hey guys
So recently, my band's bassist quit because he had to focus on his schoolwork.
Originally, we thought he would be able to rejoin in a few weeks, but it turns out he wont be able to.
Then we started looking for solutions. We want to keep this within our school (so we can perform there), but unfortunately, he was one of the only 2 bassists we have, and the other is currently playing drums for us (and he doesnt wanna switch back). There is a third one, but hes playing guitar for us too, and we need 3 guitarists (right now, were playing Only For The Weak by In Flames, which has a rhythm gtr part and a pretty much continuous harmonized lead.)

So this brings us to our solutions: one of them is to put our rhythm guitarist on bass, but i think the song would sound incomplete without a rhythm gtr part. it would also involve teaching him a brand new instrument.

My solution is that we put the bass all the way up on our rhythm guitarists amp and have him play the rhythm gtr line. (he uses a 70w peavey vypyr)

Does anyone know how that would sound?
It won't sound like a bass at all. It'll sound like a guitar with the bass all the way up.
do a less demanding song. or personalize it to suit your band. its stupid to have someone switch instruments because of just one song. Unless you guys have other songs with that kind of requirements. giving the rhythm guitarist full bass will also sound really bad maybe give him an octave pedal or have one of the guitarist use a harmonizer pedal so you dont need 3 of them.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It won't sound like a bass at all. It'll sound like a guitar with the bass all the way up.

+1.05
Quote by guitarskater11
why don't you get a harmonizer pedal? then you only need 1 lead guitarist

This is what I was gonna say. Harmonizer pedal, and then you'll only need 2 guitarists.
I did this once, but the other wqay ound - My bass was being repaired, was not finished in time for a gig, so the leagd player loaned me his spare guitar, tunde the four bass strings an octave low, and I played it for one night.
It sounded odd, but it passed for one night.

mark
"I'm very happy to be here - on Earth." Les Paul, Inventors Hall of Fame induction speech.
yep, why not i`ve done it before i was asked to join a band where the drummer and bassist were related thing is the bassist was so bad we had to turn his amps down and i doubled up the basslines. sounded crap though

funny thing was he didn`t even realise that we were turning his amps down.......
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by TechnoLp
do a less demanding song. or personalize it to suit your band. its stupid to have someone switch instruments because of just one song. Unless you guys have other songs with that kind of requirements. giving the rhythm guitarist full bass will also sound really bad maybe give him an octave pedal or have one of the guitarist use a harmonizer pedal so you dont need 3 of them.

Obvious solution
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hahahaha, as a bassist this amuses the hell out of me. thats like telling a bassist to turn the treble all the way up on his amp to make it sound like a guitar.
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
hahahaha, as a bassist this amuses the hell out of me. thats like telling a bassist to turn the treble all the way up on his amp to make it sound like a guitar.

It's possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

Closest sounding guitar sound for a bass I have heard in awhile.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Maybe use a pitch shifter pedal?
You can indeed do this, it still won't sound like a real bass but it will be technically producing the same notes in the same octave as the bass would; only, it will sound like a synth-bass.

Anyway, I think all these solutions are stupid, quite simply. Just learn how to cover a song better so it works within your band set up. Changing how or what any of you plays for the sake of an additional tracked lead part on one song is completely stupid.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by guitarskater11
why don't you get a harmonizer pedal? then you only need 1 lead guitarist

well i actually had another idea similar to that
our rhythm guitarist uses an epi LP ultra II, which has 2 outputs
so my idea was that we run one to his regular guitar amp, and run another through my friend's digitech rp90 with the bass guitar setting on into a bass amp.
meh?
Have you considered playing the harmonies on bass, instead of using three guitar players?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Maybe put bass strings on the guitar and see if that will sound better
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by Tatsumaru
Maybe put bass strings on the guitar and see if that will sound better

There is no chance that they would fit in the nut or bridge.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Last edited by ozzyismetal at Oct 24, 2009,
Quote by STABxYOU
Have you considered playing the harmonies on bass, instead of using three guitar players?

^this^
there's an extra two strings down the bottom you know.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by ozzyismetal
There is no chance that they would fit in the nut or bridge.

plus you could end up breaking the bridge
you'd need to tune it tight enough...since the string wont tear tear the bridge will break
Quote by darkcheef
It's possible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tja6_h4lT6A

Closest sounding guitar sound for a bass I have heard in awhile.

Hell even The White Stripes manage it with 7 nation army.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by Crizzle
Hell even The White Stripes manage it with 7 nation army.

Jack White really can use a bass to sound like a bass.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Actually for this particular song you don't need 3 guitars. In Flames play it live quite often and they only have to guitarist, so listen to some live performances of the song and figure it out.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
Loop pedal? And just turn it on when you need it to? Turnig the bass all the way up will sound muddy and like poo.
Quote by 23:50 inbleach
can't i just eat the fucking cactus?

Quote by WildChicken
Go suck a cat westdyolf!

Quote by Cat Of Pain
So, West...

I hear you'll suck my cat...

Ill suck your cat
PEACE LOVE PANCAKES
call me zach

chocolate chip pancakes!
Quote by '93
plus you could end up breaking the bridge
you'd need to tune it tight enough...since the string wont tear tear the bridge will break

I agree it would be a pain in the ass but im pretty sure its been done before...
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Use 4 octave pedals and a phaser at the same time... One down an octave and the other one right after the first one up 12 steps then down 12 steps then the phaser at the fastest modulation or speed rate it can go then up an octave. It should solve all your bassist lacking problems.

but seriously...
just get a harmonizer pedal. Like the Boss PS-5. Or dont worry about having a bassist. Or teach one of your non musical friends how to play... thats what I did in one band... Also going from rhythm to bass isnt like learning a new instruments its normally more like taking away 2 strings and telling him to play one string at a time... (most of the time depending on the style.)
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust