i want a distortion pedal. Ive been looking at some Boss ones, the DS1, the ML2 etc
im looking for a thrash kinda sound, master of puppets era that kinda thing,
this will also be my first pedal so i want one thats not too confusing to get the jist of,

wondering if you guys could reccomend one?

i have an esp ltd 10 that im looking to get some EMG's for and a 50w mg if that helps

cheers
DS1 is good for everything.

Boss DF2 is best for everything, though unlikely.

I say go for a DS1.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
DS1 is good for everything.

Can a DS 1 really do thrash?

If he has like $100 he could easily get a Barber Dirty Bomb or something and be way better off.

Also, inb4 get a new amp.
why'd you say a dirty bomb? i havent heard of them before ha

would it give me the tone im looking for, and if you say its for like $100,
i take it thats like £60?

which is how much is was looking to spend aswell..
Quote by AFarewellToArms
why'd you say a dirty bomb? i havent heard of them before ha

would it give me the tone im looking for, and if you say its for like $100,
i take it thats like £60?

which is how much is was looking to spend aswell..

Well it's a distortion pedal....and is pretty high gain.
Which i think is what you're looking for.

It's also pretty versatile and made by a good manufacturer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYGKodT7zY

It's $100 which is pretty damn good for how it sounds.
You'd have to find it locally or pay for shipping though.
No worries!

Although (and this is a routine warning)....it won't sound nearly as good through your amp as in that video. Tube amp vs.Marshall MG and all that.
dont get boss distortion pedals, they suck. i have a boss ds-1 and it sounds thin, trebley and doesn't have enough gain for metal.

get a digitech hardwire tl-2 metal distortion
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
dont get boss distortion pedals, they suck. i have a boss ds-1 and it sounds thin, trebley and doesn't have enough gain for metal.

get a digitech hardwire tl-2 metal distortion

i have a ds2 and it sounds brilliant. the way the pedal sounds depends on your other equipment. don't trash a whole brand because you don't like the sound of your one particular pedal through your particular equpiment.

That aside i wouldn't recommend a ds1 or ds2 for metal. although i don't play metal i hear the metal muff is pretty standard as a budget distortion pedal.
I tried all these pedals yesterday and they all could do thrash:

Hardwire TL-2
Sansamp GT-2
TC Electronic Nova Drive
Radial Tonebone Hot British
ML2 isn't bad for metal.
ESP LTD EX400
Epi Explorer
Peavey JSX
Egnater Cab
DD7;NS2;ML2;RC20XL;BCB60;FS6;PH3
ISP Decimator
KH Wah
Pocket POD
Simmons SD9K

Quote by TheBodomBullet

Thank you, you've all been very informative and helpful (except you Mr_CiNiC, f*ck you.)
Love you too, babe.
get a new amp

or get one of those AMT Legend Series pedals. They actually make an MG sound nice on the cean channel. I recommend R1 for thrash.
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Oct 22, 2009,
i'd check out tonerider. their chorus is really nice, and I've heard similar nice things about their distortion. though the lack of a mid knob might mean getting thrashy tones would be a bit harder. big problem being that a lot of the metal distortion pedals don't sound too great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If it's a Boss pedal you're after and only looking to spend around £60 you can get the Metal Zone (MT-2) for around £65-£75 I think, I had one a few years ago & paid that for it so it might be less now...

Pretty good pedal from what I remember though
Stock DS1 - meh, but cheap

Modded DS1 - yummy, especially if you DIY

Don't know if either would be heavy enough for you tho..
Heyy,
I've got both the DS-2 and the MT-2 (Yeahh everyone knocks the MT-2)
I've got both of those pedals to sound sweet through my amp, but it's all preference and it's all what kind of amp you have to.

I play my MT-2 and DS-2 through a Marshall AVT,
but today I took my MT-2 to college and stuck it on their Marshall tube, and yeahh, In a way it didn't sound too good at high gain, but when the gains turned down a little bit to about half way it sounded sweet,
so it just varies on what amp you have.
Quote by TubeAmp89
or get one of those AMT Legend Series pedals. They actually make an MG sound nice on the cean channel. I recommend R1 for thrash.

This is a good idea also.
Why is everyone picking on MT-2? I have it and I love it :P especially with my Pod
lulz...

if you insist on boss current production, atleast get an mt2 modded by rob keeley.
Quote by mpalin
Why is everyone picking on MT-2? I have it and I love it :P especially with my Pod

It's a terrible pedal. It's cld and lifeless. It sounds bad on all settings, although the parametric mid EQ is a cool idea. It just sounds digital and processed. There are tons of better pedals for the money, like he Digitech Hardwire TL2.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Boss distortion

Thin, trebly and fizzy like a swarm of giant angry bees...

Try a Blackstar Dual...or another with a real plate voltage tube in it.
In times past,when I was forced to use a 50 watt MG,I just ran my DS-2 out the front of the clean channel.Actually didn't sound that bad,and it's what I would do if I were in your situation.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.