Page 1 of 2
Hi i am new to this site and would just like to share a couple pics of my first guitar build. It is a semi hollow aluminum body with a Warmoth neck. The pickups are Seymor Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and Custom Custom at the bridge.I have been playing a littel guitar for 10 years or so and thing were alittel slow at work this summer so i decided to try my hand at it.Alot of my friends were very sceptically about what it would sound like (and so was I) but the end result was to say the least very surprising . The sound that come out of it is unbelievable. A friend that plays in a couple of different bands has be using it for a few weeks now has really put it to the test (he wont give it back) The only thing i have to work on is the weight it comes in at 13 pounds,I have figured a way to remove another 4 pounds and i think this will make it a very playable instrument. I'm just looking for some feedback on what everybody thinks.
Here is a link to some pics

http://s1014.photobucket.com/albums/af267/tbm1967/

Thanks
Last edited by tbm1967 at Oct 27, 2009,
shapes not to much to my liking, but nevertheless

thats pretty rad
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Quote by tbm1967
Hi i am new to this site and would just like to share a couple pics of my first guitar build. It is a semi hollow aluminum body with a Warmoth neck. The pickups are Seymor Duncan Pearly Gates in the neck and Custom Custom at the bridge.I have been playing a littel guitar for 10 years or so and thing were alittel slow at work this summer so i decided to try my hand at it.Alot of my friends were very sceptically about what it would sound like (and so was I) but the end result was to say the least very surprising . The sound that come out of it is unbelievable. A friend that plays in a couple of different bands has be using it for a few weeks now has really put it to the test (he wont give it back) The only thing i have to work on is the weight it comes in at 13 pounds,I have figured a way to remove another 4 pounds and i think this will make it a very playable instrument. I'm just looking for some feedback on what everybody thinks.
Here is a link to some pics

Thanks

How did you shape the aluminum and route it and stuff? You cant do it the same way as you would with wood can you?

And sound clips/vids would be nice
Impossible is Nothing
Wow, thats awesome!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Damn, that thing looks nice! I think you should paint the headstock like a metallic color, matching the body ofc. But I like it!
Looks nice. What's the tone like? Bright I would think.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Um, HOLY SHIT! That's crazy dude, nice work.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
Only thing I don't like is the neck pocket, but other than that, fantastic! Truly awesome. Great quality and time was put into this.
Quote by Jason Jillard
Thats poretty awesome.

you could remove like, a pound by not making the neck pocket so stupidly largee.

and i don;t like the patterend back, but the rest looks sweet..

maybye you could anodize the next one?

Anodizing this guitar would like shit.
Quote by SoulSlaughter
Damn, that thing looks nice! I think you should paint the headstock like a metallic color, matching the body ofc. But I like it!

I agree, I think the bare wooden headstock looks a little funky . But everything else is stinking sweet! Good job
anodizing isn't painting its the use of chemicals and electric currents to actually change the surface coulor, its still bare metal, just a diff coulor
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
Wow, that is... amazing.

How long did that take to make?
Looks Wicked!
You should put EMGs in that, because they do not depend on the bodies tone as much as a coil pickup(?)
One other thing, Neck pocket is a bit ridiculous... but, It doesn't matter much to me. I'm not the player of it.
..I was watching my death.
sweet job!!!! I like it!!!

if you anodize it, do black. anything else would look lame.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
im guessing you made the neck pocket like that because the back piece screws on in the top 2 holes...

you could just cut that part completely off and put the screw holes for the back in between the neck screw holes. or even better....just use the top 2 neck screw holes to hold the back piece on. like..the screw would go from teh back plate, thru the neck pocket, into the neck.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Quote by timbit2006
Looks Wicked!
You should put EMGs in that, because they do not depend on the bodies tone as much as a coil pickup(?)
One other thing, Neck pocket is a bit ridiculous... but, It doesn't matter much to me. I'm not the player of it.

actives are still coils of wire. just fewer wraps then boosted by a preamp. but you're right about it not involving body type as much.
Quote by timbit2006
Looks Wicked!

I think the sound with more transparent pickups would actually be great. A really bright, bell-like tone I'm guessing.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Hey everyone thanks for the coments ,Some i like and some im not to sure about but thats what this thing is all about. As for people that want to anodizing the body , if you had it in your hands you would definatly change your tune. i have seen it played on stage and its unbeliveable the way it looks.The first coment out of people is the sound and the second is the look.
Im not sure what people mean about the neck? It is cut and scalloped right down to the 22nd fret. Also the back support where the screws go in to fasten it to the body is only 1/2 inch thick I have a couple of Fenders and the same area on them is 1 inch.
So im haveing trouble trying to figure out the coments like Neck pocket is a bit ridiculous and neck pocket so stupidly large. Dont get me wroung im looking for the feed back but not sure what they are talking about. I just recived material and parts to start my next one so if anyone has some positive imput on this neck problem it would be greatly apreciated.
I added some new pics of the neck pocket.

As for the other questions i own a tool and Die shop so i have access to a couple pecese of equipment (CNC Mill) and time wise about 30 hours from start of design to assemly.

Thanks again
Blair
Last edited by tbm1967 at Oct 23, 2009,
When I said I didn't like the neck pocket, I was talking about the fact that there are slight bumps or ripples across it, taking away from the direct neck-neck pocket contact. But I'm pretty sure that's just the way aluminum is. I think it looks fine other than that.
MS PAINT FTW!

ok, neck pocket being large, i ment LONG.

as seen in the ms paint pic, it really only needs to be this long, it will also allow better upper fret access.

and as for anodizing:

Im not saying this guitar doesn;t looks sweet, i do enjoy the just regular polished metal, im just saying for the NEXT one, it would ALSO look sweet being a colour, u know.. do something a little bit different this time.
that looks really cool..
I'm not a huge fan of the shape or the diamond plate backing, but ..thats still pretty awesome.

what kind of body shape are you thinking of doing for the next one?
ever consider doing a neck, as well? (even though the whole guitar'd probably weigh a ton )

and if you don't mind me asking.. I have no idea how much a big block of aluminum costs..how much does just the body set you back?
Last edited by james4 at Oct 23, 2009,
Did you do the milling yourself, or did you have a shop do it? I've used www.emachineshop.com for laser cut amp chassis before, haven't had them do any milling work yet though.

Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
damn, i want one
probably has pretty good sustain too
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Most. Metal. Guitar. Ever.

Nice bro'
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Metalhead_28
Impressed!

That is pretty cool. But you should make an aluminum neck too!

i'd say build the neck stronger than aluminum. but i have no clue how it'd hold up anyway.
Jason i see what your talking about now. I could bring it back about 3/4 of an inch and still catch the screws and just put 1 screw to hold the back cover on. i,ll keep that in mind for the next on.

James the checker plate backing was only a short term thing, it was the only .030 material i had in the shop at the time. Iplan on changing it as soon as i get it back.
The material for the body cost $340 Can. How much would a block of wood cost? I have no idea about the cost of wood. My next one is going to made of Magnisium it is 40% lighter than aluminum but costs twice as much.
And has for the next one my daughter wants a Gibson SG style but im not into copying other peoples stuff. Any ideas????

DL yes i do all my own machine work and cad im just a 1 man operation. Im always looking for work!

I may still send this one out to have some engraving done ,somthing like this but not sure
Attachments:
!BRCdybQBmk~$(KGrHgoH-DsEjlLl)w!eBJ76gpCbIw~~_12.jpg
Quote by justinb904
damn, i want one
probably has pretty good sustain too

Hey justin everything is for sale make me an offer!
Page 1 of 2