Well I've been suffering from some problems regarding action on my guitar.

I've tried adjusting the truss rod, but it doesn't budge, so I tried clamping it down to make it easier to tighten. It didn't change much (as in, after I tightened it).

I even tried sticking two heaters by each side while clamping (only once though).

I've looked around on the net and apparently the most common way of fixing this is taking it to a luthier and planing the neck, which is pretty expensive.

Is there anything I can do to fix it by myself? I really love this guitar and the neck, my other guitars' necks just feel odd after I've played this one.
Should I just wait until I get enough money to fix it? It feels like it's getting worse by each day.

Cheers
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Ok, before messing with the trussrod anymore, what are the specific problems with your action?
Quote by AntiG3
I've tried adjusting the truss rod, but it doesn't budge, so I tried clamping it down to make it easier to tighten. It didn't change much (as in, after I tightened it).
Perhaps the threaded portion of the rod is rusted?

If you have access to the other end of the rod, you might be able to apply a penetrating lubricant. If not, your only other hope would to loosen the tension a good bit before attempting to tighten it. This might help chafe away some of the rust/corrosion rather than having it bind in the threads. Rotating only until it starts to bind, then backing off repeatedly, might allow you to gain enough rotation to increase the rod tension so it decreases the relief to the desired level.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What kind of guitar is it? Is it an acoustic or electric? If it's an electric, what kind of neck joint does it have (through/bolt-on/set-in)? What gauge strings are you using?

There's a good chance you can get it to adjust again by following SYK's instructions. When I do setups, I like to take off the truss rod nut entirely (if possible) and lubricate the threads to make sure it's easy to adjust in the future.

Hopefully you won't have to plane the fretboard. That's not easy to do well on your first try.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by Poster_Nutbag
Ok, before messing with the trussrod anymore, what are the specific problems with your action?
It's bowed. As in, too little action.

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Perhaps the threaded portion of the rod is rusted?

If you have access to the other end of the rod, you might be able to apply a penetrating lubricant. If not, your only other hope would to loosen the tension a good bit before attempting to tighten it. This might help chafe away some of the rust/corrosion rather than having it bind in the threads. Rotating only until it starts to bind, then backing off repeatedly, might allow you to gain enough rotation to increase the rod tension so it decreases the relief to the desired level.
Cheers, I'll try this once I get back from abroad.

Quote by GravyFish
What kind of guitar is it? Is it an acoustic or electric? If it's an electric, what kind of neck joint does it have (through/bolt-on/set-in)? What gauge strings are you using?

There's a good chance you can get it to adjust again by following SYK's instructions. When I do setups, I like to take off the truss rod nut entirely (if possible) and lubricate the threads to make sure it's easy to adjust in the future.

Hopefully you won't have to plane the fretboard. That's not easy to do well on your first try.
Ah sorry. It's a strat, so a bolt-on. The truss rod nut is located on the heel of the neck (might as well mention this). It's been like this since I got it, I used .009's back then, but now I changed to .011's, and that's most likely making it worse.

Also I wasn't going to plane it myself, for a job like that I'd get a professional to do it.
Last edited by AntiG3 at Oct 23, 2009,
wait, I think either you have some terms mixed up or else you're messing with something you shouldn't be messing with.

you realize that the saddles on the bridge are the main factor in setting the action (string height) and the truss rod is for getting the neck bow right (which MAY be able to help the action if you simply can not get it low without buzzing using the saddles)

to check your bend of the neck fret the first fret and below the last fret with big E string, pretty much making a straight edge from first to last fret, you can push your arm down on the string to fret the last one. and then check the height at the 7th fret. it should between .oo5 and .015 inches, or about the thickness of a playing card.

http://projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm

to adjust the saddles you can just raise or lower them until they are right. http://projectguitar.com/tut/action.htm

sorry if you already knew this, but a lot of times people will try to fix the action by adjusting the truss rod when the truss rod is fine and all you need to do is adjust the saddles. and adjusting the truss rod can mess up the neck if you don't know what you're doing.
Hey, I gave up, but now I'm back
Nope, lube didn't work.

Quote by The4thHorsemen
you realize that the saddles on the bridge are the main factor in setting the action (string height) and the truss rod is for getting the neck bow right (which MAY be able to help the action if you simply can not get it low without buzzing using the saddles)
You can physically tell it's bowed. I've tried making the action lower, but it just causes fret buzz. The height at the 7th fret is about the thickness of a CD (it's all I have on me right now). I can't bend on the treble strings above the 15th, it just shorts out.

And no problem, I know what you mean.

I'm taking it to a tech in a few days, but I'm going to change the strings tomorrow so if you have any ideas, I won't mind trying them.
Are you sure you are turning the truss rod the right way? You need to loosen it with an anticlockwise turn to correct back bow.

Quote by AntiG3
but now I changed to .011's, and that's most likely making it worse.
Heavier guage strings should make it better, and try raising the action of the bridge.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Dec 27, 2009,
Quote by AntiG3
It's bowed. As in, too little action.

sounds like my weiner.

Seriously though, 11s shouldn't make it worse, that is puzzling.
I mean it's in a U shape right now, so the headstock is bent towards the bridge (...If that makes any sense ).