i have a boss gt-8 and still looking for an amp.Question...

1) What amp will best suit my gt-8. I want a nice mid-range, warm jazzy tone and be able to play rock tune as well.. I play mostly by myself at home and for band practice, so i wont be needing a "big" amp.

2) let say i wanted to play more heavy rock and metal tune, will the amp you people suggested on my 1st question be good enough? or it will need different amp?
I'll answer Q2 as it could cover 1 as well.
Hayden MoFo
Its a 30w valve head (don't think it comes as a combo) that has good cleans and great distortion. For home it has a power reducer to 2w so ideal for practice. Price is around £400 plus at least a 1x12 cab that can handle it.
If thats a bit strong on price, you can look used for any decent valve amp/combo but you'll probably have some compromises. Sound quality, poor distortion, loudness etc.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

It's effectively worthless recommending a combo or head here.

I'd probably say, try picking up a rack Power-Amp & a cab, as your GT-8 would run as the Pre-Amp.

You'd get the best sound out of your GT-8 that way too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by britishsligean
you could look at the blackstar ht-5, peavey valveking 112 or a peavey 6505

Deffinatly non of these, esspecially the 6505.
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
It's effectively worthless recommending a combo or head here.

I'd probably say, try picking up a rack Power-Amp & a cab, as your GT-8 would run as the Pre-Amp.

You'd get the best sound out of your GT-8 that way too.

This.

Or a Roland JC-120.

EDIT: missed the price range, old JC-120 used possibly? Dunno how much they go for used int he US.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Oct 22, 2009,
I would go with the Roland Jazz-chorus, we have the same setup at college and you can get some pretty good sounds. Great for the jazz stuff you wanna do and with you Boss pedal can do the rock and metal.

Although i will say lots of players start to dis-like multi-fx pedals over time, so you'd be best getting an amp that can do what you want without the Pedal if you ask me.
get the rack power amp and a cab like someone else said. avatarspeakers.com makes cabs that are pretty affordable and gives you speaker choices. You can deal directly from the site or he deals on ebay directly.
Roland Jazz Chorus used, if you're using the models on the GT-8 maybe the Fractal Audio atomic amp? It's 199 above your budget but it's built for these kind of situations specifically.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-at-reactor.html
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.