I just learned all the individual parts of the first solo of Overture 1928 by Dream Theater (i split it into 3 parts) to about 85% speed. I can play these parts cleanly by themselves, but when I put them together, I can't transition from part to part smoothly and as a result the solo becomes sloppy. Now, I have to practice the whole solo slowly to get it smooth, which is sort of like re-learning the damn thing again.

Is there any faster way to learn a solo?
Quote by Timothongz
I just learned all the individual parts of the first solo of Overture 1928 by Dream Theater (i split it into 3 parts) to about 85% speed. I can play these parts cleanly by themselves, but when I put them together, I can't transition from part to part smoothly and as a result the solo becomes sloppy. Now, I have to practice the whole solo slowly to get it smooth, which is sort of like re-learning the damn thing again.

Is there any faster way to learn a solo?

its also the method that petrucci said in his DVD no ? to break the parts then connect it .. but ur connecting them slowly, what i mean is --if theres 3 part, play part 1 2 then connect it smoothly.then add the 3rd part. so that u also enjoy playing.dont make 8 /9 parts and forgot to connect , coz u need to make it smooth as well. so play parts , but connect as soon as u just finished 2 .makes the time real short. cheers
Patience. If I were you I would listen to what Petrucci exactly does at those transitions. Don't just listen, think of it as seeing him or yourself play it in your head, know what I mean?

Then just forget about those three parts that you can play, just focus on the notes in between.

Good luck!
solo means understanding about improvisations, if you want play fast solo your way is right, play slowly first but accurate and then speed.. remember to always use metronome. Watch Paul Gilbert Guitar Lesson for better playing solo,,,