Page 1 of 3
Criticism of religion made illegal in Ireland:

http://www.examiner.com/x-8928-Philadelphia-Atheism-Examiner~y2009m7d11-Ireland-passes-blasphemy-law

Section 36 excerpt

(1) A person who publishes or utters blasphemous matter shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable upon conviction on indictment to a fine not exceeding €100,000. [Amended to €25,000]

Section 37 excerpt

(1) Where a person is convicted of an offence under section 36, the court may issue a warrant (a) authorising any member of the Garda Siochana to enter (if necessary by the use of reasonable force) at all reasonable times any premises (including a dwelling) at which he or she has reasonable grounds for believing that copies of the statement to which the offence related are to be found, and to search those premises and seize and remove all copies of the statement found therein

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/libel-and-blasphemy-bill-passed-by-the-dail-1813479.html

United Nations Anti Blasphemy Resolution:

http://www.indexoncensorship.org/2009/10/us-hypocrisy-on-free-speech-at-united-nations/

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/10/column-just-say-no-to-blasphemy-laws-.html

Pat Condell youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjSjpNe1-Vc&feature=sub

Christopher Hitchens on CNN (4:20):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQbPYxTL9D4&NR=1

Thoughts?
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
It won't last.

EDIT: I wonder how that'll work out for Dawkins.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Last edited by andrew12398 at Oct 22, 2009,
That is just bull.

EDIT: God can suck it, too.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
ECHR will strike it down almost immediately.
The Irish atheism organisations have been making the most insulting blasphemous statements they can possibly make in order to get prosecuted under it, no-one has been.

Observe: Jesus was a limp wristed ******.

...*waits for government agents*

Also, this was on TV here last night

This is a stupid attempt by our lazy incompetent government to avoid an expensive and boring referendum. The law will never be enforced because the moment it is the supreme courts in Europe will strike it down and it will cause a constitutional crises here.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 22, 2009,
Sounds god damn stupid.

Quote by Ur all $h1t

That's like my favourite father ted episode
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
damnit Ireland, first abortion and now this.

And father Ted FTMFW

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
European culture is dying. In Sweden you can't criticise miniorities who demand Sharia, burqa etc from swedes. If you criticise muslims in Sweden you're racist and an evil man. And the politicians won't even discuss migration at all. They deny to see the fact that Sweden needs to put demands on the people who come here, not the other way around. People can do whatever they want in Sweden but the consequences are non-existant.

This summer/autumun immigrants threw rocks at trams, cars, burned cars etc and they got rewarded with job opportunities whilst the police was called out as the bad guy in this.

It's pathetic and frightening.
Oh also, at some baths women and men can't bath together because of demands from muslims. I'm kinda tired of this bullshit tbh.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Last edited by JohnnyGenzale at Oct 22, 2009,
This just kinda proves that the world is ruled by ignorant, close-minded, power hungry dumb****s.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote by andrew12398
It won't last.

EDIT: I wonder how that'll work out for Dawkins.

Academic criticism is protected under it.
Even if it wasn't this will never be used. It will remain on the books but will be allowed to gather dust. Irish law is like that. We have heaps of stuff that's technically illegal "but sure it's grand, just don't push it boyo".
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by hugh20
damnit Ireland, first abortion and now this.

And father Ted FTMFW

Our abortion laws are a good example of how stuff works over here. None of the political parties touch it with a ten foot pole, the two biggest ones don't even have a policy on it. The third biggest (Labour's) is effectively a deliberately TL;DR legalistic mumbo-jumbo statement about the constitution that amounts to "we'll see how it goes, stop asking". The real policy is "It's illegal, but sure just go to England on the sly, we won't mind".
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Section 37 excerpt

(1) Where a person is convicted of an offence under section 36, the court may issue a warrant (a) authorising any member of the Garda Siochana to enter (if necessary by the use of reasonable force) at all reasonable times any premises (including a dwelling) at which he or she has reasonable grounds for believing that copies of the statement to which the offence related are to be found, and to search those premises and seize and remove all copies of the statement found therein

Ha, I never knew they had to come at a reasonable time. So you can actually sue them if they break down your door at 3am, even if you're guilty?
What if a Christian speaks blasphemy jokingly? Will it work out the same way?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

^
This law came in a few months ago.
Nama is far more shameful. Or the fact that our Taoiseach looks like Jaba the hut.
Quote by The_Casinator
...And how are they going to force the Irish to follow that law?

They won't, as I said this will never be enforced.
I could go outside the Dail right now and start screaming blasphemies and they'd pretend not to hear me.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
BULL FUCKING SHIT.

Freedom of speech is literally being thrown out of the fucking window. I am actually pissed right off now... this is bullshit. I don't even LIVE in Ireland.
That law is already enforced in Sweden unofficially. That's great.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by blue_strat
Ha, I never knew they had to come at a reasonable time. So you can actually sue them if they break down your door at 3am, even if you're guilty?

From what I read that would be true, although I don't live in Ireland. I do hope they try breaking down doors at 3am and get their arse sued, that'd be quite epic
Quote by lockedandlogan
Let me get this straight. You're asking a bunch of people who are sitting at their computers, likely due to boredom, what to do for fun.

Quote by GaijinFoot
Old chinese proverb says: Man goes to bed with itchy bum, wakes up with smelly finger

Wise words
Did this just get closed for a second or am I seeing things?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
This is just dumb.

Quote by Kensai

I clicked the wrong button. It's a habit.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
^
Nama is far more shameful. Or the fact that our Taoiseach looks like Jaba the hut.
I could go outside the Dail right now and start screaming blasphemies and they'd pretend not to hear me.

You're right though. Realistically this will never be enforced. This law isn't even worth the paper it's written on. Just a waste of time and money.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Is it just blasphemy against Christianity though or against all existing religions?

All religions I'm guessing, but it'll probably only be enforced for Christianity.

Why was this temporarily closed?

Quote by Kensai

No I saw it too.
Quote by Zinnie

Quote by Kensai

I saw that too, glad it's being kept open though.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by andrew12398
All religions I'm guessing, but it'll probably only be enforced for Christianity.

Why was this temporarily closed?

No I saw it too.

Won't be enforced for anyone. If it is it will be stuck down.
It was just so our Justice Minister could say he's been doing something with himself, as he's a useless stupid bastard.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Won't be enforced for anyone. If it is it will be stuck down.
It was just so our Justice Minister could say he's been doing something with himself, as he's a useless stupid bastard.

I sorta meant if it actually is enforced.

It would sort of be like the whole WWII holocaust situation (bad example?), but without the killing. I don't think the Justice Minister realizes how much blasphemy is spoken.
Quote by Zinnie

Quote by eterom11

Almost as disgusting as Harney
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
^

Considering the fact that you live in Ireland and judging by posts i've seen by you in the past, you're an intelligent person, it certainly is somewhat relieving that you're so confident this isn't going to be enforced.

But I live in Australia, and between this and the mandatory internet filter that has been proposed I find it scary that people are trying very hard to do this.

I don't think that this will happen in my country or the United States anytime soon, I can't really comment on anywhere else because i'm not familiar with their politics, but I still think it's worth paying attention to.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
This thread was re-opened?

This could be the beginning of the end boys!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Rocker_69
Considering the fact that you live in Ireland and judging by posts i've seen by you in the past, you're an intelligent person, it certainly is somewhat relieving that you're so confident this isn't going to be enforced.

But I live in Australia, and between this and the mandatory internet filter that has been proposed I find it scary that people are trying very hard to do this.

I don't think that this will happen in my country or the United States anytime soon, I can't really comment on anywhere else because i'm not familiar with their politics, but I still think it's worth paying attention to.

It only happened here because the constitution requires it and they didn't want to have to run a referendum to amend the constitution because that's expensive and distracting.
I really can't see it being enforced. Groups like Atheism Ireland have been making statements in an effort to get themselves prosecuted under it so that they can take it to the EU and have it struck down, but the government won't take the bait.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
WHAT THE ****!!!

Get me out of this stupid country

We're all going to have to take the boat soon anyway to avoid NAMA, so don't worry, we'll all be going with you.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by CoreysMonster
and people call the Americans the idiots of the world

Would you like some help with that chip on your shoulder?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Jesus Christ, that shit is ****ing ridiculous.

Free speech seems to be on the way out most places.

Also, I think that this video should be linked in this thread: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kAumULvsKY
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
Page 1 of 3