Voters: 40.
WHICH ONE IS BETTER!?!?!?!

EPIPHONE LES PAUL CUSTOM

OR

GIBSON LES PAUL STUDIO FADED
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
The Gibson, though not by much if it's faded. I'd suggest passing on both and saving.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
the epiphone looks much nicer, and once you swap out the pickups it will be a better guitar
It's all about feel
Quote by stephen_rettie
with a no name chinese amp they're gonna sound much the same.

this.

Quote by Kevy Absolution
The Gibson, though not by much if it's faded. I'd suggest passing on both and saving.

the faded series have the same electronics and build as a standard model, only it isnt as shiny/sanded as well as coming with a gig bag as opposed to a hard shell case.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Try then buy.
With a Gibson Studio, you can find a real good one if you play all that you see. Of course, you'll find plenty of bad ones, and that's why you try then buy.
I'd personally get the Gibson.
No vs threads.

Especially when it's so damn vague.

*reported*

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
No vs threads.

Especially when it's so damn vague.

*reported*

Why are people so anal about vs threads? It seems like people only look for the word versus and immediately report it. If the thread title was "Which one is better," you probably wouldn't have reported it. It's not vague at all. He's asking which similarly priced Les Paul is better. What more information do you want? They're both Les Pauls. Grow up and be helpful instead of just wasting peoples' time.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Why are people so anal about vs threads? It seems like people only look for the word versus and immediately report it. If the thread title was "Which one is better," you probably wouldn't have reported it. It's not vague at all. He's asking which similarly priced Les Paul is better. What more information do you want? They're both Les Pauls. Grow up and be helpful instead of just wasting peoples' time.

+ so much my head exploded

i hate people who just report every minor thing against the rules
VS threads mean no threads like metallica vs megadeth, stuff that starts flame wars
Guys Dont Worry Bout The Amp I Just Want A Guitar Comparison!
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Epi LP Custom with a pup change is better than the faded, imo. I'd rather have my custom than a low end Gibson any day. It'll never be a Gibson LP Standard, but I'm not a good enough guitarist to care. Just play both and go with whichever feels better.
I would go with the Epi myself. Im not a big of the faded series. I found out the hard way that low end Gibsons just aren't worth it.
Quote by Baby Joel
Try then buy.
With a Gibson Studio, you can find a real good one if you play all that you see. Of course, you'll find plenty of bad ones, and that's why you try then buy.
I'd personally get the Gibson.

this is one of the only intelligent posts in this thread.

nobody seems to take into consideration that the gibsons are invariably made of higher quality wood than the epiphones (even the studio/special faded series), and that the epi les paul customs are only really cosmetically different to the standards. good pickups may make an epi sound better than a stock gibson... but the same pickups in a gibson will likely sound extreme amounts better, because of the wood.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube

nobody seems to take into consideration that the gibsons are invariably made of higher quality wood than the epiphones (even the studio/special faded series), and that the epi les paul customs are only really cosmetically different to the standards. good pickups may make an epi sound better than a stock gibson... but the same pickups in a gibson will likely sound extreme amounts better, because of the wood.

this is true but if your on a buget and its either the gibby or the epi+pickups then its the epi
Quote by Tedis1111
this is true but if your on a buget and its either the gibby or the epi+pickups then its the epi

yeah, of course.. but if you're on a budget there's hardly any point in getting an epiphone les paul custom, when the standards are just as good because there really are no major differences between the two, the standards just cost considerably less (get one in a solid colour to save even more!).
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
OK: I have a high end Epiphone; the SG/Les Paul Custom '61 re-issue, triple humbuckers, gold hardware, all mahogany, made in China.
AND a low end Gibson; A Les Paul Special Faded, 2 humbuckers, chrome hardware, all mahogany, made in the US.

I like them both - they are very different guitars, and I'd buy either one again, both if I could afford it.
In fact, I'm thinking of selling my Stratocaster and Telecaster to help pay for seconds of each.
Back in my youth, I did own REAL Les Paul Customs, one from '68, one from '74, and I have to tell you that for playing quality and sound, the "lower" Gib's are just fine, as are the higher Epi's.
I have been playing since the early '60's, and I'd recommend you play some of whatever interests you and buy whichever feels/sounds best to you....YOU will be playing it, not us.
You might not be happy with someone elses choice.
Good hunting, enjoy yourself.
mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
Last edited by old mark at Oct 22, 2009,
The Gibson will be better most of the time, it's just that simple. People like to rant about good Epi's all day long, but the truth is they are usually not as good. Of course, you get some Gibson lemons, but you know, I've played a lot less than people say.

Anyways, if you find a nice faded that you like it will be great. I played a couple of they simply sounded wonderful and played great. Better than any non-Elitist Epi I've ever played.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Epiphone through a POS amp = horrible tone

Any Gibson through a POS amp = horrible tone

And are you even going to get this or are you just asking questions?
Quote by Kurapica
The Gibson will be better most of the time, it's just that simple. People like to rant about good Epi's all day long, but the truth is they are usually not as good. Of course, you get some Gibson lemons, but you know, I've played a lot less than people say.

+100
Gibsons are just meant to be better. They're just use better materials. People say they would pick a good Epi over a bad Gibson but that's the obvious answer. You also have to consider that finding a good Epi is as hard as finding a bad Gibson. I personally haven't found either of them. It balances out in the end. The time it takes to find a good Epi could be spent finding a great Gibson. The Gibson will also have a greater resale value if you ever decide to sell it.
Quote by Blompcube

+1

This ALWAYS gets me. I really don't understand why people don't ever bring up the fact that you can also put aftermarket pickups in a Gibson too. I guess if you're trying to stay in a budget, then yes, but honestly, playing guitar is a long term thing, pickups are going to come and go, I've spent more money on pickups than I have on amps. The whole "buy an Epi and put new pickups in it" is nothing more than going for instant gratification.
too me the epiphone is like a sugar coated apple its still a fricken apple the gibson on the other hand is a pistachio ice cream tasteless but good =)
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by greendayispunk
too me the epiphone is like a sugar coated apple its still a fricken apple the gibson on the other hand is a pistachio ice cream tasteless but good =)

Why even make this thread if you already knew what you were going to say?
I don't really see your metaphor there... at all.

But hey, if you like Green Day so much... Les Paul Jr./Melody Maker an option?

I mean, Billie Joe's signature is a Les Paul Jr., with a P90. And majority of the albums are recorded with that guitar.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I don't really see your metaphor there... at all.

But hey, if you like Green Day so much... Les Paul Jr./Melody Maker an option?

I mean, Billie Joe's signature is a Les Paul Jr., with a P90. And majority of the albums are recorded with that guitar.

i considered a junior i will battle the faded and the junior later (in store whn i get the chance) but i dunno a junior isnt as tone full as a lespaul evn though i am always one the bridge pickup ALWAYS!
Gear:
-Peavey Valveking 112