Hi, I've played electric guitar for a little over a year so I decided I should try out the world of acoustic guitar. The only issue is that I don't know whether I would rather play classical or steel-string. I listen to a lot of metal, but that doesn't help narrow it down much because both types are used quite often. I kind of prefer how classical guitars look, but primarily I just don't want to buy one and then feel limited in what I can play on it. Thoughts? Thanks a lot!
Notorious S.I.G.
steel string guitars will feel more comfortable to you, since you've played electric, you may find it hard to play some accosutics, you may want to look at ovations which are preety close to electrics
Steel string would be much more comfortable for you, but you have to try out several to find one that you really like the feel of. I'd say just go to a store and just pick a few up, play them a little bit, see what you like.
if you prefer how a classical guitar looks, then buy a steel string grand concert or 00/000 sized guitar. they have the same size and shape as classical guitars but steel strings.

seagull folk (also has a cedear top like most classicals)
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211871253&listingid=51777318
btw, you can get a seagull folk in solid top or solid wood, so two different price ranges. i consider seagull a very good guitar. i have a seagull s6 and have a seagull grand arriving tomorrow.

taylor gc3
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_GC3%20Acoustic%20Guitar_-1_10052_10002_-49986100?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Steel%20String%20Acoustic-_-GC3%20Acoustic%20Guitar-_-TGC3XXXXX

martin 000-28EC
http://www.music123.com/Martin-000-28EC-Eric-Clapton-Signature-Acoustic-Guitar-514784-i1148380.Music123?source=ZWFRWXX&mr:trackingCode=1AF57554-D681-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

you don't mention a price range, so i thought i'd mention that the cheapest grand concert around is the rogue grand concert from musician's friend. you can find my review on the board.
Last edited by patticake at Oct 22, 2009,
Classical is best for beginners because it's easy on the fingers, strings are spread out more so it's easier to play, smaller body, and you can still learn chords and stuff on a classical. And they're also generally cheaper.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
A steel string acoustic is more versatile than a nylon string classical is. That's not to say that you can't play the same piece of music on each, but for the genre's of music you describe, steel string is the way to go.
And try before you buy, always if possible.
Quote by LeftyDave
A steel string acoustic is more versatile than a nylon string classical is. That's not to say that you can't play the same piece of music on each, but for the genre's of music you describe, steel string is the way to go.
And try before you buy, always if possible.

+1, Good advice.

Also, If I were you, i would post your price range up and the helpful people here will reccomend you something you'll love.
Music is an art form that celebrates potential. So long as you're looking for it, you'll always find it.
maybe try out a seagull entourage mini jumbo, too.
http://www.seagullguitars.com/productentouragerusticmj.htm

it should be close to the right price range - i hear that seagulls are a bit cheaper in canada.

Quote by xenophon979
Okay, thanks a lot guys! Yeah my price range is like preferably not a whole lot over $300 Canadian, 'cause after all I don't know how much I'm going to get into it. I kind of like the look of the Takamine GS-330S.
http://www.music123.com/Takamine-GS330S-Acoustic-Guitar-516304-i1148963.Music123
Myself as a newbie here and this my 2nd post ive been playing acoustic with no help what so ever apart from i learned the basic chords from internet

And now after few mths ive learnt some songs as i got them put on to a music sheet
and now can play through quite several songs

but only one song as such i can now master without the music sheets
and that song took time as i also had to get used to that F chord the song

" The Boxer" from Simon / Garfunkel i can now play without chord sheet but still better to go through it with song sheet once a day i say to keep my memory right on track

About what type of guitar m8 well like most here say better trying different shops and also different types of guitar and if possible take along a trusted friend whom also plays acoustic
guitar as myself i made a big mistake went on my own and it was my own fault that i picked an Ovation elec/acoustic guitar and payed £120 for in uk money not a lot but a complete waste of money

So i just learned the basic chords on that and i went travelled to a folk music bar
and spoke to a very gd acoustic guitar player and he put me right sais that the guitar i had got after i explained to him he sais it was worthless and he was correct
anyhow sais better with a wooden guitar lol yes i know i knew nothing about guitars
but was to anxious in wanting at the time

Anyhow i ended up looking on the gumtree site where this acoustic with case was going for £90 2nd hand but was hardly used and the bloke was a youngish guy whom obviously had got it the year before for £220 new at store and he just got fed up as never had patience to learn and put guitar aside and this was a 6 steel string acoustic "Alvarez RD20S and
he even delivered it to my door and it sounds good also
this made up for me jumping the gun when i purchased that Ovation elec acoustic guitar which was a waste of £120

So often if you are on a tight budget it is worth looking out the Gumtree site or similar i reckon for a bargain though maybe take someone along with you whom knows about acoustic guitars

As he shall tell you if all is fine with it ive never looked back and often you can get
a 2nd hand guitar in like brand new condition so tke your time about getting one
and dont rush as i 1st did ok and meantime stay cool
Last edited by Chanter at Oct 23, 2009,
Chanter, actually an Alvarez RDS 20S isn't all solid wood - it's got a solid top but has laminate back and sides. still no doubt a step up from the ovation.

btw, craigslist is another good place to look for used guitars. the only problem with someone new buying used is they don't know the things to watch out for and can end up with a problem guitar that a more experienced player would have recognized.
Quote by patticake
Chanter, actually an Alvarez RDS 20S isn't all solid wood - it's got a solid top but has laminate back and sides. still no doubt a step up from the ovation.

btw, craigslist is another good place to look for used guitars. the only problem with someone new buying used is they don't know the things to watch out for and can end up with a problem guitar that a more experienced player would have recognized.

I had made a slight mistake about the type of acoustic and ive since edited my mistake as its an Acoustic Alvarez RD20S

but the back/sides are made from Mahoganay and the top is a solid spruce top
so it is wooden with fret board rosewood
Last edited by Chanter at Oct 23, 2009,
If you're looking in the $300 price range then I'd definitely check out some used acoustics. Craigslist sometimes has many that haven't been beat on too much. If you're looking for new then clearly you're gonna need to stay away from stuff like Martin, etc, but Alvarez are good and I'm very pleased with my Ibanez SGT520VS. I paid like $299 for it new. Yeah, it's an entry level acoustic but like you I was playing electric long before so it suits me. Most important thing of course is to PLAY it first if at all possible so you can check intonation, etc. A lot of guys will try to pass off used guitars with warped necks and truss rod problems that will affect intonation no matter what you do and you'll end up spending a lot more repairing the darned thing. Good Luck! Definitely though you should go with steel strings since you're moving from an electric. IMHO.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Seagull is definitely the way to go for cheap quality in Canada. I know someone who got an all solid wood guitar for less than three hundred used around here. They are cheap and good.
Quote by patticake

Ye you are correct in that it isnt all Solid wood but i did say a solid top with mahoganat back/sides anyhow im not a serious player and just mess about for fun but ye i still tamper with new songs as yet anyhow keep at it patticake man