So despite lots of experimentation with mic placement, tone/gain adjustments, and whatnot, I just can't seem to get the right recorded guitar tone for metal. It's really beginning to baffle me, because many people seem to be able to get awesome recordings out of simple set-ups like mine, so at this point, I'm pretty much solely beginning to blame my technique. I'm very eager to learn better ways, but it seems like every guide I've found just leads to more questions on things.

So, what I'm doing to do, is tell you what I've been doing, and then ask what you guys have been doing to get those nice, heavy guitar tracks.

- Anything I have recorded on my page was done with a single SM57
- I tend to angle the mic at a 30-45 degree angle downwards, with the end pointing about 2/3 up from the center of the speaker cone.
- I usually place it either an inch away from the grille, or right up against it depending how loud the amp volume is
- I leave my amp gain slightly less than half-way up
- I use an OD pedal with the level cranked up most of the way, and barely any gain added at all.
- Everything is double tracked, and I try to use less gain, as this supposedly makes everything sound better.
- Any attempt to use a room sound mic with the 57 has resulted in excessively bright, harsh tracks (unless I'm doing it wrong)

I feel most of my efforts result in tracks that are either too dull, or too harsh sounding. And a lot of the time, they sound pretty thin (although I suppose one of my better attempts is shown on my profile). But part of me feels like I have the right idea, and that I just need some pointers.

All help is greatly appreciated!
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quick palm mute demo (re-record) sounds pretty decent to me, what kind of tone are you going for.. that might help with the suggestions
Well, production-wise, two albums that always keep me coming back to listen to for ideas are the Fall of Ideals from All That Remains (Very crisp, but really heavy sounding), or the debut album from Avenged Sevenfold (The guitars sound so massive, yet the bass is still distinct, and clearly heard).

Musically speaking, I enjoy those bands, along with stuff like Children of Bodom, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At the Gates, Kalmah, etc, along w/most of the classic bands, and some other newer bands.

But I think the above description is the best way to describe the kind of produced sound I'm going for. Maybe some songs can be found on youtube?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

How loud was the amp when you recorded?

Have you tried doing it with slightly more gain, because i think it could use a little more, not like this will help it sound more 'alive' just i think the tone generally needs just a touch more gain.
The amp master volume was at a little over 1/4 of the way up when I recorded, which is already pretty damn loud, lol.

CatharsisStudio: What is re-amping? And I've yet to find an amp VST I truly like, but I guess I'm not completely opposed to the idea (Though I would rather improve my micing technique). Is the VST route one you suggest because of my novice skill level at micing an amp? or because of the gear I'm using?
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

I see.
Well, if gear is the issue, would you say it's the interface I'm using? (PreSonus Inspire). Even people with expensive gear seem to use SM57's, so I've actually been looking into the possibility of some kind of better interface/pre-amp in the not too distant future if that's another answer.

Do some of the mid-end interfaces? (Like the Profire or Firestudio tube) actually have better pre-amps in them? Or are they just like bigger versions of a basic unit like the Inspire? (So that you can mic a drummer/more stuff).
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60