Hello good people of Ultimate-Guitar i just signed up and saw that there were Forums so i figured hey why not ask some pros about some tips? iv been playing bass for maybe 2 months now and im not verry good at all so if theres any tips for a rookie id greatly appreciate the help thanks!!
Watch lots of youtube videos of people playing, listen to loads of music, practice ALOT. Im not a bassist but that helped me a bunch. Try to get some lessons off an experienced player to get started
Quote by MightyAl
Could be worse. Though from time to time, I would like to shoot them with rocket-propelled chainsaws.
practice alot. And get to the pit every once in a while for encouragment and lawls
❒ Taken ❒ Single ✔ Would like a sandwich

Vereor Deus

Quote by dann_blood
Branding!?!? THAT'S TOO PROGRESSIVE! I say bring back settlement payments in weights of lead and impalement upon wooden stakes!

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Oh! Sorry, I thought that was a braille name tag.
Practice practice practice. The FAQ has a lot of great tips and such for beginners. Best thing you can do is to get a teacher. There's nothing that will improve your skills more then lessons from someone experienced
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
to become a master at something, 10,000 hours of practice will get you there.

natural talent does nothing, you may suck now, but in a year, practice will determine if you're better than the guy who started when you did but already knows to play 3 Chili Peppers riffs.

join a band. it can just be other starters, but the more interaction you do, the better at it you will be.

scales are underrated in most rock circles. learn theory or risk always sounding exactly the same.

absorb everything you hear. do you like what the bass does? why? why not?

pay attention to gear- it's important. don't let it engulf you though.

lock the beat and the guitar together in cool ways, and people will love you.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
ill deffinately practice a ton but there arent many bassists where i live so finding a teacher may be difficult :/
okay sweet ill go to youtube in a little bit and just start absorbing thankyou everyone that psted on my forum im gonna follow all your directions and practice all the time now
There's an edit button...people tend to get mad when you double post.

Make sure your bass is set up properly...it makes playing much easier.
Nope, no sig here.
There's an edit button...people tend to get mad when you double post.

Make sure your bass is set up properly...it makes playing much easier.

if i delete this the thread won't make sense
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 22, 2009,
Dammit

I got a message that the connection failed so I hit back and tried again, same message.
Cell phone browsers FTL.

Also, what amp do you have, TS?

edit: The pit is our off-topic forum, btw. Make sure to visit the You Laugh You Lose and Demotivaitonal Pictures threads...lulz will be had.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Oct 22, 2009,
Practicing for 50 minutes every day is far better than a marathon of a few hours once every week or so, repetition is key.

There are tons of technique vids on youtube and guides all over the place, granted some of them are guys playing at high speed with chromatic scales, some of them will reinforce the thumb in the middle of the neck, dont bend your wrists, try to not tense up and just relax, and then the picking styles and various left hand thing like trills and muting.

Learn to play finger and pick style ... you'll probably end up liking one over the other but being able to pick either up for a new song and not having too much trouble is great, do it for the tone you want not looks.

http://www.studybass.com/ whoever made this site is a great person, it should take you pretty far for being only two months in.

The whole speed is the byproduct of accuracy thing, its true ... plus who cares if you can play really fast but the notes dont ring out well or theres string noise all over the place, just a really good idea.

Learn some theory a little later on, probably not a great idea to immerse yourself in it at this time as its a good idea to keep good technique habits and have a little bit of knowledge, they dont start teaching very advanced mathematics in 1st grade as much as they just set some foundation.

Yeh, good luck There is a Exercises guitarpro file that might have been made a powertabs file lately. Good warm ups for the most part and it should help you gain the strength you need you can also look in wonder at the Billy Sheehan stuff in it too xD
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quintuple-post? Never seen that before, god damn.

Also, you might want to get a book or something TS.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Quote by Thegian
Learn some theory a little later on, probably not a great idea to immerse yourself in it at this time as its a good idea to keep good technique habits and have a little bit of knowledge, they dont start teaching very advanced mathematics in 1st grade as much as they just set some foundation.

This, you'll get bored if you completely immerse yourself in theory, but make sure to get a good grasp on it and it least a basic understanding early on. If you start out practicing nothing but tabs, you can get caught in an endless loops of memorizing tabs and not knowing the how or why of bass technique.

Also, the most important part: have fun! Cheers!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass