I wanna get my peavey xxx to sound more like a beast than it already does.. i mean it's good right now but i dunno i can only explain being generic.. if that makes sense. i really want to get a tighter huge sound out of it so should i..

pick up a maxon 808? a pod?

I play prog/metalcore and use a vader 4x12.
You should grab yourself a DigiTech Bad Monkey - its horrible when used as a stand alone OD but it really makes a great boost and is much cheaper than the Maxon or an Ibanez tubescreamer.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
You should grab yourself a DigiTech Bad Monkey - its horrible when used as a stand alone OD but it really makes a great boost and is much cheaper than the Maxon or an Ibanez tubescreamer.

He might need something else.... the Bad Monkey will tighten things up alright... but it won't make it sound huge.

TS, can I confirm what you mean by "huge". From my experience with the XXX, its got more emphasis treble and higher-mid frequencies, and I feel that it could do with more bass thump and response. When you say huge, are you referring to the bass?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
He might need something else.... the Bad Monkey will tighten things up alright... but it won't make it sound huge.

TS, can I confirm what you mean by "huge". From my experience with the XXX, its got more emphasis treble and higher-mid frequencies, and I feel that it could do with more bass thump and response. When you say huge, are you referring to the bass?

I know the whole "OD and EQ" thing is way overused here and isn't the answer to every question.

However I think a Bad Monkey to use as a boost and an EQ such as the Dano Fish and Chips or a used MXR would do wonders in this situation - cut the mids and highs a little bit and boost the lows a bit (if the TS is actually after a bassier tone).
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I know the whole "OD and EQ" thing is way overused here and isn't the answer to every question.

However I think a Bad Monkey to use as a boost and an EQ such as the Dano Fish and Chips or a used MXR would do wonders in this situation - cut the mids and highs a little bit and boost the lows a bit (if the TS is actually after a bassier tone).

An EQ should work.

An alternative is to run a chorus to fatten up the sound. Although it'd depend on what he means by huge.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Haven't had an issues with mine. You might just want to work on your eq'ing a bit more.

+1

I have never felt like I needed to boost mine But if you're looking into an OD pedal...the best thing is to go try a few out. Not everybody is looking for the same type of boost.