I have some 9-42 electric super slinkies; can I put them on an accoustic guitar?
Hai 2 u
I mean you CAN but that's kind of why there are acoustic strings and electric strings.

When I first started playing guitar I definitely did this before, for no reason really. I mean I doubt you'll hurt anything. The only thing I could think of would be the reason that most (or all) acoustic strings start at .10 and go up. Maybe because if you just constantly use .9 all the time the next might get warped? Not sure.

You can totally do it but getting some regular acoustic strings on there is most likely the best way to do it.
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Champion 110

Guitars:
Fender Strat - HSS
Takamine: EG544SC-4C
Kay Acoustic

Effects:
Morley Bad Horsie II
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
yeah no problems methinks. but it would probably sound slacker than a hookers vagina.
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
You can, but there will be issues.

1. 9's are VERY low tension, therefore screwing up your action unless your guitar has been set up for 9's.
2. electric guitar strings are meant for amplification, not to be heard acoustically. It won't sound good.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
You can, but there will be issues.

1. 9's are VERY low tension, therefore screwing up your action unless your guitar has been set up for 9's.
2. electric guitar strings are meant for amplification, not to be heard acoustically. It won't sound good.

number 2 depends on the kind u use. i used dean markely blue steels on my crappy acoustic once, and it sounded better. cleaner for a better use of words.
Quote by mullet1337
Holy ****. **** you. You ****ing ****.
Blue steels are acoustic strings as well. I've used them before.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
sounds super bright my mate does it all the time he likes the sound
Quote by captivate
Blue steels are acoustic strings as well. I've used them before.

well, true they got both. ive tried both on my acoustic, and both are pretty bright. just the lectric ones have some bendability.
Quote by mullet1337
Holy ****. **** you. You ****ing ****.
Quote by Roads5
I have some 9-42 electric super slinkies; can I put them on an accoustic guitar?

What's your main reason behind wanting to do this? Just because you have a set laying around? Curious about the sound? Too cheap to buy a set of acoustic strings? Too far to go to buy a set of acoustic strings? New at acoustic guitar and regular strings are killing your hand?

Captivate said it right already, but I'm going to add more anyhow.

1) Electric strings are for electric guitars, acoustic strings are for acoustic guitars.
2) That low of a gauge of string won't have near enough tension on them to properly drive the soundboard of an acoustic, thereby reducing the overall tone, volume, sustain and projection of the guitar.
3) Crappy intonation. Your guitar was setup at the factory to run (more likely than not) .011's, .012's, or .013's, all in the acoustic string category.
4) If you decide that you want to keep doing this with the .009's, then the guitar will need to be setup to accommodate those strings. If you want to change back to the proper gauge for your acoustic, then it would need another setup. Each can cost $20-30.

Yes, to answer your question, you can do it. Is it worth it to do? You decide after reading all of the replies.
Three words: Volume, intonation, sustain. They'll all be affected - negativly - if you use the slinkys on the accoustic. Like the previous post have said there is a reason why there's a difference between acc. and elec. guitar strings. You CAN do it but why do you want to? :s As far as neck warp is concerned i wouldn't worry about that but i would imagine the guitar will sound like crap with slinkys..
I found it depends on the guitar. I am rockin 8s on my acoustic since a regular sized string just sound terrible. Some guitars even with an action set up for 12 or 13s sound terrible but sound great with smaller gauges.
Quote by LeftyDave
What's your main reason behind wanting to do this? Just because you have a set laying around? Curious about the sound? Too cheap to buy a set of acoustic strings? Too far to go to buy a set of acoustic strings? New at acoustic guitar and regular strings are killing your hand?

Captivate said it right already, but I'm going to add more anyhow.

1) Electric strings are for electric guitars, acoustic strings are for acoustic guitars.
2) That low of a gauge of string won't have near enough tension on them to properly drive the soundboard of an acoustic, thereby reducing the overall tone, volume, sustain and projection of the guitar.
3) Crappy intonation. Your guitar was setup at the factory to run (more likely than not) .011's, .012's, or .013's, all in the acoustic string category.
4) If you decide that you want to keep doing this with the .009's, then the guitar will need to be setup to accommodate those strings. If you want to change back to the proper gauge for your acoustic, then it would need another setup. Each can cost $20-30.

Yes, to answer your question, you can do it. Is it worth it to do? You decide after reading all of the replies.

Leftydave sums it all up. If you were to use electric strings, you'd be better off with at least .010s or better, and you'd still probably have to get your intonation adjusted. Some people actually prefer the tone of electric strings on acoustics though (they usually use acoustic electrics and have soundhole pickups), Like some early Beatles Recordings. But if you're looking to play stuff that sounds anywhere's near that of an acoustic guitar....use acoustic strings.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!