This is my A-Level media project. I'm doing a magazine and have chosen to do a Guitar Magazine, just to make it a little more entertaining for myself.

Is there any way I can improve my front cover mockup? Anything i've missed out or should take out?
Thank you dearest Pitmonkeys.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Looks pretty good to me.

EDIT: perhaps a bit more colour?

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
More color, but other than that its pretty cool.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I'll shift around the stars and top bar. I'm doing a few covers so I'll vary colour styles around them, thanks.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
i think you should do a back cover too and put the barcode there, as it looks pretty crap on the front imo

Any better?

EDIT: Just noticed some text is the wrong colour. Let me sort that.
EDIT 2: Fixed.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Oct 22, 2009,
to spread out,
try pushing the writing up and add a pic or something at the bottom
More color, and make sure headlines are seperated from info, such as

How To Play:
Still Unbroken

Make the headlined things bigger than the text underneath it. EG Try making the 'How To Play' Red, or a different font that pops out more. And then have something different for 'Still Unbroken' if ya get what I mean.
Quote by Durell, spelt like Derrell but pronounced Durell
Can I get yo beautiful ass numba?
I don't really care for the star by the This Month... Also, Have you tried having This Month on one line? Possibly in a bolder font? I would probably do the same with each of the other sections as well. Colored text would also probably be great addition. Also for the text, maybe a simple like 1px black outline on all of the body text so the background doesnt interefere with it?

My ideas are all simple and I'm sure you've tried them, but oh well.
The title looks awkward?
That was my favourite part..

My final magazine won't look like this. I'm focusing on my layout rather than my background image. I have to use an image I took myself and not one from the interwebz. Which that is.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
I did a metal mag for my a-level magazine, aaah the memories
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
The text on the left should go a bit more down maybe.
In the beginning it wasn't aligned too well; but you raised, I suggest dropping it a little bit.
Although that would depend on your ruler and guide lines, if you did it in Illustrator or Photoshop?
Also, a bit of colour would be suitable, not too much though.
Quote by EmancipatedSoul
The text on the left should go a bit more down maybe.
In the beginning it wasn't aligned too well; but you raised, I suggest dropping it a little bit.
Although that would depend on your ruler and guide lines, if you did it in Illustrator or Photoshop?
Also, a bit of colour would be suitable, not too much though.

He'll be using Adobe InDesign I imagine, that's what we used in a-levels and now use in Uni for magazine production
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Will try and upload the .psd file if anyone wants to have a play with it.
Thanks a ton for your feedback guys, i'm working with all your ideas, you've been a great help

EDIT:
I'm using Photoshop CS3
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Last edited by Vauxite at Oct 22, 2009,
it looks really nice, and I see that youre going for the simple look, but the thing with guitar magazines is they display a lot of stuff to attract readers so maybe.
and yeah, i think the whole black and white thing is too..plain for a magazine.
Quote by Le_Bunny

But yeah InDesign would probably be more useful with a project like this.

Yeah it's odd they'd make you use photoshop. We just used Photoshop to treat/trim images.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by Gregoric
Yeah it's odd they'd make you use photoshop. We just used Photoshop to treat/trim images.

Every institute has their preferences.
We're using Illustrator and Freehand.
Although InDesign would probably be a more useful tool.
Look at your own guitar magazines?

There should be text, like everywhere. The font you have right now is too big. Add some pictures of the main article (i.e. if it's Gn'R, stick a picture of them). Have some circles or boxes to make the most important parts stand out, basically you want someone just skimming through all the billions of guitar magazines to see what you want them to see.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!