Hello UGers! I thought I might have to get a multi-effects unit of some sort (probably boss me-50) but I found a sweet deal on ebay for a peavey triumph 60 which has reverb, distortion, and ultra gain. After that, if I just wanted to screw around, i could get a wah or something and that would be all I really need, I think. I play classic rock, blues, some alternative.
if you don't need all the effects...then I'd just get a wah. It'd be cheaper...and wah pedals usually sound better than the wahs on multi fx units anyway but the boss me-50 is one of the few multi pedals I like.