Alright... So, I'm playing a Traben out of a Hartke head and cab. I can't get the sound I want for the life of me. Something beefy and punchy. I'm takin' a look at one of "thefitz's" blogs, and learning a little bit about exactly what frequency does what. My question, though, is - let's say I want to cut out the mud. He says the frequencies for that are between 150hz and 350hz. On my amp, the only frequency in that range is 250hz. So, do I cut that to effectively drop the mud? Essentially, what I want to know is if I don't have control over the exact frequencies, will raising or lowering one within the range do the same thing?
Quote by hardercorecory
I don't have control over the exact frequencies, will raising or lowering one within the range do the same thing?

Yes, not as accurately as having the exact frequencies but it will still have the same basic effect on the sound.
I cut 400 and it cuts my mud pretty well. 250 will probably do the trick for you
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I believe it's best to cut at about 160-240, to be exact.

I'm an avid believer in the 31 band graphic EQ myself. nothing has the refined perfection of that. and, if combined with a really simple head, you can use the head to make slight variations on your tone on the fly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Revelation
I cut 400 and it cuts my mud pretty well. 250 will probably do the trick for you

me too, 400-500hz is where the woofiness sits, 250hz is mud
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
lol thats complete oposite from my ampeg sound i normally boost those lol!

best advice i can give you is have your buddy play your bass on your rig while you move the dials around as he/she plays it will help you get familier with your controls faster then having to operate both the bass and the amp
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
^never tried an SvP, it might be different type of beast
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Different equipment will lead to different things.

Try cutting some bass along with freqs around 160-250 also if your eq goes up this far try cutting around 6Khz as well i find this helps.
Also boost your bridge pickup and some bass on your bass.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by the humanity
I believe it's best to cut at about 160-240, to be exact.

I'm an avid believer in the 31 band graphic EQ myself. nothing has the refined perfection of that. and, if combined with a really simple head, you can use the head to make slight variations on your tone on the fly.

i didnt even know that existed until you just said it and i googled it.

thats a ****ton of tone control!! i want one..
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by TheTortured
i didnt even know that existed until you just said it and i googled it.

thats a ****ton of tone control!! i want one..

macs have a 31 band EQ built in, I love it.

I tried a used one, don't remember the name, and I loved it
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Emergancy Exit

best advice i can give you is have your buddy play your bass on your rig while you move the dials around as he/she plays it will help you get familier with your controls faster then having to operate both the bass and the amp

Correct, the 'Ampeg tone' does not sit well with me so i go for the 'Trace-Elliot tone'

So much fatter and punchier
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Quote by Emergancy Exit

The only problem with that is if their fingers are very different. If I play and then somebody else plays, you can hear a huge difference in how it sounds.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by hardercorecory
"thefitz's" blogs

Anyone else starting to miss fitzy? I mean he was kind of a jerk, but it just isn't the same without him, you know?
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by kugelspot
Anyone else starting to miss fitzy? I mean he was kind of a jerk, but it just isn't the same without him, you know?

still talk to him myself.

friend lists ftw.

and he kept the forum scared of writing stupid stuff. so far, there hasn't been much of a difference. we're too used to him being here...

hardcorecory hasn't posted much, I don't think he has read this yet...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by Double Basser
Correct, the 'Ampeg tone' does not sit well with me so i go for the 'Trace-Elliot tone'

So much fatter and punchier

It's a real shame that since the Peavey buyout they've gone downhill - I played a seriously old 4x10 12-band combo the other day - must have been pushing 20-ish - so wonderful to play.

But yeah, nothing's compared to the Markbass stuff I've played. Shame really, it'll be years until I afford any of it.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.