all this a thousand times already and you still don't get it. If you really can't tell that this band cares more about their image then their music i don't know what to say. you just don't get it yet.

I really doubt that if they were seriously all about making money they would end up in the music industry... especially in a hardcore band
Okeefe Is Legit
1,415 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
lol ok i dont have a trained ear sure. if you honestly think that transition is fine and normal you are the one without a trained ear. you cannot just change tempo without anything leading toward it. no drum fill, guitar fill, or vocal idea was present, and the tempo takes a measure or 2 to actually settle in once you realize what they are trying to do. stop trying to defend this band by saying they approach music differently because they obviously don't. saying that would be saying this band is innovative, unique, and knew what they were doing, which is obviously not the idea. Again i don't know what else to say, you people really just don't see it. It just sounds like they needed a slower breakdown or it wouldn't be heavy so they just played it slower.

my ear is trained to adapt to many styles of music. i just don't consider this style of music "music". because its just a bunch of cliches thrown together for the pop culture.

and no i haven't noticed, sorry i don't listen to lady gaga, why the hell would i?

Of course the transition wasn't traditional, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that because I've been exposed to a wide array of music I found it easier to accept what they were trying to do.

And just because they don't know the technicality behind music means whatever they create doesn't sound good? Have you ever heard of Wes Montgomery, one of the greatest jazz guitarists ever?

And the Lady Gaga thing was more directed to the post that said it sounded familiar. To be honest though, you seriously must live under a rock if it doesn't at least sound familiar to you.
Girvo
21 IQ
The transition to the breakdown is nothing. It wasn't even bad at all to be honest, I liked it. The rest of the song was bland and unoriginal to be honest.
pmeg568c
UG Spammer
5,502 IQ
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Of course the transition wasn't traditional, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that because I've been exposed to a wide array of music I found it easier to accept what they were trying to do.

And just because they don't know the technicality behind music means whatever they create doesn't sound good? Have you ever heard of Wes Montgomery, one of the greatest jazz guitarists ever?

And the Lady Gaga thing was more directed to the post that said it sounded familiar. To be honest though, you seriously must live under a rock if it doesn't at least sound familiar to you.

dude i study jazz at college. I listen to a wide array of music but i have no need to listen to this because there is nothing interesting about it. Im sure there is plenty of music that you dont accept because you just don't get it, but i dont accept this music because it is quite obvious in my eyes just a mash up of cliches.

you obviously find it easier to accept because you like the band, not because you are exposed to more. Im pretty sure that being older than you and studying music in college i have most probably been exposed to more music than you. and i still see nothing in this music.

anyways, the transition, which isn't even there at all, just shows laziness. I dare you to find a talented musician who would do anything remotely similar to that.

and no i dont live under a rock, i just don't listen to the radio. why would i? i don't like pop music.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Last edited by pmeg568c at Oct 22, 2009,
Okeefe Is Legit
1,415 IQ
Quote by pmeg568c
dude i study jazz at college. I listen to a wide array of music but i have no need to listen to this because there is nothing interesting about it. Im sure there is plenty of music that you dont accept because you just don't get it, but i dont accept this music because it is quite obvious in my eyes just a mash up of cliches.

you obviously find it easier to accept because you like the band, not because you are exposed to more. Im pretty sure that being older than you and studying music in college i have most probably been exposed to more music than you. and i still see nothing in this music.

anyways, the transition, which isn't even there at all, just shows laziness. I dare you to find a talented musician who would do anything remotely similar to that.

and no i dont live under a rock, i just don't listen to the radio. why would i? i don't like pop music.

I've just been in an argumentative mood today and was playing the devil's advocate, so don't really take what I mean personally. I'm just kind of sick of people thinking just because they're generic, they aren't talented.
And really, I don't listen to the radio either, but the media's in everyone's lives too much to not pick up on pop music.
Girvo
21 IQ
Hey guess what people. Music is subjective. Who would've thunk-it?

*rolls eyes
Kyle<3
PANDY POWAR
706 IQ
Listening to their songs I really felt like I had heard them before... even though I hadn't.
nashawa
Rightful HxC Emperor
1,511 IQ
Quote by Valderama
Well it's possible to guess the outline of a song in 95% of all genres of music, it's unavoidable, and I dont think there's anything wrong with that.

Are you serious?
Man you've got to start listening to some new music...
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Lappo
High Inquisitor
740 IQ
Quote by Okeefe Is Legit
Devil's Advocate: of course I am. The guy's dead. You don't know what his train of thought would be right now if he were alive.
I know with 100% certainty that, were he alive, John Steinbeck would find this band's tour bus and blow an enormous load inside that would fill the entire space, drowning them.

Or alternatively, blow a stream so pressurized it would pierce their skulls like a harpoon made of diamonds.
Last edited by Lappo at Oct 23, 2009,