Alright, so I'm thinking about ditching my T5 for a Telecaster. Problem is that I dont know which one to go for because there are so many models!

I'm deffinitely looking for a high quality one. Not a $4000 heavy relic or anything, but around $1200-1500 max. I play indie rock, modern country pop kinda stuff.

The looks of it is going to be important as well. Im not a fan of the black ones with a brownish burst and I dont want anything sparkly.

I'm thinking either a light blue one (but I've only seen that color available on MIM's) or a white one.

There was a guitar player that I saw at a show who had a white one, but there were 2 red stripes going diagonally across the the corner of the body and I thought that looked cool. Idk if that was a custom job or if Fender makes models like that.

I've looked into G&L stuff, but nothing caught my eye.

I'd like a nice breakdown of what tele's are great guitars right out of the box or with minimal set up. I have no knowledge of pickups and would like to know which ones come with a really great set of pickups or which ones to replace the stock ones with if I dont like them. Any help is really appreciated, im sorry im so guitarded its just that this is the first time I've ever given a nice pure electric guitar a thought since I've been doing the acoustic thing for so long.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
American Standard or Deluxe, maybe. Can't go wrong. Plus, the three tone sunburst on the deluxe is sexy.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I'd go for a Nashville Deluxe model. It has 3 pickups vs. 2 pups being standard and 5 way switching. Really its kind of like a strat in a tele body. And on the Nashville Tele the middle pickup is a Texas Special which is pretty hot and good for blues, rock, and country. I have one and I think it is awesome.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul
Cheap Acoustic
Marshall MG10
Peavy TNT130

I'd been looking into a telecaster as well, and have had my eye on this beauty:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Telecaster-FMT-Electric-Guitar?sku=511262

No, it's not a conventional tele, but I have heard NO bad reviews on it, and the only majorly small quam people seem to have is that it's made in Korea (the epi factory i believe) which i don't see as much of a difference to American made guitars.

+easy on the wallet (in comparison to others guitars of comparable quality) AUD $1300?

[edit]
Quote by Bright Light
I have no knowledge of pickups and would like to know which ones come with a really great set of pickups or which ones to replace the stock ones with if I dont like them.

these versions of the tele have STOCK Seymour Duncans Humbuckers + coil tap, think: thick heavy tones (LP) with ability to turn into a single coil (conventional tele/strat sounds)

GOOD LUCK!
Last edited by buid at Oct 22, 2009,
The best thing for you would be a Fender American Standard Telecaster. They come in a large range of colours (check the Fender site), usually cost just over a grand and are the archetype straight-forward Telecaster.

If you saved up a couple of hundred more there is the Deluxe version, which uses slightly higher grade woods, has a contoured body and neck heel for better fret access and more comfort, SCNoiseless pickups (which lose a little bit of the normal singlecoil tone, but are as close to hum-free as you can get without proper humbuckers, making them very versatile) and the S-1 switch which means you get a few more tones out of the guitar. When look at Strats, the Deluxe versions make a mockery of the Standard versions, but in terms of Telecasters the difference isn't quite so big - the Deluxe is definitely a better, nicer instrument, but the difference between them and the Standards isn't going to be worth the price increase for a lot of people.

You wouldn't really 'need' to change anything on either. Of cours eif further down the road you suddenly decide to join a black metal band then you'd need to change things around, but in terms of getting the basic, standrad Tele sound and feel, the two main American Fenders are the way to go.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Looked into First Act Sheenas? Anyways, as far as Fender goes...the nice reissue butterscotch ones are really nice and supa sexy!

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Last edited by jcp42877 at Oct 22, 2009,
American standard. top class. Mines is blizzard pearl which is a metallic grey. You can always consult mr duncan if you dont like the pick ups?
Make sure you like the sound before you put the money down. Most tele's have a very unique sound that some love, and some (like me) aren't very fond of...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
thanks for all the advice guys. I'll look into both the standard and the deluxe and see if the exrta cost is worth it to me. I'm gonna be keeping this guitar for a while hopefully and I want it to be near perfect from playbility to quality to aesthetics.

EDIT: I love your sig btw, biga, Anberlin is freakin sweet!

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Bright Light

EDIT: I love your sig btw, biga, Anberlin is freakin sweet!

I Agree!
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
whats the general consensus on the 2009 Special Edition Tele?

Are these just different from the American Standards for aesthetic reasons? Or is there something else about them thats worth the extra $100-$200?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-2009-Special-Edition-American-Standard-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar-?sku=620291

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Jayman80
G&L SC-2 imo! I'm really GASing for one of those babies.

I looked at it and didnt really like it. I have no need for a trem (i know I could just take it off) and it just doesnt look that nice to me. I'm still looking for opinions to the 2009 Special Edition Tele's though if anyone has feedback on those!

Dr. Z Stangray
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce