Page 1 of 4
Alright, so I'm actually an American.
My mother married a German when I was 2, and at 9 years old we moved to Germany. I obviously had to learn german, and speak both english and german fluently.

But it's really weird being bilingual, because alot of times you don't even notice what language you're speaking in, or you tell friends of yours jokes that make no sense because you're thinking in the other language.

Any other bilingual UG'ers out there?
What language do you think in?

Quote by LordBishek
Yo, English and Hindi right here broseph

I don't know you very well, but I question that.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Well not really but I can speak English rather darn well. Sometimes think in it, too.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Hrmmm...

I only had this problem in first grade.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

this is a question every bilingual person has heard millions of times.

the answer is: it depends.
I have studied bilingualism from infancy at university.

Coreysmonster, on average you have a higher IQ, are better at languages and have a higher concentration, but are less good at maths
Quote by CoreysMonster
Alright, so I'm actually an American.
My mother married a German when I was 2, and at 9 years old we moved to Germany. I obviously had to learn german, and speak both english and german fluently.

But it's really weird being bilingual, because alot of times you don't even notice what language you're speaking in, or you tell friends of yours jokes that make no sense because you're thinking in the other language.

Any other bilingual UG'ers out there?

If you got trouble with 2 languages, imagine me with 4 -_-''
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I was born in the USA and moved to England when I was 3 (my parents were English though).

Not exactly different languages but I got teased at first for calling the letter Z 'zee' instead of 'zed'.

Those were rough times. Just when I thought I had the alphabet down...
i speak both English and Greek, however my English is far superior to my Greek, so the majority of my speech/thinking is done in English.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by CoreysMonster
this is a question every bilingual person has heard millions of times.

the answer is: it depends.

When you read this, right here, THIS, are you subconsciously translating it into German or English.

When you think of a reply, what did you think of it in first?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

English and Spanish.

I think in English.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Captain Panda
English and Dutch here

Same pour moi, though I do know a bit of German and French too ('twas mandatory in high school)

EDIT:
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
When you read this, right here, THIS, are you subconsciously translating it into German or English.

When I read that I read it in English, and keep it in English. I just 'get' what it means, so there's no need for me to translate. When I reply to it, everything's in English, too.
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Last edited by KoRnOnA6String at Oct 22, 2009,
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I have studied bilingualism from infancy at university.

Coreysmonster, on average you have a higher IQ, are better at languages and have a higher concentration, but are less good at maths

buh wuh?

*finishes calculating engineering coursework*

Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
I was born in the USA and moved to England when I was 3 (my parents were English though).

Not exactly different languages but I got teased at first for calling the letter Z 'zee' instead of 'zed'.

Those were rough times. Just when I thought I had the alphabet down...

mother of christ, I know what you mean. In germany, they teach english from the 5th grad on, but of course they teach the "proper" British english, and thus my "Zee" was declared false and wrong.

also, one english teacher said that "physician" is the same as a "physiscist"
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

That's a rephrasing of the same question

Why would you translate something when it's already in a language you understand?
I am fluent in both English and Glasgow Ned, as Glasgow Ned is constantly evolving it can be tough but i get by with hand gestures and offering them a smoke.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by KoRnOnA6String
Same pour moi, though I do know a bit of German and French too ('twas mandatory in high school)

We have a lot in common then

You also follow Latin by any chance?
Quote by Kneusje
Well not really but I can speak English rather darn well. Sometimes think in it, too.

I think that every dutchy speaks at least two languages. It's just our culture to learn a lot of other languages besides Dutch. And I think it's weird that I too sometimes think in English
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

As far as I'm aware Abishek was born in India, and even if he wasn't it's not unlikely that, as he is of that descent, that he would have learned the language from birth.

English and Gaeilge (Irish) right here. Heavily biased towards English though, as Gaeilge is useless for eveyday and I seldom have occasion to speak it unless talking to some of my mates or my grandmother.
I do think in Irish occasionally, as I found myself doing today.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 22, 2009,
Well i sometimes think in english, and i speak it preatty darn well. Not the same as being bilingual tho, thats a shame. But i gues growing up with cartoonnerwork taught me english.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Spanish and Catalan here, since birth. At home I speak Spanish, and with my school friends too, but now at university I always speak Catalan. And since I've always used both more or less equally, I can naturally think in both languages.
I also find myself thinking in English without even wanting it sometimes, but I'm obviously not as fluent.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I speak English and German fluently. Learned them both simultaneously as a very young child.
Quote by Mahoru
Spanish and Catalan here, since birth. At home I speak Spanish, and with my school friends too, but now at university I always speak Catalan. And since I've always used both more or less equally, I can naturally think in both languages.
I also find myself thinking in English without even wanting it sometimes, but I'm obviously not as fluent.

I know that Castellano and Catalan are technically two different laguages, but I personally wouldn't count them as such.
It's kinda like comparing Deutsch with Plattdeutsch, which is the same thing with a couple of different words, like Castellano and Catalan.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Why?
Quote by CoreysMonster
you're still high, aren't you?

I'm still GETTING high, if that's what you mean.
Bilingual? Try quadrilingual, bitches.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Bilingual? Try quadrilingual, bitches.

Multilingual, learn to English

Which languages do you speak?
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Yeah I'm also calling you on this kjell
Quote by CoreysMonster
I know that Castellano and Catalan are technically two different laguages, but I personally wouldn't count them as such.
It's kinda like comparing Deutsch with Plattdeutsch, which is the same thing with a couple of different words, like Castellano and Catalan.

I bet he won't take kindly to you saying that lol

I wish I was bi-lingual. I intend to learn Welsh after uni.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

I am good with bastardized english, and I can speak a couple of words in spanish, french, and german. 90% insults.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

http://www.yourdictionary.com/quadrilingual

I speak swedish, english, norwegian, danish and a little german, french and spanish.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah I'm also calling you on this kjell

Yeah you would call me on that
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Yeah, bilingual Spanish/English. Currently I alternate a lot between Spain and the UK so it varies a lot, but normally I prefer to read in English and speak in Spanish. 90% of the time I swear it's in Spanish.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by Kensai

I speak swedish, english, norwegian, danish and a little german, french and spanish.

Yeah you would call me on that

Huh, I always thought you spoke Italian as well for some reason.

Curiosity satisfied

By the way what is the word for pojke in Danish/Norwegian?
Quote by Kensai

Multilingual is the generally accepted term for someone who speaks more than two languages.
****ing continentals and yer multiple languages.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Oct 22, 2009,
Page 1 of 4