Well, neither of those is an amplifier. They're both just cabinets. Of the two, the Ampeg is the classic bass cabinet. Of course, you have to take into account how you are going to transport it. 8x10 cabinets weigh a ton and take up a lot of room. If you have a small car, it might not be feasable. The Mesa is a first-rate cabinet, too. Both are very high quality cabinets for putting out a lot of sound.
yeah, i know they arent lol, just what im used to sayin. but yeah, never really thought of size. thanks
Well, the Ampeg is going to be louder, it'll just move more air vs the Mesa. Think youve got any chance of trying either of them out in a store? I'd bet there would be a 8x10 display model at nearly any major retailer but the Mesa might be much more rare to come across.

Also, would you need to be able to handle 800 watts? Do you have another cab? All that good stuff, transport can definitely be a issue just as FatalGear41 said too.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
the mesa is more of a high-fi sound wich can be great for live perpouses but for recording it can make the bass sound "fake" i chose the ampeg 8x10 because the speakers have a character to them that other cabinets lack.

maybe you could decide by reading up on what cabinets your favorite artists use??
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
if it was me, I'd get the Mesa. it at least has a tweeter.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
THe Mesa is gonna have better build quality but the fact of the matter is the its an 8x10 vs a 4x10 so you really just need pick which of those cabinet styles you really want.
Completly different sounds out of those two, gotry them and decide your self.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul