So I'm selling my strat. Two Guitar Centers around me responded to my craigslist ad with interest in buying it. They said they can't talk about price over the phone. I don't want to go there if it's a waste of my time so I want some opinions on whether dealing with Guitar Center's used section is worth it. So I listed the guitar at $1200 and I was willing to go down to about $1050 (not mentioned in the ad). I would say the condition is near mint. The "Like New" Strats go for $1407.99 on MF and the "Very Good" go for $1279.99. They both mentioned the Fender 60th Anniversary in the email since it's an '06 which leads me to believe that it's more desirable than other years to them. Do you think I'll get a good price for it or will they try to rip me off? Anyone have experience dealing with the used department there?
I wouldn't waste your time. They'll probably offer you maybe $600 for the strat. They're not in it to buy it, they're in it to acquire it for a low price, flip it, and make a big profit. And half of what they go for is usually what they pay, since they'll make twice as much what they payed for on it.
They will prob only give you 6-700 dollars so they can then mark it up and sell it for 1100.00

Tell them your not wasting your time unless they give you an idea of what they would offer you for it being in perfect condition.

You will make more selling it privatly than to guitar center
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Most retail sellers will give you 50 to 65% of what they will re-sell it for, probably $600 - $750 in your case, maybe not even that. This is a bad time to sell to a retailer - I'd keep it on Craig's of eBay till someone buys it - you will be better off by a lot of cash.

I worked for a well known, respected local guitar shop many years ago, and I would never sell anything to one of them again, ever. I would hesitate to buy from one again, either after seeing how this guy did "repairs".

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Last edited by old mark at Oct 22, 2009,
as everybody else has said, they'll offer you essentially nothing for it. then turn around and sell for what you were asking or more.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
That's what I thought. I was just asking because I didn't want to spend money on transportation or my time for nothing. They did offer me a free pack of strings just for bringing it in though.
Quote by JELIFISH19
That's what I thought. I was just asking because I didn't want to spend money on transportation or my time for nothing. They did offer me a free pack of strings just for bringing it in though.

They buy strings by the thousands of sets - they are giving you about a dollar, dependiong on the brand of strings.

Stay away.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
find your guitar on ebay and find the average it goes for. theyll give you 75 percent of the average. thats how it works at my local GC and im sure every other does the same.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
Quote by old mark
They buy strings by the thousands of sets - they are giving you about a dollar, dependiong on the brand of strings.

Stay away.

mark

free strings are free strings. if you can get the set you want then its worth it. haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
i didnt know guitar center responded to craigslist ads...huh. but yea, GC is the kinda place that will give u a bad deal. try to get a private sale. if yur looking for a last resort, then maybe go to GC.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Yeah Guitar Center has responded to a couple of my Craigslist ads as well. Its more of a place you would go to if you just want to get rid of the guitar, since you don't have to wait for someone to respond to your ad
Quote by wdinc01
Yeah Guitar Center has responded to a couple of my Craigslist ads as well. Its more of a place you would go to if you just want to get rid of the guitar, since you don't have to wait for someone to respond to your ad

aka for crackheads